5.1/6.1 Wireless System

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by SafeRat, Sep 17, 2007.

1. SafeRat

SafeRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi all.

First off I'd just like to say this is my first post :hiya:, so go easy on me. Now onto the topic...

I'm going to be buying the Sony KDL-40X3500 as soon as it's released (a matter of weeks I hope), and need a new surround system to go with it. Going wireless is my only option, and I would preferably want a range of inputs to connect various other things, such as a PlayStation 3 (optical), and eventually a seperate Blu-Ray player. I don't need a dvd upscaler with the package, but i'm not fussed about having an additional one anyway.

So far I've researched the following systems, and would like to know other user's thoughts on them, along with any other options I have:

Sony DAV-FX900W (5.1)
    Review:http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-in-a/sony-dav-fx900w/4505-6740_7-31789612.html

Sony DAV-DZ830W (5.1)
    No reviews - help needed!

Panasonic SC-PT850W (5.1) Review:http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/others/0,39037621,40709965p,00.htm

Philips HTS9800W (6.1) Review:http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/dvdpvr/0,39030416,49286679,00.htm

Philips HTS8100 (Sound bar) Review:http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-in-a/philips-soundbar-hts8100-dvd/4505-6740_7-32331277.html

LG LH-W750TA (5.1) Review:http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/index.php/pid;122;taxid;2136212609;pt;1

My budget is around £500 - £600, but I'm willing to go a little over if necessary.

I'm tempted to go for the Philips HTS 9800W, but I've heard that they've had some problems with it, and the point that I can't seem to find it anywhere on the Philips site worries me a little.

Thanks in advance for any replies, and as I said, I'd love to know of any other options I have.

2. ant_j

ant_j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I was looking at the philips 9800w too, my gf loves it as would match our tv perfectly. The thing that put me off on 1 digital input and not very good sound adjustment. I think its been removed from the site as its last years product, but if you put it in a search youll find it.
    Also what i do is d/l all the user guides to the systems i like and read thru to compare them that way.

I looked at the soundbar, but will it work?

Go for a sony to compliment the tv!

Ive stuck with my 5.1 i have anyway, was going to go for a 2.1 system but happy with the system i have now

3. SafeRat

SafeRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks Ant J

The soundbar's the most expensive, and certainly looks good asthetics wise, but I'm reluctant to go with it if I know I can get a proper 5.1 surround (for cheaper), without having to put wires around everywhere.

I would like another Sony system to match the TV, but I've read some bad reviews on the DAV-DZ830W, and I'm not even sure if the DAV-FX900W is available in the UK?

I suppose that brings me on to another question then: Does anyone know if the next model of the Philips HTS9800 is going to released anytime soon?

Thanks again to anyone who offers their opinions/help :thumbsup:

4. SafeRat

SafeRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Anyone else? Would really like to hear other user's suggestions...

5. john_37

john_37
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to see some meaningful input to this post from the forums more 'informed' contributors. The question has been put together well and covers a subject that I am also very interested in gaining advice on.

T3 love the (award winning) Philips HTS9800W but I also know other reviewers have been negative about the strength of the rear speakers and their ability to compete with the front set.

6. Rodg75

Rodg75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read a magazine review this month saying the soundbar wasn't very good - tinny voices etc

7. SafeRat

SafeRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  8. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    that review seems to be more about looks and inputs than actually putting it to the test.
    personally,i wouldnt touch it with a bargepole.
    virtual never works,anywhere near as good as the real thing.

9. SafeRat

SafeRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hmm, well yeah I know it isn't going to be as good as a proper 5.1 system, but it should still be reasonably good :confused:

Anyway, does anyone have any info/opinions on any of the others, especially the HTS9800? :lease:

10. SafeRat

SafeRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    :lease:

11. Sysyphus

Sysyphus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SafeRat,

My first post on these forums and unfortunately its not good news.

I have a Philips HTS9800W connected to a Philips 32PF7641D, it is a very nice *looking* kit, the size of speakers mean they do not dominate the room and their style is inoffensive. The system runs nicely at loud volumes without distortion, I have a few DVDs with DTS audio the HTS9800W sounds great but there are some niggles, looks aren't everything!

(1) The sub-woofer cabinet houses the power supply for the front left/right, front centre and the sub-woofer itself. The PSU in the sub-woofer has an 80mm fan which is quite noisy, if you have laminate flooring, then you might want to try and dampen the sub-woofer.

(2) The rear wireless speakers make a hissing noise, which is not welcome in the quieter moments of some films. The manual advises that there is a choice of four (1-4) wireless settings but there are only three! (CH 0, CH 1 and CH 2). For me all three have this hissing.

(3) The connection from the DVD unit is via a thick cable to a junction box, then another thick cable from the junction box to the sub-woofer, hiding these two thick cables, the junction box and the cables for the speakers may be a problem.

(4) Even if you connect the DVD unit to the TV via the HDMI connection, you still have to connect the DVD unit to the junction box, then onto the sub-woofer via the thick cables (see (3) above).

Some other comments have been that the rear speakers are too quiet, there is an option in the audio settings to change the loudness of each of the seven speakers, you can also change the timings of the seven speakers. After I adjusted the loudness of the speakers it was nicely balanced, but there is a constant hissing noise (see (2) above).

Other posts have advised that there is no hissing from the rear speakers and it comes down to the individual, i.e. my brother cannot hear the hissing, but I can! He can hear the sub-woofer and agrees it’s too loud.

I hope the above helps you (and for anybody else reading this), the only advise that I can give you or to anyone else is to audition each system you are looking at *before* you buy.

For another viewpoint, see: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378942&highlight=hts9800w

;)

12. SafeRat

SafeRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks a load for the reply :thumbsup:

Yeah I'll try and hear a demo before I make any decisions on it, but you didn't seem to pleased with it.

Overall then, what marks out of 10 would you give it? Only asking because I'm really stuck as to what sound system to get, and I've heard both positive and negative reviews on, well, pretty much all of the systems :(. You didn't seem too happy with it though?

Thanks again,

SafeRat

13. Sysyphus

Sysyphus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SafeRat,

For style/looks: 11/10, for ease of installation: 9/10, the cabling between the DVD Unit/Junction box/Sub-woofer, could/should be a lot better, ease of use: 9/10, can take a few seconds for DVDs to be recognised or ejected (probably me being impatient). Actual use: 7/10, the noise of the PSU in the sub-woofer and the hiss from the rear speakers is off putting during the quiet moments of a film.

In a word: yes, I am disappointed with the system and its due to the last point above, I can hide the thick cables and can live with the slow eject of DVDs, but when it comes down to watching and *listening* to a DVD on a rainy Sunday afternoon, the noise from the PSU in the sub-woofer and the hiss from the rear speakers spoils it. However put on a war film, e.g. Saving Private Ryan, and the neighbours half-way down the street will think they're being invaded!

;)

14. SafeRat

SafeRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Lol, cheers for that. :)

However much I love the look of this system, I don't think I'll be buying it now.

Well, now I'm back to square one :rolleyes: (minus this system). Any suggestions as to which system I should put my money on? I've narrowed it down to these choices now:

Sony DAV-DZ830W - It's had some negative reviews/comments, but I'm not dismissing it entirely yet (mainly because I have no clue as to what I'm getting yet). + It'll look nice next my new Bravia TV coming soon :D

Panasonic SC-PT850W - Would like this set as it's had good reviews, but I can't find it anywhere to buy in the UK. Anyone know when/if it's going to finally get a release over here? (The SC-PT850EBK wired version is available, but not the wireless one :()

Philips HTS8100 (Sound bar) - I know it's not going to sound as good as a proper 5.1 system, but i do like the look of it, and it being a 1080p upscaler still makes it a tempting choice.

Or I could just wait a while (max waiting time till early December), for any new wireless systems.

So, what suggestions do people have as to what I should do?

15. keith_w

keith_w
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :hiya: New here too but felt I had to post following the points raised about the HTS 9800 system. I've had mine for a few months now and am very happy with it. Yes the wires are bulky but nothing that couldn't be sorted with some trunking. For me, the sound is outstanding and coupled with my 46" panel has totally transformed everything I watch.

I didn't find the rear speakers too quiet because you shouldn't be able to hear normal sound out of them; when something does make a noise in the background however, the sound is just right. As for the hissing mentioned by Sysyphus, I think you should take the system back or have it checked out because mine don't make a sound until they're meant to.

In summary, I think the HTS9800 is totally worth it; buying mine from Richer Sounds, I could have returned it if it didn't live up to my expectations but there is no way I would do that. Keep in mind that this system has been tested by many critics in both magazines and on line, and it was an award winner in more than one of them. I can see why.

Cheers

Keith

16. SafeRat

SafeRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Lol, so now things get interesting again. Cheers Keith :smashin:

Actually, now I think about it, I do remember reading somewhere that Philips done some kind of modifications to the HTS9800 to fix some of the problems like the hissing. Think I read that the fixed model was 'unofficially' released around August?

When did you two guys who've got the system buy yours? Anyone have any info on this?

17. keith_w

keith_w
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bought mine in August and I know it was a very recent version as it was ordered in from the factory.

Forgot to mention also that my subwoofer/amp is totally silent as well. If you do get one of these be prepared to get big car to get it home because the box is MASSIVE! (it fitted in the back of a hatchback with the seats down)

Cheers

Keith

18. SafeRat

SafeRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks again Keith.

Hopefully the buzzing problems have been sorted then :D

Looks like I'll be going for this model sometime soon then, as the TV's on order :clap: Thanks a lot everyone!

19. SafeRat

SafeRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Oh, just a couple of quick questions though:

1: I've looked on the Philips site, and some other online retailers quote either one of the following in the description: HTS9800/05 or the HTS9800/12 - What's the difference :confused:

2: Just to double check, does anyone have any info on if an upgraded version of the 9800 is coming anytime soon, as it's been out for over a year now.

20. SafeRat

SafeRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm assuming the /05 and /12 just refer to either the silver or black versions, not sure though. Anyone know?

:lease:

21. SafeRat

SafeRat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hey people.

I finally decided to go with the :eek: Sony dav-dz830 :eek: in the end. Was cheaper than the Philips, and thought it would go nicely with the bravia too, + after thinking about it, I really don't have room for a 6.1 system.

Have just set it all up, but am not trying it out till i get the tv, which will hopefully be by the end of this week :)

Thanks for all you're help,

SafeRat

22. tomasz kozien

tomasz kozien
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the /05 and the rest of the versions of the hts9800 only differ in the regions they are being sent to and each vrsion has the appropriat manuals in the correct languages there is a version for europe and one for asia but they only differ with the languages of the manuals and the power plugs