5.1/5.1.2 setup advice for c£1500 - Concept 20s, 3060s, DX-2s, x2700h

SFlin

New 5.1/5.1.2 setup for c£1500 - advice please
I am planning on building a 5.1/5.1.2 system and would greatly appreciate advice please. I am new to all of this!
There is a similar thread here (which also matches my room spec fairly well) but I am looking to spend c£1500 including an AV receiver so have a smaller budget. Need advices to choos best speakers for a 5.1.0 setup (future 5.1.2)

Usage will be roughly a 40/40/20 split between movies, games, music.

The room is an open plan kitchen and living area roughly 6mx4m. Living area is roughly half of that, 3mx4m. TV has an earc connection.

I would like to spend £1000-£1500. I’d appreciate advice on planned speaker choices:

Front L/R – Q Acoustics Concept 20 – these seem like the best value speakers at this price point c£220. (Also looked at QA 3030i which seemed inferior and larger in size, along with others at similar price).

Centre – QA Concept 20 c£200 – based on the fact that it matches with the fronts. I assume the centre needs to be pretty decent and the concept 20 seems a significant step up from the 3090ci centre.

Sub – QA 3060s c£250 - I think this would suffice for the size of my room but open to Gemini 2 or QBL if would make useful difference in my set up and pair just as well.

Rears – Wharfdale DX-2’s, c£100 – might not purchase rears immediately. DX-2 seemed like a good option for my needs. 3030is are a little larger than I would like for the rears and probably overkill I am thinking.

Atmos –Wharfdale d300s c£140. I won’t get any atmos speakers initially so not so concerned about advice on this yet.

Some questions
  • Is there any reason why these speakers would not work well together in 5.1?
  • Fronts - Are there any obviously better fronts for similar price?
  • Centre – is the Concept 20 good value for £200? Presumably it makes some sense to match the centre with the fronts.
  • Sub – I think 3060s is sufficient for the size of my room and given I live in a block of flats! Would the QB12/Gemini 2 make a useful difference for my size room and be worth the extra space and money?
  • Rears – I want something fairly small but decent ish quality. Would DX-2s be a good choice and work well with the set up?
Av /Receiver

Denon x1700h or 2700h c £600-£650 – these seem like almost the only viable options for my budget and needs. I am leaning towards the 2700h for the extra power. My tv has Earc so I don’t necessarily need the 2 extra 2.1 HDMI ports on the x1700h. I would like Atmos/DTS.
  • Are there any cheaper options for AV receiver that would serve my needs just as well?
  • Are there better alternatives to the x2700h? (the Yamahas HDMI issues concern me but I’m not sure if they should given I have EARC on TV. Tge x2700h seems a better option anyway).
  • Will prices come down soon??? Should I wait?
Sorry if this is too many questions, any advice much appreciated!
Thank you

josefK666

Personally, if it were me I would view this as a long term project and invest more now in fewer, better quality speakers. Some options I've heard personally would be the Dali Oberon range, Monitor Audio Bronze and KEF Q series as standmounts. Floorstanders are more pricey obviously but will give you improved bass at the very least. I always had a soft spot for the Dali Oberon 5 floorstanders - terrific sound for such a small footprint - but others here will give you more options I'm sure.

A decent subwoofer(s) really is important and is easily overlooked. Like you I have to be careful with neighbours but it's isn't necessary to shake the walls in order to get good bass. As is often said if you're doing it right you shouldn't even notice the subwoofer is there. It's in integral part of the soundstage and I know it makes my otherwise great KEF R3's seem a bit flat without it.

So that's my two cents. Get the x2700H and the best L/R you can afford. Set up a decent stereo soundstage (the L/R should give you a phantom centre to handle dialogue for most sources for the time being) and then decide whether you need a subwoofer or a centre speaker first. Once you have that you have your music set up sorted and 80%+ of your HT/gaming sorted plus you have something to look forward to in getting decent surrounds/atmos!

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

SFlin

Personally, if it were me I would view this as a long term project and invest more now in fewer, better quality speakers. Some options I've heard personally would be the Dali Oberon range, Monitor Audio Bronze and KEF Q series as standmounts. Floorstanders are more pricey obviously but will give you improved bass at the very least. I always had a soft spot for the Dali Oberon 5 floorstanders - terrific sound for such a small footprint - but others here will give you more options I'm sure.

A decent subwoofer(s) really is important and is easily overlooked. Like you I have to be careful with neighbours but it's isn't necessary to shake the walls in order to get good bass. As is often said if you're doing it right you shouldn't even notice the subwoofer is there. It's in integral part of the soundstage and I know it makes my otherwise great KEF R3's seem a bit flat without it.

So that's my two cents. Get the x2700H and the best L/R you can afford. Set up a decent stereo soundstage (the L/R should give you a phantom centre to handle dialogue for most sources for the time being) and then decide whether you need a subwoofer or a centre speaker first. Once you have that you have your music set up sorted and 80%+ of your HT/gaming sorted plus you have something to look forward to in getting decent surrounds/atmos!

Best of luck with whatever you choose!
Thank you very much for your reply. Interesting, I quite liked the idea of floorstanders and I'm open to the staggered approach ]and think I would prioritise a centre before a sub. But I wonder if the staggered approach would end up costing more in the longer run than getting a package.

I sort of ruled out floorstanders as thought they might be a bit overkill for my room and I wouldn't benefit from the additional power but am I wrong? The Dali Oberon 5's look great and have good reviews in eg whathifi. And the small footprint definitely appeals.

I have seen a deal for £1999: avr-x2700h; Dali oberon 5s; Oberon Vokal; Oberon onwalls; E9F sub.
This seems like a very good deal given the price of each individual component, would you agree? This would be my absolute max expenditure for initial outlay; at least I wouldn't need to worry about buying any stands though.

Are onwalls a good idea for rear speakers, given you can't angle them? I do very much like the look of them!

josefK666

Glad to see my cautious softly softly approach is paying dividends - I wouldn't want you spending 30-50% more than your original budget or anything :)

Being serious - I'd urge a little caution - it's easy for things to start to run away from you and you suddenly find yourself spending three time as much as you originally planned. You're the best judge of what to do with your own money but deals like the one you found are always there for these popular ranges - no need to rush into anything.

The staggered approach will cost more but it's more manageable financially and you'll be able to build up your complete system as and when you see fit - perhaps when you have more money to spend on individual quality components.

It's generally accepted that your LCR should ideally be from the same range and manufacturer to ensure you have a balanced sound from your key speakers. You can be more flexible with subs, surrounds and atmos speakers so again, don't feel that you need to rush to get a package deal. Typically with such deals, whatever the make, the subs on offer always seem to be the weak link so that's something to be aware of.

I don't think floorstanders are overkill (remember you need to take into account the whole space the speakers are in - not just the bit that you'll be listening in). But you may well find that - for example - a pair of Monitor Audio Silver standmounts suit you and your room better.

Ultimately I'd advise the following:-

1) Wait to hear some other opinions here hopefully - there are lots of experienced people who may give you other options to consider.
2) Arrange a demo at a nearby store. It's not a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Listen to different speakers with varied content and find a sound that suits you. If there are none nearby then some stores will be amendable to home demos or to let you buy some speakers with a view to swapping them out for others if you don't like them.

I'd start with that, then come back with any questions you might have about surrounds/atmos.

SFlin

Glad to see my cautious softly softly approach is paying dividends - I wouldn't want you spending 30-50% more than your original budget or anything :)

Being serious - I'd urge a little caution - it's easy for things to start to run away from you and you suddenly find yourself spending three time as much as you originally planned. You're the best judge of what to do with your own money but deals like the one you found are always there for these popular ranges - no need to rush into anything.

The staggered approach will cost more but it's more manageable financially and you'll be able to build up your complete system as and when you see fit - perhaps when you have more money to spend on individual quality components.

It's generally accepted that your LCR should ideally be from the same range and manufacturer to ensure you have a balanced sound from your key speakers. You can be more flexible with subs, surrounds and atmos speakers so again, don't feel that you need to rush to get a package deal. Typically with such deals, whatever the make, the subs on offer always seem to be the weak link so that's something to be aware of.

I don't think floorstanders are overkill (remember you need to take into account the whole space the speakers are in - not just the bit that you'll be listening in). But you may well find that - for example - a pair of Monitor Audio Silver standmounts suit you and your room better.

Ultimately I'd advise the following:-

1) Wait to hear some other opinions here hopefully - there are lots of experienced people who may give you other options to consider.
2) Arrange a demo at a nearby store. It's not a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Listen to different speakers with varied content and find a sound that suits you. If there are none nearby then some stores will be amendable to home demos or to let you buy some speakers with a view to swapping them out for others if you don't like them.

I'd start with that, then come back with any questions you might have about surrounds/atmos.
That's really helpful, thanks for your sage advice! I won't jump into anything for a few weeks at least until more research and advice.
I am quite taken with the idea of the Oberon 5s! They could be a starting point. I assume an av/receiver and quality fronts on their own would sound better than a good but old Samsung soundbar.

Grateful for any further advice anyone can offer on setting up 5.1 from scratch. Particularly any recommendations for the fronts and centre.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I am quite taken with the idea of the Oberon 5s! They could be a starting point. I assume an av/receiver and quality fronts on their own would sound better than a good but old Samsung soundbar.

Grateful for any further advice anyone can offer on setting up 5.1 from scratch. Particularly any recommendations for the fronts and centre.

Can you book demo time for local Richer Sounds / Seven Oaks / Audio T / Hifix etc. ? I believe most of those shops have the usual candidates in stock.

The Oberon 5 bundle is fine option, but the subwoofer is poor. However you could buy the system without subwoofer and rears as you said you aren´t in hurry to get em. I would consider SVS SB1000 Pro if you start with 3.1 . I assume you meant this 2k£ bundle:

Another great option would be MA Bronze 200 which is similar sized to Oberon 5s and possibly slightly better unless you specifically like the Dalis brighter tone. They are also 400£ cheaper. You could swap the rears for MA Radius 90 (198x125x140mm) or look them later (3.1). The subwoofer needs to be swapped and if you want to buy it from same shop then the SVS!

monitor-audio-200-1.jpg

Now after doing some calculations i find even better option if you can stretch it to 2k£!! This would mean black gloss, real wood veneer oak and walnut finishes as the availability is limited for this 6G which is soon sold out! You are getting 1000£ towers for 650£, can´t beat these prices.

----------------------------------------
Total 1549£ (you could still ask can they give any discount, if the answer is no then ask at least free QED 79 strand speaker wire to make the deal sweeter, measure how much you need)

For the MA Silver system you would have 450£ for subwoofer before reaching to 2k£ limit, however you would then need to save for "rears".

Looking some cheaper options for subwoofer there is few from BK Electronics at their 2nd ebay site where they have new grade-b products. Always in mint shape and comes with normal warranty. P12-PR would be ideal for such low price, but there is also Double Gem if taller but narrow (28,3cm) sub is ok. Finally there is the legendary XXLS400 which has been one of the most popular subwoofer choices below 500£ mark for long time, especially when usage being ~50/50% movie/music. The P12-PR is slightly better for movies in mind. After owning BK Gemini II i would recommend to aim higher as it´s bit too polite and for 6x4 room after spending nearly 2k£ you want something better.

SFlin

Can you book demo time for local Richer Sounds / Seven Oaks / Audio T / Hifix etc. ? I believe most of those shops have the usual candidates in stock.

The Oberon 5 bundle is fine option, but the subwoofer is poor. However you could buy the system without subwoofer and rears as you said you aren´t in hurry to get em. I would consider SVS SB1000 Pro if you start with 3.1 . I assume you meant this 2k£ bundle:

Another great option would be MA Bronze 200 which is similar sized to Oberon 5s and possibly slightly better unless you specifically like the Dalis brighter tone. They are also 400£ cheaper. You could swap the rears for MA Radius 90 (198x125x140mm) or look them later (3.1). The subwoofer needs to be swapped and if you want to buy it from same shop then the SVS!

monitor-audio-200-1.jpg

Now after doing some calculations i find even better option if you can stretch it to 2k£!! This would mean black gloss, real wood veneer oak and walnut finishes as the availability is limited for this 6G which is soon sold out! You are getting 1000£ towers for 650£, can´t beat these prices.

----------------------------------------
Total 1549£ (you could still ask can they give any discount, if the answer is no then ask at least free QED 79 strand speaker wire to make the deal sweeter, measure how much you need)

For the MA Silver system you would have 450£ for subwoofer before reaching to 2k£ limit, however you would then need to save for "rears".

Looking some cheaper options for subwoofer there is few from BK Electronics at their 2nd ebay site where they have new grade-b products. Always in mint shape and comes with normal warranty. P12-PR would be ideal for such low price, but there is also Double Gem if taller but narrow (28,3cm) sub is ok. Finally there is the legendary XXLS400 which has been one of the most popular subwoofer choices below 500£ mark for long time, especially when usage being ~50/50% movie/music. The P12-PR is slightly better for movies in mind. After owning BK Gemini II i would recommend to aim higher as it´s bit too polite and for 6x4 room after spending nearly 2k£ you want something better.

Great, thank you so much for your detailed reply, lots of useful info.
Yes, I can book time at Richer Sounds for a testing and will do before buying the fronts. I also want to get a sense of how they look as although not as important as the sound, it is a consideration.

Monitor 200s - From reviews and aesthetics, I'm quite keen on Monitor products - not sure about those feet though, I'm guessing they aren't taken into account in the dimensions given? The Silver 200s do seem like a good deal. Is the whole 6G range about to be discontinued?

I am starting to worry a little about space (having to have speakers positioned away from walls etc) and so wondered if the slimmer Radius 270s were a good option?
From what I can tell you would pay a premium for the smaller footprint on the 270s and get a poorer sound than the Bronze/Silver 200s.
What would you recommend if footprint was one of the main considerations? (not saying the Bronze/Silver 200s are too big necessarily).

Subs - that's really useful info thanks, BK on ebay sounds like the place to go for quality at decent price. Useful to know about the Double Gem given my soncerns over space but the other 2 you mention are more appealing overall.

Rears - given space options, I'd be quite keen to get rears with quite a slim profile. Are on-walls a decent option? Even if I don't get on-walls, the rears would have to be pretty close to the wall behind the sofa and not very far to the side.

Thanks so much again for your reply, I will think on further. Grateful for any further advice also.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Great, thank you so much for your detailed reply, lots of useful info.
Yes, I can book time at Richer Sounds for a testing and will do before buying the fronts. I also want to get a sense of how they look as although not as important as the sound, it is a consideration.

Monitor 200s - From reviews and aesthetics, I'm quite keen on Monitor products - not sure about those feet though, I'm guessing they aren't taken into account in the dimensions given? The Silver 200s do seem like a good deal. Is the whole 6G range about to be discontinued?

I am starting to worry a little about space (having to have speakers positioned away from walls etc) and so wondered if the slimmer Radius 270s were a good option?
From what I can tell you would pay a premium for the smaller footprint on the 270s and get a poorer sound than the Bronze/Silver 200s.
What would you recommend if footprint was one of the main considerations? (not saying the Bronze/Silver 200s are too big necessarily).

Subs - that's really useful info thanks, BK on ebay sounds like the place to go for quality at decent price. Useful to know about the Double Gem given my soncerns over space but the other 2 you mention are more appealing overall.

Rears - given space options, I'd be quite keen to get rears with quite a slim profile. Are on-walls a decent option? Even if I don't get on-walls, the rears would have to be pretty close to the wall behind the sofa and not very far to the side.

Thanks so much again for your reply, I will think on further. Grateful for any further advice also.

Click specification here to see the dimensions with feets.

For sure the Silver 6G would be way to go if size is ok, aesthetics wise they are winner (Silver has real wood veneer/gloss - Bronze/Oberon has vinyl wrap), they are really compact/small when you see them live and doesn`t need ton of space around them. I would still push them about ~20cm forward and half meter or so from side walls if possible, but this applies to most speakers. If you go to hifi shop you can have a look of Silver 200 (7G) which should be found on many shops. The 7G 200 is slightly wider/deeper than 6G 200 model. 6G being discontinued and now is the perfect time to buy em cause you get higher range for almost same price as Bronzes, so bang for buck is great! The last time i heard the Silver floorstanders they were clear step up of Bronze and Dali Zensor (=Oberon) towers so i wouldn`t be suprised if you find them to be superior. Naturally you can´t listen the 6G version, but the 7G won´t sound that different so
Radius range isn´t necessarily poorer especially if you like the slightly different tone as they are voiced like lifestyle speakers where as Bronze/Silvers are more of traditional hifi speakers so expect the Radius have pronounces highs. I would consider these only if you feel the other two ranges are too large cause you are paying extra for 9 year old lifestyle speakers and the biggest obstacle for me would be the small center channel for movie duties cause center channel covers like ~70% of movies soundtrack so most active speaker in your system and the Radius 200 is so darn small with tiny 4" drivers. Of course you have option to buy Silver C150 with the Radius 270, while not perfect match it should work ok, but as i said do this only if you can´t fit Silver 200s. For Silver range check Peter Tyson ebay site if you can buy through them cause i have heard some further discounts.

See attached picture of members BK Double Gem in room. You want to think about the placement carefully too. Front corner, 1/4 front wall width often works great. There is some better performing subs like Monoprice 10 THX, but the cabinet is fairly deep (50cm) and not sure can you fit one. The price is darn low and what it offers with 5year warranty can´t be matched so for blockbuster movies in mind this would be the way to go if size/finish isn´t issue.

There is also coming new model for UK site soon which performs similar, but has rounded cabinet and the driver doesn`t come out as much, although you likely using grille.

For 5.1 system ideally you would place the surround channels to side walls each side of listeners, but if that is not possible and you have to put them directly behind listeners which would be like surround backs then consider the FX speakers from Monitor Audio. Either Bronze or Silver. Only reason to go with the former would be white + white/grey grille combo. Silver FX white comes with black grilles, there is also walnut veneer available. 299£/pair, normally 499£! Sadly you would have to pull the tricker soon as you can´t be sure that they are available few month later. Both installed flush against wall and are easy to mount due to two keyholes for screws. Both have bipole/dipole switch behind so they fire both direction and create more diffused soundfield. One thing you need to consider is leaving one feet or so from the side walls so don´t mount them too close to corners, but i wouldn´t want them too close together either.

Attachments

• bkdoublegem.jpg
    bkdoublegem.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 11

SFlin

Click specification here to see the dimensions with feets.

For sure the Silver 6G would be way to go if size is ok, aesthetics wise they are winner (Silver has real wood veneer/gloss - Bronze/Oberon has vinyl wrap), they are really compact/small when you see them live and doesn`t need ton of space around them. I would still push them about ~20cm forward and half meter or so from side walls if possible, but this applies to most speakers. If you go to hifi shop you can have a look of Silver 200 (7G) which should be found on many shops. The 7G 200 is slightly wider/deeper than 6G 200 model. 6G being discontinued and now is the perfect time to buy em cause you get higher range for almost same price as Bronzes, so bang for buck is great! The last time i heard the Silver floorstanders they were clear step up of Bronze and Dali Zensor (=Oberon) towers so i wouldn`t be suprised if you find them to be superior. Naturally you can´t listen the 6G version, but the 7G won´t sound that different so
Radius range isn´t necessarily poorer especially if you like the slightly different tone as they are voiced like lifestyle speakers where as Bronze/Silvers are more of traditional hifi speakers so expect the Radius have pronounces highs. I would consider these only if you feel the other two ranges are too large cause you are paying extra for 9 year old lifestyle speakers and the biggest obstacle for me would be the small center channel for movie duties cause center channel covers like ~70% of movies soundtrack so most active speaker in your system and the Radius 200 is so darn small with tiny 4" drivers. Of course you have option to buy Silver C150 with the Radius 270, while not perfect match it should work ok, but as i said do this only if you can´t fit Silver 200s. For Silver range check Peter Tyson ebay site if you can buy through them cause i have heard some further discounts.

See attached picture of members BK Double Gem in room. You want to think about the placement carefully too. Front corner, 1/4 front wall width often works great. There is some better performing subs like Monoprice 10 THX, but the cabinet is fairly deep (50cm) and not sure can you fit one. The price is darn low and what it offers with 5year warranty can´t be matched so for blockbuster movies in mind this would be the way to go if size/finish isn´t issue.

There is also coming new model for UK site soon which performs similar, but has rounded cabinet and the driver doesn`t come out as much, although you likely using grille.

For 5.1 system ideally you would place the surround channels to side walls each side of listeners, but if that is not possible and you have to put them directly behind listeners which would be like surround backs then consider the FX speakers from Monitor Audio. Either Bronze or Silver. Only reason to go with the former would be white + white/grey grille combo. Silver FX white comes with black grilles, there is also walnut veneer available. 299£/pair, normally 499£! Sadly you would have to pull the tricker soon as you can´t be sure that they are available few month later. Both installed flush against wall and are easy to mount due to two keyholes for screws. Both have bipole/dipole switch behind so they fire both direction and create more diffused soundfield. One thing you need to consider is leaving one feet or so from the side walls so don´t mount them too close to corners, but i wouldn´t want them too close together either.

Great, thanks again. I am tempted to push button the SIlver 200s as they are running out of stock, and very few left in stock anywhere in my preferred colour. Unfortunarely the centre in the colour I want is £125 more than in black and I don;t think I would pay that just to match colour of centre and fronts. Black would work for the centre anyway. But also nervy to buy, not sure if I will wait or go for it to be honest!

Thanks for info on Radius range, from what you have said I don't think I owuld get them.

I've enquired as to whether a retailer can give me a discount on receiver if I buy fronts, centre and rears.
Out of interest - presumably there are plenty of other suitable options for rears if I miss out on the fx speakers? Does it matter at all to match the brands/ranges of the rears and fronts?

And then I would probably get the Double Gem. I'd consider a larger sub if the space I am using could accomodate it better. I quite like the pic you shared of it.

But I might miss out this time around and be back to square one in hunt for fronts and centre!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Great, thanks again. I am tempted to push button the SIlver 200s as they are running out of stock, and very few left in stock anywhere in my preferred colour. Unfortunarely the centre in the colour I want is £125 more than in black and I don;t think I would pay that just to match colour of centre and fronts. Black would work for the centre anyway. But also nervy to buy, not sure if I will wait or go for it to be honest!

Thanks for info on Radius range, from what you have said I don't think I owuld get them.

I've enquired as to whether a retailer can give me a discount on receiver if I buy fronts, centre and rears.
Out of interest - presumably there are plenty of other suitable options for rears if I miss out on the fx speakers? Does it matter at all to match the brands/ranges of the rears and fronts?

And then I would probably get the Double Gem. I'd consider a larger sub if the space I am using could accomodate it better. I quite like the pic you shared of it.

But I might miss out this time around and be back to square one in hunt for fronts and centre!

What do you mean 125£ more? All the Silver C150 finishes cost 249£ which is big discount as they normally went for 375-425£!

Forum advertiser has the rosenut wood veneer finish for 229£ and natural oak for 249£!

Did you contact Peter Tyson can they come forward with receiver price if you buy the speakers too? The issue may be cause the prices of Silvers are dirt low so they surely can´t do big discounts.

I think you will find the Silver/Bronze FXs used so it isn´t issue really. The bipole design would be ideal if the speakers are behind you and close by.

Double Gem is fairly narrow but tall and deepish. But yeah it looks great and has decent cab volume, 2x 10" drivers with 300w amp. The feedback has been good from owners. No disappointments as of yet. I think i listed the Double Gem for @markb1980 as option when he was looking new sub and he bought it in the end, maybe he can say few words?! :)

20200123_170142-jpg.1291432

20200706_140642_hdr-jpg.1329962

b3c01a8d-72db-4660-8cb0-f62036812a1c-jpeg.1672292

Last edited:

SFlin

What do you mean 125£ more? All the Silver C150 finishes cost 249£ which is big discount as they normally went for 375-425£!

Forum advertiser has the rosenut wood veneer finish for 229£ and natural oak for 249£!

Did you contact Peter Tyson can they come forward with receiver price if you buy the speakers too? The issue may be cause the prices of Silvers are dirt low so they surely can´t do big discounts.

I think you will find the Silver/Bronze FXs used so it isn´t issue really. The bipole design would be ideal if the speakers are behind you and close by.

Double Gem is fairly narrow but tall and deepish. But yeah it looks great and has decent cab volume, 2x 10" drivers with 300w amp. The feedback has been good from owners. No disappointments as of yet. I think i listed the Double Gem for @markb1980 as option when he was looking new sub and he bought it in the end, maybe he can say few words?! :)

20200123_170142-jpg.1291432

20200706_140642_hdr-jpg.1329962

b3c01a8d-72db-4660-8cb0-f62036812a1c-jpeg.1672292
I want white fronts (I think) so was looking for white c150. Some places have them in stock but all for £375. All other colours appear to be £250, though some are selling rosenut finish for a little less. But I would be just as happy with white fronts and black centre as with all white.

I contacted PT - I think you are probably right that they will be reluctant to offer further savings but thought worth a try, see what they say.

I was thinking of other ways to make saving on receiver. RS has some discounted refurbed x1700hs with some decent savings but no x2700h. I wonder if I wait until a returned/refurbed x2700h is available but guessing i could end up waiting a while for just a small saving.

Re the rears - I read something about dipole/bipole not being good if you plan to add atmos at some point - do you have any knowledge on this?
Also - if sofa is roughly half a foot from rear wall, are the fx rears a bit overkill - will they be blaring in my ears?

Thanks for the additional photos - sub looks good, though a little deeper than I first thought. But I think it will fit space I have well. The speakers in 3rd set up look very neat for a small area, wondering if I should be thinking about something like that for fronts but guessing you'd have to pay quite a bit to get something like that which has as good quality as standmounts or floorstanders.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I want white fronts (I think) so was looking for white c150. Some places have them in stock but all for £375. All other colours appear to be £250, though some are selling rosenut finish for a little less. But I would be just as happy with white fronts and black centre as with all white.

I contacted PT - I think you are probably right that they will be reluctant to offer further savings but thought worth a try, see what they say.

I was thinking of other ways to make saving on receiver. RS has some discounted refurbed x1700hs with some decent savings but no x2700h. I wonder if I wait until a returned/refurbed x2700h is available but guessing i could end up waiting a while for just a small saving.

Re the rears - I read something about dipole/bipole not being good if you plan to add atmos at some point - do you have any knowledge on this?
Also - if sofa is roughly half a foot from rear wall, are the fx rears a bit overkill - will they be blaring in my ears?

Thanks for the additional photos - sub looks good, though a little deeper than I first thought. But I think it will fit space I have well. The speakers in 3rd set up look very neat for a small area, wondering if I should be thinking about something like that for fronts but guessing you'd have to pay quite a bit to get something like that which has as good quality as standmounts or floorstanders.

Some companies keep products on site even if they are not in stock, only to offer the new model when someone asks. Send them email about the white C150 and also send the PT C150 link, ask first is the white in stock and can they price match it to PTs price. Most dealers will do that if in stock!

Hope PT gives little bit of discount. I wouldn´t buy the X1700H. Stick with X2700H if possible.

Bipole mode is perfectly fine with atmos. The FXs are ideal if you have speakers so close to listeners. Imagine having direct radiating speakers 15cm away from ears. Horrible! The FX speakers does not shoot toward your ears (front), check the pictures how the tweeters are placed. Ideally you would mount them 1-2feet higher from seated ear height (5.1), for atmos the recommendation is lower.

The third picture has Monitor Audio Apex A40 (x3) on wall. They cost 500£/each. About 100mm depth. Technology from old Silver range. You will naturally pay more with that route. The S200s are very compact, see here:

SFlin

Some companies keep products on site even if they are not in stock, only to offer the new model when someone asks. Send them email about the white C150 and also send the PT C150 link, ask first is the white in stock and can they price match it to PTs price. Most dealers will do that if in stock!

Hope PT gives little bit of discount. I wouldn´t buy the X1700H. Stick with X2700H if possible.

Bipole mode is perfectly fine with atmos. The FXs are ideal if you have speakers so close to listeners. Imagine having direct radiating speakers 15cm away from ears. Horrible! The FX speakers does not shoot toward your ears (front), check the pictures how the tweeters are placed. Ideally you would mount them 1-2feet higher from seated ear height (5.1), for atmos the recommendation is lower.

The third picture has Monitor Audio Apex A40 (x3) on wall. They cost 500£/each. About 100mm depth. Technology from old Silver range. You will naturally pay more with that route. The S200s are very compact, see here:

Thanks - Ive emailed the places I can find who say they have c150 in white in stock to ask if they can price match £250 (I'm thinking unlikely as looks like some of the shops have just increased price of other colours to £375. I'm guessing this might mean they have sold out as you outlined).
I'm tempted to just get the s200s now in white before they become unavailable and then see if possible to get white c150 at £250 and if not then get it in black. But I will then lose any ability to get a discount for buying sevral items at once, if that is even a possibility.

SFlin

Looking at subs - please can anyone advise on svs 1000 (not the Pro version) - is it good value for £519 (in white)?
The Pro version is c£639 (black ash) or £739 (white) which is more than I would like to pay.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Looking at subs - please can anyone advise on svs 1000 (not the Pro version) - is it good value for £519 (in white)?
The Pro version is c£639 (black ash) or £739 (white) which is more than I would like to pay.

You would get ~ -10% from the Pro model so it would cost about 665£. If still too much then no problem the "old" model is still good pick at 519£ if you look competitors. BK XXLS400 in white would cost 465£, but has older technology and shorter warranty. Also larger cab and some members have commented the SB1000 being slightly better for movies still.

SFlin

You would get ~ -10% from the Pro model so it would cost about 665£. If still too much then no problem the "old" model is still good pick at 519£ if you look competitors. BK XXLS400 in white would cost 465£, but has older technology and shorter warranty. Also larger cab and some members have commented the SB1000 being slightly better for movies still.

Great thanks. How do the silver w12 and the svs 1000 pro compare? Which is 'better'?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Great thanks. How do the silver w12 and the svs 1000 pro compare? Which is 'better'?
I would still lean toward SVS cause i have seen so many amp failures with Silver subs here at AVF, that goes often for these speaker manufacturer subs which are more hifi subs where they often excell and they only give you 2year amp warranty. It can get expensive later. While SVS gives you longer warranty (5years) and better support/service (email/daily chat) it`s also speciliazed building woofers since 1998 and now being one of the most known manufacturer around the world as they available with dealers. @sm1ggsy just sold larger room shaker sub and bought the SB1000 Pro, it`s early days still but he seems to be quite impressed what the small devil can do. :)

SFlin

I would still lean toward SVS cause i have seen so many amp failures with Silver subs here at AVF, that goes often for these speaker manufacturer subs which are more hifi subs where they often excell and they only give you 2year amp warranty. It can get expensive later. While SVS gives you longer warranty (5years) and better support/service (email/daily chat) it`s also speciliazed building woofers since 1998 and now being one of the most known manufacturer around the world as they available with dealers. @sm1ggsy just sold larger room shaker sub and bought the SB1000 Pro, it`s early days still but he seems to be quite impressed what the small devil can do. :)
Very helpful, thank you!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom