5.1 / 7.1 speaker placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cpark, Oct 9, 2002.

1. cpark

cpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am moving to a new house and was wanting to use 'in wall' rear speakers.

Cost wise it is much cheaper and easier to use in ceiling speakers. I know this is not ideal soundwise but it seems a reasonble compramise.

Now I am not sure whether to stick with 5.1 or put 2 more rear speakers in for 7.1.

The layout of the room is attached below along with my idea for the rear speaker placement for 7.1. The room is 4.32 x 4.0 meters

Would there be a benefit adding the 2 rear centre speakers and going 7.1. ? :confused: or should I just stick with L/R side surrounds

Any suggestions whether 7.1 is wothwile in this room and/or alternative speaker placement suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Calum

Attached Files:

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at the room layout you may benefit more by using just one surround back and position it in the corner behind you. Your two surrounds are in close proximity to where you are sat and placing two more directly on top of you would be too much I think. The single speaker will be positioned further away from the listening position and IMO give you a better rear soundstage. This is roughly how my room lay out is, my surrounds aren't as close and I have the single speaker in the corner about 2m away and this works very well for me. :)

Edit:

You could delete your original thread as I have replied to this post with the attachment, otherwise it may confuse other members, it will also make it easier for you to view a single thread for your replies. ;)