5.1.4 atmos in-ceiling speaker choice and position

dipsettt

Standard Member
Reaction score
I currently have a large room with a 3.2 setup (86m/ 925ft squared floor plan attached) I can’t have rear surrounds at the moment as they would have to be on a stand and the kids would knock them over.

I luckily have someone willing to help wire up ceiling speakers for me so I’m now going down the route of getting 4 in-ceiling speakers for my setup (and another pair for the kitchen and also 2 outdoor speakers too).

for the 4 in-ceiling speakers, I’m considering putting them in the attached positions and they would ultimately get used as Atmos speakers. However, since I don’t have surround speakers, I’m considering having the rear pair of in-ceiling speakers set up as surround speakers (not ideal as they aren’t ear level) as a temporary measure (temporary = potentially years) until my kids are old enough to not knock down any speakers on stands (they don’t touch my speakers but as they scooter around in the house there will inevitably be an accident). Are there any issues with my suggested speaker positions (attached floor plan shows it best)? Oddly enough the Dolby suggestion shows the rear atmos behind the rear surround in the overhead view but ahead of the rear surrounds in the side view Dolby

In-ceiling speaker choice: I’m thinking of Polk Audio RC80i (8inch driver) based on a little Googling and YouTube. Polk Audio RC80i. Would be interested to hear anyone’s experience with these or any other suggestions? I wasn’t intending to have a high budget for these given Atmos duties are fairly light but they would get used for multichannel stereo if we were to have lots of people over for a birthday party (maybe once or twice a year).

other thoughts:
1. Outdoor speakers: RS recommended monitor audio climate 80 which have 8 inch drivers. Patio is 12m x 5m. Garden extends much further beyond patio. Thoughts?
Monitor audio climate 80
2. My AVR is two channels short so RS suggested a Cambridge audio AXR 85 to power the outdoor speakers. Thoughts?
CA AXR85

My Setup is as follows:
Marantz SR7015
Dali Zensor Vokal (needs upgrading)
Dali opticon 8 MK1
Rel t9i (needs upgrading)
Monoprice monolith 15”

I have attached some pics of the room to help show where I’m thinking of putting the speakers and to give you an idea of how things look. Ignore the tv (65” LG) as I’ll probably eventually go with a projector. Kids toys are everywhere....

thanks

Attachments

• ABDD5660-C270-4730-8960-D65C99812FC0.jpeg
    ABDD5660-C270-4730-8960-D65C99812FC0.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 416
  • 6B60B170-5BC8-4E49-AEC3-EE9F03E5421F.png
    6B60B170-5BC8-4E49-AEC3-EE9F03E5421F.png
    277 KB · Views: 604
  • AD256C10-F6B9-4215-B4B2-834A03C5710D.jpeg
    AD256C10-F6B9-4215-B4B2-834A03C5710D.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 491
  • 61DDD07D-F092-42E8-AF68-0F6FC5E2F68C.jpeg
    61DDD07D-F092-42E8-AF68-0F6FC5E2F68C.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 462
  • 9DF824C1-EC87-4D5F-81D5-154086965A93.jpeg
    9DF824C1-EC87-4D5F-81D5-154086965A93.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 371
  • E52DA684-DD4F-45FD-B967-F6875CF9D20F.jpeg
    E52DA684-DD4F-45FD-B967-F6875CF9D20F.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 344
  • 129E8751-2FD1-4FD8-8AF0-60D92BE1ACEE.jpeg
    129E8751-2FD1-4FD8-8AF0-60D92BE1ACEE.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 384
  • 06ACBE63-73DF-4D54-985F-975BBFCAC0C9.jpeg
    06ACBE63-73DF-4D54-985F-975BBFCAC0C9.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 382
That's a rather large room and I would say, filling that room with sound will require a huge amount of power with large speakers.

As for the rear surrounds, are you unable to attach speakers similar to the Dali Rubicon LCR. They're not cheap, but I feel going with anything less in that size of room will only show up with a weakness in your audio expectations. From that point onwards, you will be able to place your Atmos speakers in the correct location without worry of spoiling the focused elevation experience which you would suffer with in using in ceiling speakers are rear surround sound speakers

Can I ask what electronics you are going to use to power all these speakers?

I currently have a large room with a 3.2 setup (86m/ 925ft squared floor plan attached) I can’t have rear surrounds at the moment as they would have to be on a stand and the kids would knock them over.

I luckily have someone willing to help wire up ceiling speakers for me so I’m now going down the route of getting 4 in-ceiling speakers for my setup (and another pair for the kitchen and also 2 outdoor speakers too).

for the 4 in-ceiling speakers, I’m considering putting them in the attached positions and they would ultimately get used as Atmos speakers. However, since I don’t have surround speakers, I’m considering having the rear pair of in-ceiling speakers set up as surround speakers (not ideal as they aren’t ear level) as a temporary measure (temporary = potentially years) until my kids are old enough to not knock down any speakers on stands (they don’t touch my speakers but as they scooter around in the house there will inevitably be an accident). Are there any issues with my suggested speaker positions (attached floor plan shows it best)? Oddly enough the Dolby suggestion shows the rear atmos behind the rear surround in the overhead view but ahead of the rear surrounds in the side view Dolby

In-ceiling speaker choice: I’m thinking of Polk Audio RC80i (8inch driver) based on a little Googling and YouTube. Polk Audio RC80i. Would be interested to hear anyone’s experience with these or any other suggestions? I wasn’t intending to have a high budget for these given Atmos duties are fairly light but they would get used for multichannel stereo if we were to have lots of people over for a birthday party (maybe once or twice a year).

other thoughts:
1. Outdoor speakers: RS recommended monitor audio climate 80 which have 8 inch drivers. Patio is 12m x 5m. Garden extends much further beyond patio. Thoughts?
Monitor audio climate 80
2. My AVR is two channels short so RS suggested a Cambridge audio AXR 85 to power the outdoor speakers. Thoughts?
CA AXR85

My Setup is as follows:
Marantz SR7015
Dali opticon 8 MK1
Rel t9i (needs upgrading)
Monoprice monolith 15”

I have attached some pics of the room to help show where I’m thinking of putting the speakers and to give you an idea of how things look. Ignore the tv (65” LG) as I’ll probably eventually go with a projector. Kids toys are everywhere....

thanks

Why not some in-wall / on-wall surround speakers on the side walls directly to side of listeners? Dali Oberon On-Wall would look nice also and would be safe from kids.

If you are stuck on in-ceiling then you can´t really have atmos. Overhead speakers and surround channels both close by at the ceiling wouldn´t make any sense. You wouldn`t get the desired effect. Eveything coming from up. Waste of money!

I would swap the center channel first cause it`s the most active speaker in your system (movies). Get the Opticon Vokal cause it`s on sale and SOON discontinued!

Hope you can get the projector soon. You can buy projector screen and mount it on ceiling in front of the tv so you can keep using the tv too. You need to consider this early regarding where the projector goes / how large screen you will get. Can´t just throw the projector where it looks best you have to check that the shooting ratios etc.

That Monolith looks massive, but yeah no other way around in that massive room! 💪

@ShanePJ he wrote the gear he has, you need glasses mate? 🤓

My Setup is as follows:
Marantz SR7015
Dali opticon 8 MK1
Monoprice monolith 15”

That's a rather large room and I would say, filling that room with sound will require a huge amount of power with large speakers.

As for the rear surrounds, are you unable to attach speakers similar to the Dali Rubicon LCR. They're not cheap, but I feel going with anything less in that size of room will only show up with a weakness in your audio expectations. From that point onwards, you will be able to place your Atmos speakers in the correct location without worry of spoiling the focused elevation experience which you would suffer with in using in ceiling speakers are rear surround sound speakers

Can I ask what electronics you are going to use to power all these speakers?
Thanks for the response Shane. Perhaps my original post wasn’t clear....I would position the in-ceiling speakers as best as possible to be used as atoms speakers (their eventual use). Roughly measuring this out, the left and right in-ceiling speakers would be 2.7m apart and there would be a 3.8m distance from the front pair to the rear pair. These measurements are roughly at a 45 degree angle in front and behind the MLP and roughly in line with the front floorstanders.

I agree using the rear in-ceiling pair as surround isn’t ideal...even as an interim solution but I figured some surround would be better than no surround? Would using the rear in-ceiling speakers really be that terrible even at the distances/angles mentioned above?

as for wall speakers....I can’t see how I can do this. Left side of the sofa is ok, but I can’t see how I could get wiring to the right side without having some sort of Trunking on the wall (see pics). Not sure if there is a way of going via the ceiling (?) but having speaker wire going up the wall and across the room with be a definite no from the wife :( the red markings on the third pic show where I was planning to run speaker cable (along the floor and under the sofa) to bookshelf speakers on stands at some point in the future. Maybe I’ll have to ask my brother in law to see if he can get wires to the wall discretely.
Why not some in-wall / on-wall surround speakers on the side walls directly to side of listeners? Dali Oberon On-Wall would look nice also and would be safe from kids.

If you are stuck on in-ceiling then you can´t really have atmos. Overhead speakers and surround channels both close by at the ceiling wouldn´t make any sense. You wouldn`t get the desired effect. Eveything coming from up. Waste of money!

I would swap the center channel first cause it`s the most active speaker in your system (movies). Get the Opticon Vokal cause it`s on sale and SOON discontinued!

Hope you can get the projector soon. You can buy projector screen and mount it on ceiling in front of the tv so you can keep using the tv too. You need to consider this early regarding where the projector goes / how large screen you will get. Can´t just throw the projector where it looks best you have to check that the shooting ratios etc.

That Monolith looks massive, but yeah no other way around in that massive room! 💪

My Setup is as follows:
Marantz SR7015
Dali opticon 8 MK1
Monoprice monolith 15”
You don’t need to tell me twice about upgrading the centre haha. I’m hoping stocks still lost for a wee bit longer while I raise the funds via selling the REL. Bought the opticon 8’s, marantz and monoprice all in the last 4 months. The rushed splurge on in ceiling and outdoor speakers is all down to having the offer of free installation (my DIY skills are terrible haha).

i might need to give this some more thought and perhaps just run the cables. I’ve also been advised to get Dali in-ceiling to match the existing sound signature and also go for better but smaller than 8in for Atmos as the subs would be providing the low frequencies in any case.

as for the projector, I was looking at ultra short throws with an ambient light rejecting screen. I have heard projectors in general aren’t as user friendly as TVs but it’s hard to imagine what it would be like as I haven’t used one or seen a projector in a long time. A long throw projector hooked up to the ceiling would again be a no from the wife (hence the mono price is hidden in the corner haha). I can safely say the projector will be kicked much further in the distance if I spend on in-ceilings and outdoor speakers.

one thing I forgot to mention in original post....I use the system 75% music, 25% movies/Netflix (hoping this increases over time).

Thanks

Attachments

• 0F2700FF-E69C-4D3A-A205-77CCB8CF2EDD.jpeg
    0F2700FF-E69C-4D3A-A205-77CCB8CF2EDD.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 330
  • 52305857-80B4-4B3F-AFE7-20DAE5EF9BBF.jpeg
    52305857-80B4-4B3F-AFE7-20DAE5EF9BBF.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 271
  • 344F826C-F653-4D77-8F04-88B09ECBAD43.jpeg
    344F826C-F653-4D77-8F04-88B09ECBAD43.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 306
as for wall speakers....I can’t see how I can do this. Left side of the sofa is ok, but I can’t see how I could get wiring to the right side without having some sort of Trunking on the wall (see pics). Not sure if there is a way of going via the ceiling (?) but having speaker wire going up the wall and across the room with be a definite no from the wife :( the red markings on the third pic show where I was planning to run speaker cable (along the floor and under the sofa) to bookshelf speakers on stands at some point in the future. Maybe I’ll have to ask my brother in law to see if he can get wires to the wall discretely.

You don’t need to tell me twice about upgrading the centre haha. I’m hoping stocks still lost for a wee bit longer while I raise the funds via selling the REL. Bought the opticon 8’s, marantz and monoprice all in the last 4 months. The rushed splurge on in ceiling and outdoor speakers is all down to having the offer of free installation (my DIY skills are terrible haha).

i might need to give this some more thought and perhaps just run the cables. I’ve also been advised to get Dali in-ceiling to match the existing sound signature and also go for better but smaller than 8in for Atmos as the subs would be providing the low frequencies in any case.

as for the projector, I was looking at ultra short throws with an ambient light rejecting screen. I have heard projectors in general aren’t as user friendly as TVs but it’s hard to imagine what it would be like as I haven’t used one or seen a projector in a long time. A long throw projector hooked up to the ceiling would again be a no from the wife (hence the mono price is hidden in the corner haha). I can safely say the projector will be kicked much further in the distance if I spend on in-ceilings and outdoor speakers.

one thing I forgot to mention in original post....I use the system 75% music, 25% movies/Netflix (hoping this increases over time).

Thanks

You could just stick with 5.1 using in-ceiling speakers. That is quite popular in large open spaces in US. Not optimal location, but better than nothing. I just can´t see 5.1.2 working if you have overhead speakers in front and surround speakers behind listeners all in ceiling. The surround speakers should be close to seated ear height if you have overhead speakers for Atmos. There is no surround back channels in 5.1/5.1.2!

You should be able to sell Rel fast, i can imagine it being intresting choice for many due to nice looks and small size. Try here at AVF classifieds (bump the thread daily), gumtree, ebay.

You don`t necessarily need to buy Dali in-ceiling speakers no matching requirement, but of course they would make more sense quality wise than the Polk cheap RC serie. 350£/499£ pair (Dali E60/E80). The larger version (8") is usually bit easier to power and has higher power handling, 8" driver can move more air so if you are going to be listening loud then it would be natural choice. If you would be opting for one pair (5.1) then i would consider the location more carefully bringing it closer to couch.

The Ultra Short Throw is certainly intresting option so you get some 100" picture i believe, hopefully even larger as you don´t sit so close. The projector itself needs to be close to wall at center so you have to place the center channel then on stand in front of it or something like that. I would be curious also how silent they are, the good thing is the projector is further away. I have Benq short throw projector and it`s noisy as hell! Like having vacuum cleaner On during movie. 🤬 Otherwise i can say that nothing beats big picture! When you get it you will be thinking why i didn´t do this years ago, cause it will make such a big difference to give that cinematic feeling you won´t be getting with 65" tv.

You could just stick with 5.1 using in-ceiling speakers. That is quite popular in large open spaces in US. Not optimal location, but better than nothing. I just can´t see 5.1.2 working if you have overhead speakers in front and surround speakers behind listeners all in ceiling. The surround speakers should be close to seated ear height if you have overhead speakers for Atmos. There is no surround back channels in 5.1/5.1.2!

You should be able to sell Rel fast, i can imagine it being intresting choice for many due to nice looks and small size. Try here at AVF classifieds (bump the thread daily), gumtree, ebay.

You don`t necessarily need to buy Dali in-ceiling speakers no matching requirement, but of course they would make more sense quality wise than the Polk cheap RC serie. 350£/499£ pair (Dali E60/E80). The larger version (8") is usually bit easier to power and has higher power handling, 8" driver can move more air so if you are going to be listening loud then it would be natural choice. If you would be opting for one pair (5.1) then i would consider the location more carefully bringing it closer to couch.

The Ultra Short Throw is certainly intresting option so you get some 100" picture i believe, hopefully even larger as you don´t sit so close. The projector itself needs to be close to wall at center so you have to place the center channel then on stand in front of it or something like that. I would be curious also how silent they are, the good thing is the projector is further away. I have Benq short throw projector and it`s noisy as hell! Like having vacuum cleaner On during movie. 🤬 Otherwise i can say that nothing beats big picture! When you get it you will be thinking why i didn´t do this years ago, cause it will make such a big difference to give that cinematic feeling you won´t be getting with 65" tv.
Hmmm sticking with 5.1 might actually be a good idea in the interim. I mean I would still probably get the two pairs of in-ceiling fitted as they will eventually be used as atmos but given that the AVR is two channels short of what I need I can probably leave the two front in-ceiling speakers disconnected in the interim until I get surrounds at ear level as well as an amp to power the extra channels. Again the location of the rear in-ceiling speakers won’t be ideal for surround speakers but I see it as a short term solution till I get some surround speakers at ear height.

i will probably try and advertise the REL this weekend if I get a chance.

in terms of speaker choice, is an 8” driver overkill for atmos? I haven’t heard an atmos setup but from what I have read online it is mostly higher frequency stuff played through the atmos channels? The 8” driver would be useful for multichannel stereo but that will only be used on rare occasions. Opinions on this are welcome. £500 for the 8” Dali’s is quite a bit of money. I would probably go for 8” in the kitchen though as that will be a separate zone (might not be Dali, I haven’t decided yet). I have no idea if you can audition ceiling speakers at RS? Might have to give them a call.

im itching to get an ultra short throw. They can do 120” but 100” is more common. I’ve even looked at the dimensions and most of them are too big to sit on top of centre speakers (except the Dali rubicon which is way too much £££). In my head I imagine having to keep my centre speaker of a shelf/support behind the projector but elevated above it so it sits above the projector and below the image thrown onto the screen. Will let you know how loud it is if I ever get round to buying it.

I'll blame that on my CoVID Jab on Monday, I hadn't had much sleep that night and certainly felt like I'd been dragged through a few hedges that day :rolleyes: Its fine now as I'm 50% of my way on to the land of Resident Evil with the t-cell virus (I mean az vaccine) inside me awaiting a visit from Milla Jovovich :rotfl:

Last edited:
Oddly enough the Dolby suggestion shows the rear atmos behind the rear surround in the overhead view but ahead of the rear surrounds in the side view Dolby
Ok so now I’m confused. There seem to be two different speaker placement configuration documents from Dolby for 5.1.4. Any ideas which one is correct/better? They suggest 45 degrees in front and behind the MLP (and in line with the front left and right channel). One of the images has the in ceiling overhead speakers further forward and further behind the MLP. If I went for a 45 degree angle, I’d be looking at having the speakers 1.9 metres forward from the MLP and 1.9m behind. Does the 3.8m gap between them seem too large? Im wondering if losing them closer (as the other Dolby image suggests) might be better?

Links below
Dolby 5.1.4 (seems far apart)
Dolby 5.1.4 (more narrow)

photos attached to make it easier.
Thanks

Attachments

• 89016D1F-10E7-4853-B0DE-DFE22D4CBEF2.png
    89016D1F-10E7-4853-B0DE-DFE22D4CBEF2.png
    261.2 KB · Views: 307
  • 1235D4DF-11D8-4A57-91C9-B3CABB244B1A.png
    1235D4DF-11D8-4A57-91C9-B3CABB244B1A.png
    252.5 KB · Views: 386
Ok so now I’m confused. There seem to be two different speaker placement configuration documents from Dolby for 5.1.4. Any ideas which one is correct/better? They suggest 45 degrees in front and behind the MLP (and in line with the front left and right channel). One of the images has the in ceiling overhead speakers further forward and further behind the MLP. If I went for a 45 degree angle, I’d be looking at having the speakers 1.9 metres forward from the MLP and 1.9m behind. Does the 3.8m gap between them seem too large? Im wondering if losing them closer (as the other Dolby image suggests) might be better?

Links below

Thanks

Maybe @mb3195 knows this and/or can comment more from experience?

Links below

Thanks
Ignore the Dolby guildines and read the link below instead. The Dolby specs are for Atmos only, whereas no doubts you’ll be watching DTSX and upmixed dts tracks. So you really need the best “solution” for everything.

if I was starting again I’d definitely follow the trinnov guidelines as they do make more sense, especially having the ceiling speakers slightly further inwards (away from the sidewalls).

That link doesn't work. I assume you mean this document?

Thanks guys.

there is a lot of info in that document and I’m not sure I completely follow it all.

So i have done some more measuring. From MLP ear height to the ceiling is 1.5m. I can only place the in-ceiling speakers in locations symmetrical to spotlights which means the 4 in-ceilings will be 2.8m apart (width) which is 1.4m either side of the MLP (close enough to the 45 degrees I think the article was aiming for?). The front pair and rear pair will also be 2.8m apart but due to the symmetry, they will have to either be:
Option 1: 1.1m behind MLP, 1.7m infront
Option 2: 1.9m behind MLP, 0.9m in front

The floorstanders are 4.2M from the MLP. And the inceilings will be 1.3m away from the left wall and 2.6m from the right wall (seating isn’t in the centre of the room).

with the above in mind, is option 1 or 2 better? Whichever speakers I get, they will have adjustable tweeters which will be directed at the MLP.

Also I went to richer sounds to demo a few in-ceilings. There were three to try and my preference in order is below:
1. Monitor audio c265 (6.5in driver)
2. Cambridge audio SS10 (6/6.5in)
3. Dali e60 (6.5in driver)

The Dali was very very disappointing. Based on the advice from RS I am probably now looking to get the Monitor Audio CP-CT260 (6inch) which is a little more expensive but it has a back box so reduces sound leakage and improves performance. Small chance I might get the CP-CT380 which is the 8 inch driver version. Just thought I would put my thoughts here as there isn’t much review info online for in-ceilings.

As many have said on this forum already, RS also said that my centre channel (zensor vokal) really needs to be upgraded.

thanks in advance.

If it were me I'd be going with option 1.

I had four speakers split evenly overhead, probably about 0.8 in front and 0.8 behind (too close, but I'm working a small room). Moving the fronts to in ceiling and putting them about 1.5m in front of the MLP (about 55 degrees elevation) made a huge difference.

It gave much more separation and a better sense of "overheadedness". It gave more height to the soundstage as well.

What I took away from thee Trinnov article is that something close to the Atmos layout is best for most purposes. Most of the 3D audio I listen to is Atmos and that's not likely to change any time soon. I'll be installing my in ceiling speakers in roughly atmos positions in my new room, for what it's worth.

Thanks guys.

there is a lot of info in that document and I’m not sure I completely follow it all.

So i have done some more measuring. From MLP ear height to the ceiling is 1.5m. I can only place the in-ceiling speakers in locations symmetrical to spotlights which means the 4 in-ceilings will be 2.8m apart (width) which is 1.4m either side of the MLP (close enough to the 45 degrees I think the article was aiming for?). The front pair and rear pair will also be 2.8m apart but due to the symmetry, they will have to either be:
Option 1: 1.1m behind MLP, 1.7m infront
Option 2: 1.9m behind MLP, 0.9m in front

The floorstanders are 4.2M from the MLP. And the inceilings will be 1.3m away from the left wall and 2.6m from the right wall (seating isn’t in the centre of the room).

with the above in mind, is option 1 or 2 better? Whichever speakers I get, they will have adjustable tweeters which will be directed at the MLP.

Also I went to richer sounds to demo a few in-ceilings. There were three to try and my preference in order is below:
1. Monitor audio c265 (6.5in driver)
2. Cambridge audio SS10 (6/6.5in)
3. Dali e60 (6.5in driver)

The Dali was very very disappointing. Based on the advice from RS I am probably now looking to get the Monitor Audio CP-CT260 (6inch) which is a little more expensive but it has a back box so reduces sound leakage and improves performance. Small chance I might get the CP-CT380 which is the 8 inch driver version. Just thought I would put my thoughts here as there isn’t much review info online for in-ceilings.

As many have said on this forum already, RS also said that my centre channel (zensor vokal) really needs to be upgraded.

thanks in advance.

The back box shouldn`t improve performance, i would consider the IDC model of 265 if you can spend more. It`s specifically what MA recommends for Atmos. Read here:

Another option would be some Kef in-ceiling models (QR) like these two:

If it were me I'd be going with option 1.

I had four speakers split evenly overhead, probably about 0.8 in front and 0.8 behind (too close, but I'm working a small room). Moving the fronts to in ceiling and putting them about 1.5m in front of the MLP (about 55 degrees elevation) made a huge difference.

It gave much more separation and a better sense of "overheadedness". It gave more height to the soundstage as well.

What I took away from thee Trinnov article is that something close to the Atmos layout is best for most purposes. Most of the 3D audio I listen to is Atmos and that's not likely to change any time soon. I'll be installing my in ceiling speakers in roughly atmos positions in my new room, for what it's worth.
Thanks Conrad, that is really useful to know so thanks for sharing. I was leaning towards option 1 so good to hear you would recommend that too.

The back box shouldn`t improve performance, i would consider the IDC model of 265 if you can spend more. It`s specifically what MA recommends for Atmos. Read here:

Another option would be some Kef in-ceiling models (QR) like these two:

Funnily enough I just called an in-ceiling company before reading your post. They also mention going for the IDC range, specifically the c265 IDC. I had seen them online but didn’t know what the “IDC” added other than a higher price. They explained it has a 3 way driver which gives it improved mids and highs. They did say the CP range does have improved bass versus open back speakers but bass isn’t really needed for atmos and so the IDC range makes more sense.

I’ll check out the KEFs but my brain is slowly getting frazzled with the huge variety of in-ceiling speakers on the market :confused:

Thanks Conrad, that is really useful to know so thanks for sharing. I was leaning towards option 1 so good to hear you would recommend that too.
I'd be very interested to hear what @mb3195 thinks though. He's read the same paper so it would be interesting to know if he came to the same or similar conclusions.

He's also got a much richer history of atmos than I do.

But I would think that, operating within the constraints of a non-dedicated room (as in, not dedicated built leaving space for in ceiling speakers exactly where you want them i.e. the room has joists!) I would want the sound more in front of me than behind.

Have you considered on-ceiling rather than in? Then you have freedom of placement completely.

I'd be very interested to hear what @mb3195 thinks though. He's read the same paper so it would be interesting to know if he came to the same or similar conclusions.

He's also got a much richer history of atmos than I do.

But I would think that, operating within the constraints of a non-dedicated room (as in, not dedicated built leaving space for in ceiling speakers exactly where you want them i.e. the room has joists!) I would want the sound more in front of me than behind.

Have you considered on-ceiling rather than in? Then you have freedom of placement completely.
Definitely option 1.

Definitely option 1.
Thanks.
I don’t have a nearby wall behind the right side of the sofa. More importantly is that on ceiling is a no from the wife. She even finds in-ceilings “ugly” so it has been a battle just to get those agreed (in principal....I’m sure she will dislike them even more when they are fitted).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom