5.1 Audio Test Disk

Foxman50

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Im after, preferably free :), a test disk to test the timing/distances of my speakers. Ill explain a bit. I have a BD player which i use the 5.1 analogue outputs from. I take the FR/FL outputs and feed this to a stereo amp. The RL/RR/C and Sub outputs feed an AV amp. This works well for me, with a bit of volume control tweaking as i have to use two controls. Unfortunately my AV amp doesn't have pre outs :(.

Anyway what im after is a test disk that basically plays a short sharp note out of all channels. This will allow me to make sure my my timings from each speaker are correct. Im aware that i obviously cant get this down to the last millisecond with my hearing but should be adequate. I have test tones and the like but they don't help in this respect.

Is there a way to even create this on a PC and burn to a DVD. any help would be much appreciated.

Regards Graeme

No human could tell the difference, AV amps have micro processors to calculate speaker distance with the calibration mics. Can you tell the difference between -/+ 2 meters when the speed of sound is 340 meters a second? Really?

A test disc with 5.1 white noise is useful to calibrate system levels, you can do this with a sound pressure meter. Avia or other discs have these tests.

Hi Stephen
To answer your question, i don't know which is why id like something free to try. I agree i don't expect to get it perfect, but would be an interesting experiment none the less.

Actually that's not a bad idea. Change the speaker distances to way off what they should be and see if i can tell. They must put the setup menus in there for a reason.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom