5.1.2 to 5.1.4 worth the effort/expense?

JustinT350

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

I am currently running a 5.1.2 set up. I noticed a really good change when I added the front height atmos speakers, and I'm now looking towards the next tweak/upgrade I can do.. (we all do this don't we!)

I don't really have the room for a second subwoofer, but quite like the idea of going to 5.1.4 by adding two rear heights. Note, not ceiling speakers I don't want to have to cut into the ceiling

Has anyone made this small upgrade and is it worth the expense? I'd probably go for another pair of Dali Altecos @ £330

Thanks

About 2.5m in from the rear wall, 7m total length

Yeah it doubles as a play room during the day so not sure I'd get away with a 7.1, but could justify the additional heights to make a 5.1.4 if it was going to make a noticeable difference over the 5.1.2

edit ... seeing you have room behind you to accomodate rear heights ... its well worth it .. infact theres plenty to say that while 2 heights provide quite a bit of benefit ... you really need 4 to have things steered around using the heights :)

I went from 7.1.2 to 5.1.4 then back again! This was due to having the atmos speakers all a bit too close to my sitting position due to the shape of the room. Definitely prefer 7.1.2 as I still get the ceiling effects from the top middle speakers, but now have some extra rear sound which I can place right at the back of the room, and feels sufficiently detached from my seat to be more atmospheric and not as direct. But if you’ve got 2.5 metres at the back 5.1.4 could be really nice. I’m not sure I’ve helped at all there, but a little food for thought perhaps!

Evening all, bit of a bump. I've managed to buy a pair of Dali Altecos to use at the rear of my room as heights. Taking me to a 5.1.4 set up.

I'm just not sure where to position them? Do they need to be above the rear surrounds? Ideally I'd have them above the curtain rail as it'll be easier to hide the cables?

As you can see the surrounds sit a bit wider than the curtain rail. But the seats are almost exactly the same with as the rail. I'm hoping it will be alright to place them at the extremities of the curtains?
IMG_20210607_220430.jpg

Evening all, bit of a bump. I've managed to buy a pair of Dali Altecos to use at the rear of my room as heights. Taking me to a 5.1.4 set up.

I'm just not sure where to position them? Do they need to be above the rear surrounds? Ideally I'd have them above the curtain rail as it'll be easier to hide the cables?

As you can see the surrounds sit a bit wider than the curtain rail. But the seats are almost exactly the same with as the rail. I'm hoping it will be alright to place them at the extremities of the curtains? View attachment 1573714

If you have time, watch this video.

Can skip to atmos speaker part. It answered 99.9% of my questions I'll ever have on speaker placement whilst giving excellent theory and reasoning behind decisions.

As you can see the surrounds sit a bit wider than the curtain rail. But the seats are almost exactly the same with as the rail. I'm hoping it will be alright to place them at the extremities of the curtains? View attachment 1573714
I think you’ll be absolutely ok with those proposed locations :smashin:

Superb thanks.

I'll watch that video aswell, always looking for something home cinema related to watch 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom