5.1.4 - do I really need to spend £1k on a AV amp ?

wwwebber

Hi all, its been a long time since I bought a new AV amp and my first foray into Atmos. Now, I want to go for a 5.1.4 setup which clearly means a 9 channel amp. I have investigated this for a while now and my option appears to be only amps that cost over £1k eg Denon X3700H. Have I got this right ? or am I missing something big ?. Thank you.

blacksheep99

I'd go 2nd hand personally. The current issues with the latest HDMI 2.1 AVR means I think the best value is to be had with the Denon 4500. Try get one of those 2nd had for about £500. Let the AVR upgrades happen and upgrade in a couple years time if needs be.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yes, you don't currently have many if any other options, not unless you are prepared to buy a used 9 channel AVR.

Jester1066

I think the best value is to be had with the Denon 4500. Try get one of those 2nd had for about £500.
As a current owner of a 4500 - not looking to sell btw - you'd be extremely lucky to get one for £500 imo. There's 2 on a well known auction site atm, lowest is £799.

The 4500 is a fabulous receiver imo - which is why I'm in no hurry to.part with mine! 🙂

martin 39

I have not long picked up a used 4400h for £480 this does a great job with atmos a dv pass through eaec basically all you need

gibbsy

Good used AV amps are holding on to their prices at the moment. Is this too much for you. You'll not get a much better 11 channel amp for less. It's Peter Tyson via evil bay but may be worth a phone call.

Jester1066

I have not long picked up a used 4400h for £480 this does a great job with atmos a dv pass through eaec basically all you need
You sir did very well to get such a bargain. 👍🏼

Jester1066

Got it off the classifieds here
I ain't parting with my 4500 for the foreseeable....

Having said that, I've got half an eye on the new Pioneer/Onkyo's (which will have Dirac). Whenever they're released.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom