5.1 and front presence vs 7.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 1998 R1, Jan 5, 2012.

1. 1998 R1

1998 R1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Ok my room is not a perfect shape for 7.1. Which means when 7.1 is not available 5.1 is also not as it should be.

I'm running a yam 1067 currently so I'm thinking that maybe 5.1 and front presence maybe a better option.

Is anyone running this set up??

I have done a search for this but the threads that come up are all 500+ posts, please help I have don't have the patience to search through that much info.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. tyson73

tyson73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hello m8 im running that very set up with a yamaha rxv 2067 but as far as ive experimented so far i cant really tell much difrence between the 2,Also front presence only works when using the cinema dsp modes

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,409
    If you layout is not ideal for 5.1 I fear adding more speakers is not really going to help your situation (sometimes less is more). Maybe a description or diagram of your room could help understand what you have and what you plan.

4. 1998 R1

1998 R1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I guess what I'm saying is that I've gone in with two fat feet and put in two speakers more than I should off, if I swop my surround backs to just surrounds the 5.1 set up will be as it should be. But then I've got two spare satellites which I could easily move to front presence.

Tyson how often do u use the cinema dsp modes?? I try to run stuff straight if I can??

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,409
    Since you have the speakers you could try them up as presence speakers to see if they sound any better. But it may be better to just accept the extra speakers were the wrong choice and just stick with 5.1.

6. 1998 R1

1998 R1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Ok. I'm gonna take that advice and switch down to 5.1 over weekend watch some movies to see how much the of a difference the poorly placed extra speakers make.

7. tyson73

tyson73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I dont normally use the dsp modes myself as i dont like them either.Only been running this current set up for a few weeks had 2 extra speakers lying round so thought i would try it,in the manual it recomends mounting the 2 front presence speakers quite high up either side of tv maybe little further apart mine are sat on top of the av cabinet so that maybe why i cant tell much diffrence at the moment,like i said before the presence speakers are designed to work with the dsp modes and will only come on when you switch it on connect them up and see what you think you can always switch back to 5.1 :smashin:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  8. tyson73

tyson73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Ive just added a picture of what my setup looks like with the presence speakers just to give you an idea of the font presence speakers position :smashin:

9. 1998 R1

1998 R1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I can get mine easily to the correct position i.e. just over a metre across from the fronts and about a foot down from the ceiling and let you know if there is any real difference with the speaker in the correct place. I guess the upstairs carpets are coming up again!!!

10. tyson73

tyson73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Ok m8 let me know how you get on will be good to here from you as i may mount mine on the wall in the correct positions if you notice a real diffrence :smashin:

11. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Is 'front presence' Yamaha's word for 'front height'? If so then I can share my story. Otherwise ignore it!

My room was originally set up pretty poorly for surround. Just 4 cables to the top corners of the room for fronts and surrounds, with the TV (and centre) off-centre, almost in the corner. Not ideal, as I'm sure you can imagine. All 5 speakers were small satellites from an Onkyo AVR+sats package.

Then I did some work on the lounge, and wall-mounted the TV in the centre of a wall and got some good XTZ 5.0 speakers. Fronts are floorstanders so not a problem. Large centre is wall-mounted, as are the bookshelf surrounds (using the original cables in the rear top corners). They're all pretty perfectly located, except for the fronts being a little close together.
    This left me with the two spare cables in the front top corners, and the Onkyo sats were already mounted there. So I left them rather than take them down, to use as front-height channels.

Now I've had a good play with them, I can hear very slight differences between direct 5.1 and processed 7.1, for some films. But I think I probably prefer straight 5.1.
    I've left the spare speakers up though, as it's easier than taking them down and hiding the cables and drilled mounting holes!

12. 1998 R1

1998 R1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Just watched men in black in 5.1. Bloody hell it is major difference to the 7.1.

The surrounds seem to have burst into life.
    The little ms302s have sounded better than ever before!!

Will try the front presence tomorrow.