5.1 Budget Setup - oh no not again..

dvk

I have been reading these forums on and off for about a year, but I am just bewildered by choice..

My dilemma is something like this; I've just got a STR-DA1200ES and I am looking to get some new speakers. I don't have a lot of money to spend, but would like a 5.1 setup, preferably all the same make for continuity sake.

I have a budget of around £250 and obviously want the most bang for my buck. My only real criteria as far as specs are, I would like them to be black (or dark), have fronts that are wall mountable, and not overly bothered about a sub at the moment.

I have seen the Sony DAV-DZ630 (I believe that's the correct model) for 209.99. But can't find a review of it anywhere so am wary. What I have read, people seem to go towards the 5.1 Tannoy set (under 250) or the KEF KHT1005 (like 270?).

Any advice/recommendations would be recommended,

dvk

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Do it a bit at a time.

Get a pair of SVS fronts and a centre. I think that pans out at around £250ish.
Supplement those with some cheap second hand surrounds.
Then, when funds allow, get another pair of SVS for the rears.
Then, get a SVS sub.

That is the biggest bang for the buck, it just takes a bit of time :)

Trancerii

You could build it up slowly as per the above. If your looking for a quick solution though, I have the STR-DA1200ES and KEF 1005 and they are excellent. Very loud (havent distorted at any volumes ive tested at) and crisp, no regrets here. A very good 'budget' combo. :thumbsup:

uk.kv

I have been reading these forums on and off for about a year, but I am just bewildered by choice..

My dilemma is something like this; I've just got a STR-DA1200ES and I am looking to get some new speakers. I don't have a lot of money to spend, but would like a 5.1 setup, preferably all the same make for continuity sake.

I have a budget of around £250 and obviously want the most bang for my buck. My only real criteria as far as specs are, I would like them to be black (or dark), have fronts that are wall mountable, and not overly bothered about a sub at the moment.

I have seen the Sony DAV-DZ630 (I believe that's the correct model) for 209.99. But can't find a review of it anywhere so am wary. What I have read, people seem to go towards the 5.1 Tannoy set (under 250) or the KEF KHT1005 (like 270?).

Any advice/recommendations would be recommended,

dvk

Hi, in the market myself to replace both amp and speakers - I want to move away from the big floorstanders Tannoy M4's I have and replace with satellite style system.
In the running is Tannoy EFX and Kef 1005 (richer sounds) however I saw these Jamo's and they also come very highly rated vfm :

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...home-cinema-speaker-system-black/display.html

review :

http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/reviews...r-system-home-theatre-surround-sound-speakers

Would be nice to be able to borrow all three and see which sounds the best in your front room, but alas I don think that's possible

dvk

Thanks guys,

I appreciate that building up a system bit by bit would be better off in the long run, but I think it would hurt my bank balance a bit more too ;)

Those Jamo ones look perfect, I didn't come across them in my searching, thanks uk.kv, will seriously think about those, especially at the price.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Personally, I wouldn't go for the EFX or the 1001.
Hardly anyone has a good word to say about them on these forums and I agree.

I doubt the Jamos are any better, but I've not heard them, in all fairness.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.
I'd still go with the build it slow option, but it's your choice :smashin:

Trancerii

Personally, I wouldn't go for the EFX or the 1001.

What are the 1001's? You mean the KEF 1005? I've read plenty of good feedback on those (including my reply to the OP) and the Tannoy's actually. Worth every penny in my opinion.

dvk

I appreciate your comment's Badger, but those SVS speakers looked too intrusive. I must also mention that I'm hardly an aficionado on sound (had multiple operations on my ears as a child, and have crap hearing anyway) so I reckon whatever I get it will sound great :)

dvk

I went for the Jamo's as they were within my budget/criteria. They arrived this morning, will let you know what they sound like.

The build quality feels good anyway, and they are a very nice size.

I ordered them from audiovision.co.uk, with free cable etc, and they arrived promptly, apart from I had to fax a letter head to get it sent to my company address, which was a pain.

Very happy so far, thanks for the advice guys.

uk.kv

I went for the Jamo's as they were within my budget/criteria. They arrived this morning, will let you know what they sound like.

The build quality feels good anyway, and they are a very nice size.

I ordered them from audiovision.co.uk, with free cable etc, and they arrived promptly, apart from I had to fax a letter head to get it sent to my company address, which was a pain.

Very happy so far, thanks for the advice guys.

Hi - What do you think of the Jamo's ??

dvk

Sorry still haven't set them up, been very business this weekend. Will hopefully have them set up this week and will let you know my thoughts.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom