5.1.2 with Sony STR-DN1080 - Need purchase advise

vagostrx

Novice Member
Hi. I recently purchased a Sony STR-DN1080 in order to build my first true Home Cinema.

I am upgrading from my HTIB, the LG HB905PA 5.1

I will be using it for movies and games (mostly) and some music.

For my main speakers I will be using Taga Harmony Home Cinema 5.0 TAV-606 V.3 120W (a complete set of 5 speakers)

Regarding the subwoofer I have not concluded in anything. I have a budget of 200-300 euros for that. I am thinking something in the lines of Yamaha NS-SW100.

Regarding the Dolby Atmos speakers I am thinking of wall mounting the Sony SS-CSE.

I have selected everything from skroutz.gr, so that everything I want is available here, in Greece.(As you can understand, availability in Greece is somewhat limited)

Any recommendation is appreciated.

I want also to confirm that the reciever will be able to power everything easily. From my understanding, this setup is within the power limits of the reciever's output.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi. I recently purchased a Sony STR-DN1080 in order to build my first true Home Cinema.

I am upgrading from my HTIB, the LG HB905PA 5.1

I will be using it for movies and games (mostly) and some music.

For my main speakers I will be using Taga Harmony Home Cinema 5.0 TAV-606 V.3 120W (a complete set of 5 speakers)

Regarding the subwoofer I have not concluded in anything. I have a budget of 200-300 euros for that. I am thinking something in the lines of Yamaha NS-SW100.

Regarding the Dolby Atmos speakers I am thinking of wall mounting the Sony SS-CSE.

I have selected everything from skroutz.gr, so that everything I want is available here, in Greece.(As you can understand, availability in Greece is somewhat limited)

Any recommendation is appreciated.

I want also to confirm that the reciever will be able to power everything easily. From my understanding, this setup is within the power limits of the reciever's output.

I can´t connect to that site even with Greece IP through vpn. Is the site down?

Hope you noticed the Sony 1080 is 2017 model so it lacks some features of newer units. Hope you didn`t pay anywhere near what example Denon X2700H costs.

Sonys likely work fine mounted high up on front walls below ceiling and assigned as "front heights" in the 1080 menu. Not as Dolby Enabled!

That Yamaha subwoofer is crap, steer away from that type of boom boxes. There is nothing good with that kind of budget, they are horrible and you would regret then upgrading later losing money! Save up and live without subwoofer for while. SVS is always great choice when in doubt:

Maybe they still have the cheaper non Pro version of this SB model if you require smaller sealed version.

vagostrx

Novice Member
Thanks for your response. I found the SVS PB-1000 Black Ash for 600 euros somewhere else. I guess I will go with that.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your response. I found the SVS PB-1000 Black Ash for 600 euros somewhere else. I guess I will go with that.

Sounds good, but make sure the price difference is noticeable to latest Pro model. If it isn`t then save up for the Pro cause it`s noticeably better. Great to hear you can get SVS product, you won´t regret it and it will put a smile on your face as this is likely your first "real" HT sub. Placement will be very important (front corner furthest from any opening / front wall 25% width wise two places i would start from) and setting it up correct. Keep us posted how you get on and if you need help..

vagostrx

Novice Member
Finally, today SVS PB-1000 arrived. It is a little bigger than expected, but it fit in just nicely. Everything is up and running, the sound is phenomenal. The sub is a little more powerful than I expected, but this can be only good (if I evere move out to a bigger room it will still be powerful enough).

Now I am only waiting for the Front Highs, the Sony SS-CSEs.

Thanks again for the advice.

P.S. I have 2 unrelated questions, regarding music playback.
I have downloaded the Sony Music Center, with which I can control the AVR. I can also cast music with DLNA (the AVR shows up as NETWORK everytime I send a file). The UI is pretty cumbersome though, and sometimes the app disconects without reason, even though music continues to play from the AVR. Can I use any other Android app for casting audio files?
Secondly, I have a raspberry pi 4, and I cast music through VLC. This is using the built-in Chromecast of the reciever. Does this send the files to be played by the reciever, or does it send sound, like a bluetooth connection? I dont know why, but the reciever uses a different preset that I cant find how to change, so I can't compare it ot how it sounds if I play the files localy.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Finally, today SVS PB-1000 arrived. It is a little bigger than expected, but it fit in just nicely. Everything is up and running, the sound is phenomenal. The sub is a little more powerful than I expected, but this can be only good (if I evere move out to a bigger room it will still be powerful enough).

Now I am only waiting for the Front Highs, the Sony SS-CSEs.

Thanks again for the advice.

P.S. I have 2 unrelated questions, regarding music playback.
I have downloaded the Sony Music Center, with which I can control the AVR. I can also cast music with DLNA (the AVR shows up as NETWORK everytime I send a file). The UI is pretty cumbersome though, and sometimes the app disconects without reason, even though music continues to play from the AVR. Can I use any other Android app for casting audio files?
Secondly, I have a raspberry pi 4, and I cast music through VLC. This is using the built-in Chromecast of the reciever. Does this send the files to be played by the reciever, or does it send sound, like a bluetooth connection? I dont know why, but the reciever uses a different preset that I cant find how to change, so I can't compare it ot how it sounds if I play the files localy.

Great to hear that, SVS rarely disappoints!

Best to copy and paste those questions to this thread:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom