5.1 again

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by alpha10, Jan 31, 2002.

Tags:
  1. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Everyone keeps asking questions about DD5.1 and sky, so I thought I would add one!

Does anybody know of a manufacture who is going to bring out a boggo sky receiver that supports DD5.1, if so when and what sort of price?

Cheers

2. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    pace sky + only at mo

3. Tony P

Tony P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The slim Sony Digibox was intended to be compatible with proposed 5.1 broadcasts, but when Sky+ started Dolby Digital transmissions the best it could output was Dolby Surround for Pro-Logic equipment. Still don't know the exact details of why it dosen't work, but my money would be on Sony modifying their model to handle 5.1.

4. Tony P

Tony P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been doin' some checking, and the general feeling is that Sony made their Digibox and optical output to Sky's specifications - and it was known by Sony that the best sound format the optical connection could carry was Dolby Pro-Logic. Apparently, it was never capable of carrying Dolby Digital 5.1.

Now, I'm not one of those people who complain about Sky and their plan for world domination, but in this case I fear Sky are openly preventing third-party manufacturers from providing 5.1 enabled hardware for non-Sky+ subscribers.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, if anyone has more info.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I doubt there is anything really stopping a third party from making a DD5.1 enabled box but they could never be given away as part of a subscription deal by SKY.
    This would severly limit the models profitability to such a point it would not be worth making.
    I suspect that is why the SONY if it could be enabled never will be.