• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

5.1.2 Surround Speaker Quandry

trickadero

Standard Member
Hi all,

Looking for some advice as I'm in analysis paralysis!

We've recently moved and I'm collecting gear to kit out the lounge, but struggling with surround speaker choice. Room is a good size and shape; basically square @ 4.9 x 4.8 metres, but a door and friendly for wife/kids means placement and speaker choice are relatively static.

I've attached a pic of the room. TV is on the chimney breast directly opposite the MLP (4 metres away). LCR will be mounted to the breast (2.5 metre separation between LR). Sofa will be back against the opposite wall, maybe a foot or so away from the wall itself (4m to TV).

Kit I've got:
LCR - Kef T301
Ceiling - Kef Ci130ER
AVR - Denon X2600
Sub - XXLS400

The surrounds will have to go on the back wall due to the double door on the left and out slightly wider than the front as there's a window to avoid. The decision I'm struggling with is whether to go with:

1, Kef T101 - match the rest of the speakers, but will have to sit flat on the wall as opposed to angled to the MLP so not ideal
2, MA Bronze FX - still wife friendly, but mixed views on whether these work well with Atmos
3, Something else which meets the criteria?

Both the same price. Bookshelves on angled brackets have been banned. If I went with the MA I'd probably swop out the Kef ceilings for MA ones, but perhaps unnecessary.

For context we're coming from a Plasma in the corner of the room with a Tannoy HTS101 5.1 system so any improvement over that and I'm golden, but obviously want the best I can with what I have to work with.

Would really welcome opinions!

Lounge Layout.jpg

trickadero

Standard Member
I think I must have read every thread on avforums now and leaning towards the Bronze FX. Yes, perhaps the diffused sound won't work the best with atmos, but I think it'll probably be better most of the time than the Kef's which will be facing in the wrong direction (and aren't designed to be set at an angle).

On to the sub cable now, which needs to be about 12 metres. Am I going to have issue at that length? Do I need to look any further than Amazon Basics 15m or would Fisual Rio be preferable in terms of shielding (and the right length)?

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
I think I must have read every thread on avforums now and leaning towards the Bronze FX. Yes, perhaps the diffused sound won't work the best with atmos, but I think it'll probably be better most of the time than the Kef's which will be facing in the wrong direction (and aren't designed to be set at an angle).

On to the sub cable now, which needs to be about 12 metres. Am I going to have issue at that length? Do I need to look any further than Amazon Basics 15m or would Fisual Rio be preferable in terms of shielding (and the right length)?
Im in a similar situation as yourself, as my sofa is quite close to the back wall. Had looked at the kef T101s due to slim profile (other option is cambridge audio minx min 22 which could be angled) and far more likely to be wife friendly, with benefit of being better suited to integrating with atmos (if I ever get atmos). But like you, heading towards the FX for the dispersal.

When used close to seating area it seems to be recommended that they are mounted higher up, which is where I believe it will impact on atmos. My room won't allow them to be installed higher though as there is shelving installed which will push it too close to the side wall and the shelves would be next to the speaker.

Cant comment on sub cables, as I just use the one that came with my BK. Would imagine amazon one would be fine, but you need to lose 3m of fat cable somewhere, which is easier said than done.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
As a thought, could you fix a small wedge to the wall and then mount the t101 to the wedge giving you more direction?

trickadero

Standard Member
Thanks both,

Re. the FX mounting height - yes the manual states above head height, but this conflicts with the Dolby atmos guidelines for ear height to maintain separation with the ceiling speakers. The FX manual doesn't mention atmos crucially. There's a few threads with people mounting them lower with good results (not combined with atmos necessarily though).

Re. wedging the T101 - one of the previous threads I read highlighted the need for the Kef T series to be flat mounted as designed else they'll perform very much sub optimal i.e. tinny. Apparently the stands are designed specifically to counteract this.

I think I've actually swung back to T101's mounted flat. They'll match the rest of the speakers I've acquired and I probably won't notice the difference having no better frame of reference. I think either would be an easy re-sell so perhaps not too costly an experiment.

Installer has given back word so I'm going to attempt it all with my wife's assistance... just completed a cable rod, jab saw, etc buying spree... there was lots of eye rolling, but she's on board! 👍🤞

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom