1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1/7.1 stereo - dolby digital - matrix - pro logic?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Napier, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dear All,

I am wondering what setting everyone else uses on their reciever to watch movies. I seem to prefer 5.1 stereo mode when watching films as it gives a more encompassing sound. However should I be using Dolby digital to give a true feel for things or pro logix? I m confused as to what setting to use, I have a Denon 3805 can someone help please?

Napier

2. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    When watching DVD's I use whatever is coming off the disc (either DD or DTS), Using pro-logic will try to simulate effects that the director didn't intend to be there. This may be why you find the sound more encompassing, becuase you are introducing sounds in the rear channels that aren't there on the soundtrack.

When watching normal TV (through Sky+), I use DTS Neo:6, I find that this works really well with Stereo and Pro-Logic broadcasts.

Ultimately it's a matter of personal preference. If you like to have more coming from the rear channels, you could always try adjusting the channel levels on those speakers to compensate.

HTH

3. Napier

Napier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But what about the 5 channel stereo mode? I don't mean in DD or PLII just on pure stereo mode. That is what I mean by encompassing, the other modes you mention seem to come more soley out of the front speakers and the centre. Have you tried the stereo mode what is it for is it purely for listening to music? I prefer this mode for music rather than direct/pure direct mode as with the later I only hear sounds out of the front speakers and I like it coming out of them all.

What are your thoughts.

Napier

4. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    With music I use the pure direct mode, I prefer it this way, though the imaging on my setup is pretty good, so I don't feel I need the support of the other speakers.
    If I have people over and I want background music, I use 7 channel stereo and turn the volume down for ambience.

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    with 5 channel stereo you will lose the front to back panning of sounds and any 'rear only' action.

With all 'true' surround sound modes (as recorded or calculated) the rear channels typically are quieter than the rest - after all most the action happens on screen and not "infront of" the screen.

Personally I use DTS where available and DD where it isnt - I have an independant setup for stereo so other than an initial play havent givent it a serious listen to.

Pure Direct (and its equiv) is in theory gives a better sound as all the digital aspects (video processing, surround sound processing) are turned off so reducing interferance. In many peoples setups the L & R channel also are much better speakers than the rest of the system and so this can also be a consideration.

The final thing to say - its your setup and your enjoyment at stake - do what ever sounds best to you (though feel free to experiment)