5.1.4 or 7.1.4 First system.

DHT1728

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello. Was hoping for some advice/opinions for my first wired system.
5.1.4 or 7.1.4 to start. Sketch is the multi use living room. LCR are placed in normal location. Everything else is open to ideas on 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 for placements.
No ceiling speakers. I plan on heights at front and back top of 8' wall as far up as they can go. Crawl space for all wires other than LCR and FT HTs. There is more furniture in the room but I can do as I please with that.

This started as I went from a 2011 50" TV with YAS 209 soundbar(free) to 86" 4k TV with Q950A. If a 950A is that impressive to me, I cant imagine what a dedicated system can do. I have read/watched enough AVforums and youtube content to be only be a danger to myself.
Only thing I feel like I want is AVR with all the audio codecs like Atmos, DTX and Auro 3d upmixer.

Appreciate any wisdom you all can drop on me.

Attachments

• DT HT.pdf
    355.4 KB · Views: 95
Hi. Personally, I would advise wiring for the full 7.1.4 if possible, even if you only currently intend to run a 5.1.4 system. I wouldn't worry too much about your avr having Auro 3d as it doesn't seem a very common format. You can find all your required formats supported by avrs from around 2016 onwards. I am currently running a Marantz SR6011 from 2016 and it is capable of all the formats you named above apart from Auro. However it is incompatible with HDR10+.

When I built my theater, I wired for a 7.1.4, even though I only used 5.1.4 for the first year. Always plan for future expansion.

Im not sure what to suggest with the locations of your height speakers as it does not follow the atmos spec, However others on here may know better than me. I did see a video on comparing overhead speaker arrangement vs the front/rear height arrangement of Auro 3d and he achieved good results. However the longer your room is, the greater the angle of the overhead speakers from their ideal position.

Hi. Personally, I would advise wiring for the full 7.1.4 if possible, even if you only currently intend to run a 5.1.4 system. I wouldn't worry too much about your avr having Auro 3d as it doesn't seem a very common format. You can find all your required formats supported by avrs from around 2016 onwards. I am currently running a Marantz SR6011 from 2016 and it is capable of all the formats you named above apart from Auro. However it is incompatible with HDR10+.

When I built my theater, I wired for a 7.1.4, even though I only used 5.1.4 for the first year. Always plan for future expansion.

Im not sure what to suggest with the locations of your height speakers as it does not follow the atmos spec, However others on here may know better than me. I did see a video on comparing overhead speaker arrangement vs the front/rear height arrangement of Auro 3d and he achieved good results. However the longer your room is, the greater the angle of the overhead speakers from their ideal position.
Thanks Admbar.
I was just looking at the wiring locations. I will for sure run wires for future proof so I only do that chore once.

I agree on the Auro content. I just keep reading that the upmixer engages the height speakers more with additional content. It may not help but sure cant hurt to have it.

Thanks for your insights.

Hello. Was hoping for some advice/opinions for my first wired system.
5.1.4 or 7.1.4 to start. Sketch is the multi use living room. LCR are placed in normal location. Everything else is open to ideas on 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 for placements.
No ceiling speakers. I plan on heights at front and back top of 8' wall as far up as they can go. Crawl space for all wires other than LCR and FT HTs. There is more furniture in the room but I can do as I please with that.

This started as I went from a 2011 50" TV with YAS 209 soundbar(free) to 86" 4k TV with Q950A. If a 950A is that impressive to me, I cant imagine what a dedicated system can do. I have read/watched enough AVforums and youtube content to be only be a danger to myself.
Only thing I feel like I want is AVR with all the audio codecs like Atmos, DTX and Auro 3d upmixer.

Appreciate any wisdom you all can drop on me.
Your room is relatively big, so having 7 base layer speakers makes a lot of sense. But are ceiling speakers completely impossible? In any case, I agree you should plan for 7.1.4. even if it isn't possible at the moment.

However, your layout has one big problem, you placed the MLP in the middle of the room. The middle of the room should be avoided at all costs, it's precisely where you'll have bass nulls. It's highly advisable to move the chairs forward or back.

Your room is relatively big, so having 7 base layer speakers makes a lot of sense. But are ceiling speakers completely impossible? In any case, I agree you should plan for 7.1.4. even if it isn't possible at the moment.

However, your layout has one big problem, you placed the MLP in the middle of the room. The middle of the room should be avoided at all costs, it's precisely where you'll have bass nulls. It's highly advisable to move the chairs forward or back.
Hi. Thanks for the reply and separate communication. I agree. I may have a lead on the SVS 5.1 satellite with the SVS SB1000 for $500 USD. I think this deal could work well for the side and rears.

The MLP can be more to the left of the sound stage and still about 2ft from the side wall.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom