1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 Analogue upgrade?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by gump, Nov 20, 2004.

1. gump

gump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Couldn't see any threads on this, or detail on the Tag site, after a bit of info..

Bought an ex-demo Av32R a few years ago, just as the 5.1 bypass model came out. The unit had upgraded DACs, and a few other bits, and at the time, I completely ruled out an anologue bypass as being useful as it was such a retro step - I thought this would soon be replaced by a digital standard...
    Well, we now have some digital interfaces, but as far as I know none available for the AV32. About to upgrade to a multi std DVD player and would like to try SACD/DVD Audio, problem being I have a great processor, but no facility to play this material!

Questions are: Is the 5.1 bypass available as an upgrade? (Would think maybe so, but would be quite involved due to functionality??)
    and secondly, has there been any discussion about a digital interface upgrade for AV32?

Thanks,

2. Alex_London

Alex_London

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't answer your question about the digital interface upgrade... but I know that you can definitely upgrade the AV32R 5.1 or AV32R 7.1EX with 5.1 bypass.

If I remember correctly (last time I looked at the prices they were on the old TAG site), the upgrade costs between £450 and £500 (depending on which AV32R you have - between 5.1 and 7.1).

An email to the IAG helpdesk should confirm these prices for you (and please post to let us know too!).

Cheers
    Alex

3. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    More like £685 for just the 5.1 bypass

That includes the new back panel and the pcb fitted inside.

But don't forget the £199.99 surcharge if your unit is over 18 months old

4. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Quote "has there been any discussion about a digital interface upgrade for AV32?"

Of course but no info from IAG :nono:

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    A "discussion", its about 45 posts long now......
    £600+ for "just" the 5.1 bypass....jezzzz, sorry but I couldn't justify that even if it included being able to be TMREQ'd........ My advice, hook up your player to the standard stereo analogue pair and listen to the two channel mix of SACD/DVD-A, its probably a better mix anyway....

6. gump

gump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ooooooww!!

Thats pricey!
    Unit is defo over 18 months old. That means its nearly £900 for 5.1 analogue preamp. Ouch!!

Thanks for the info, when the upgrade costs that much, makes me wonder whether to sell and replace. Would be easy decision if I wasn't so pleased with the performance and functions. One of my 'most pleased with' buys ever. Will hang on and see what happens.

The digital interface "discussion" - deserved a bit of a flaming for that one.. ;)