5.1.4 speaker setup - would you recommend option A or B receiver?

Arjay12345

Standard Member
Hi folks. I have pulled cables in a dedicated home cinema room for a 5.1.4 speaker setup. I've been on the lookout for an Atmos receiver that has specific front and rear presence speakers (i.e. Denon AVR-X4500H) but I fear everything is out of budget (even second hand units seem to be close to 4 figures). If I did find one in budget, I would connect the speakers in a 5.1.4 formation, and would not use the Surround Back outputs. If I cannot find, then I have 2 options....

Option 1: I can get a (second hand) 9.2 Atmos receiver within my budget (i.e. Pioneer VSX-LX503). If I connect my rear height speakers to the Surround Back speakers outputs instead, will I miss much? Are the Surround Back's higher in the pecking order to the Rear Height's anyway?

Option 2: I can get a non-Atmos receiver (i.e. Yamaha RX-A3010) which looks to have 2 x front, 2 x rear presence outputs. Again, I would not use the Surround Back outputs. But am I losing lots by it not being an Atmos?

The above example receivers are only examples, and haven't chosen them specifically. Any suggestions welcome. And my room is pretty square - 5m x 4.2m x 2.4m. I will be screening a projector onto the 5m wall (Epson TW7100?). Sofa is fairly back with only 12 inches gap to back wall but could move slightly forward if advised. And I'm no audiophile and I have a limited budget so unfortuately cannot consider ultra-finessed options.

Thanks!

dante01

Distinguished Member
If not using an Atmos enabled AVR or if using one without having the associated height, ceiling or upward firing speakers in your setup then you are losing the ability to portray Atmos.

What you'd lose it the ability to portray Atmos. Most would prioritise the portrayal of Atmos. The ideal would be to have both nack suttounds and height or ceiling speakers as opposed to having one or the other.

If buying a 9 channel AVR then there's no reason why you cannot have both a 7.1 head height layopuut plus the 2 additional height, ceiling or upward firing speakers required for Atmos.

If you've a room that will accomodate back surrounds then I'd suggest you go with a 7.1.2 setup as opposed to a 5.1.4 setup.

Post EDITED to correct typo.

Last edited:

Dobbyisfree

Arjay12345

Standard Member
Thanks guys. So I just impulse bought a Denon AVR-X4200W. I was always going to have the front height presence speakers (ceiling mounted), and given the X4200 is an Atmos, it ticks that off.

So only option left is to wire the rear ceiling speakers to the surround back's..... I know it's the wrong height, but no other choice. - I can't chase more cables through the walls...
...but then I just noticed this amp have Front Wide L/R outputs... I didn't realise Atmos included this option. Is there no end to the setup options??

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest not locating back surrounds on your ceiling. They will not portray the back channels correctly is located on your ceiling. They need to be ideally at your seated head height or slighly higher than this.

If dealing with speakers that are already located on the ceiling then you'd be better off assigning them as back Atmos speakers as opposed to using them at back surrounds. Your best option would be a 5.1.4 setup if you've no option other than to use the 2 backmost speakers located on your ceiling.

You'd need a very large room to accomodate width speakers. You'd also be limited as to how to engage them with that particular AV receiver. I'd suggest it not the best use of the AV receiver's amplification.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom