5.1.2 Atmos Set-Up with Bi-Amped Fronts

ahaydock

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my AVR with either the Marantz SR7010 or Pioneer SC-LX89 (or maybe the LX59) but want to keep my existing 5.1 configuration with Bi-Amped Fronts, then add a pair of KEF R50's for Atmos (Front or Rear).

However I cannot figure out this is possible or not from the Web Manuals. I have tried Customer Support for both and they seem to struggle with what I am asking (maybe I am not being clear but seems pretty simple to me).

Any advice appreciated :)

Looking at the manual (page 21) which I just downloaded for the LX89, it looks like it is possible to run Bi-Amped at the front and 7.2.2. So you should be fine with 5.1.2 Bi-Amped.

Productmanual | Pioneer

The Matantz SR7010 will also be fine for this as it has 9 channels of amplification inside.

Adam.

Thanks for asking this i was looking into the same potential set up
Please keep us posted how you get on I'll do likewise
B

Thanks guys.

Marantz have come back and said it isn't possible which is a shame (unless they are incorrect) as that was almost the winner!

Still waiting for Pioneer to update me...

My VSX 930 allows for Bi-Amped fronts and ATMOS and it's only £300 now, so I can't see it being an issue on the LX89 especially when its clearly shown in the manual as one of the speaker setups. I'm currently running my MA RS6's Bi-Amped and will be adding some Atmos enabled speakers as well at some point over the next few months.

Thanks guys.

Marantz have come back and said it isn't possible which is a shame (unless they are incorrect) as that was almost the winner!

Still waiting for Pioneer to update me...
Ah I see, well I could be wrong, but I'd assume all latest AVR's with the correct amount of channels could do this.

Maybe some one with more knowledge could help?

Adam.

AS far as DEnon and Marantz AV receivers are concerned, it makes no odds as to how many channels of amplification are available because the receiver's don't have an assignment option to reassign amplification for bi-amping in conjunction with Atmos. For example, the 7.1 receiver's only have a 5.1 + Bi-amp option even if the receiver facilitates 9 channel processing and has the ability to add a further 2 more channels of amplification via an external amp.

The Matantz SR7010 will also be fine for this as it has 9 channels of amplification inside.

Adam.

But no assignment options to allow for both an Atmos configuration and bi-amping.

I'd not be concerned anyway. You are not really losing anything and bi-amping isn't really of any real importance. It was maybe worth employing if you had spare channels of amplification, but not worth going out of your way to facilitate.

Last edited:
My VSX 930 allows for Bi-Amped fronts and ATMOS

How?

You've not enough amplified channels to be able to do this!

You can Bi-amp your front speakers by reassigning the back amplifiers to the front, but this then leaves you with too few channels for an Atmos configuration. You can have a 5.1 configuration + bi-amped fronts or a 5.1.2 setup, but not both! Both require 7 channels of amplification and the receiver only has 7 channels of amplification.

Page 74 of the Marantz SR7010 manual (on their website) indicates you can bi-amp the fronts and use the height channels which can be used for connecting either Height, or Atmos speakers......but it also says:

"Speakers to output audio are automatically switched for playing back up to 7.1- channels in accordance with the input signal and sound mode.", so maybe it doesn't bi-amp the fronts at the same time???

Edit: Dante has confirmed situation above (as I was typing:)).

How?

You've not enough amplified channels to be able to do this!

You can Bi-amp your front speakers by reassigning the back amplifiers to the front, but this then leaves you with too few channels for an Atmos configuration. You can have a 5.1 configuration + bi-amped fronts or a 5.1.2 setup, but not both! Both require 7 channels of amplification and the receiver only has 7 channels of amplification.

It can do 7.2 or 5.2.2, I didn't say it can do both at the same time with Bi-Amping, I was getting at the fact that Pioneer tend to put a lot of features even in their entry products.

It can do 7.2 or 5.2.2, I didn't say it can do both at the same time with Bi-Amping, I was getting at the fact that Pioneer tend to put a lot of features even in their entry products.

Yes, but if you bi-amp then you are reassigning the amps used to power the back speakers or Atmos speakers to bi-amp the front speakers with so if bi-amping you can then no longer have either a 7.1 or a 5.1.2 setup. You can only have a 5.1 configuration because 2 channels of the 7 are being used to bi-amp your front speakers with!

All of Marantz's and Denon's 7 (or more) channel receivers have the same ability. In fact all current 7 channel AV receivers can bi-amp the front speakers irrespective of the manufacturer. It isn't a feature unique to Pioneer.

Last edited:
But no assignment options to allow for both an Atmos configuration and bi-amping.

I'd not be concerned anyway. You are not really losing anything and bi-amping isn't really of any real importance. It was maybe worth employing if you had spare channels of amplification, but not worth going out of your way to facilitate.
Thanks for clearing that up as i wasn't 100% sure.

Adam.

So Dante for the Marantz at least, does it mean it would bi-amp if processing 5.1 audio, and then drop the bi-amping for anything 7.1 or Atmos? Maybe that's a possible compromise OP might consider?

So Dante for the Marantz at least, does it mean it would bi-amp if processing 5.1 audio, and then drop the bi-amping for anything 7.1 or Atmos? Maybe that's a possible compromise OP might consider?

If you mean automatically reassign the amps then no. You can't do this because of the way the front speakers are wired. You'd lose power to either the upper or lower frequency drive units. How would your speakers rewire themselves and replace their bridging plates?

@dante01 I never meant to imply that I could Bi-amp and use ATMOS at the same time. For clarification I meant either, or.

I am Bi-amping now because those channels are sat doing nothing as I am only use the amp in 4.0 till I can afford some decent speakers to go with my RS6's and 25 year old Sony speakers.

If you mean automatically reassign the amps then no. You can't do this because of the way the front speakers are wired. You'd lose power to either the upper or lower frequency drive units. How would your speakers rewire themselves and replace their bridging plates?
Yes that make sense. I'm trying to understand what the comment I quoted above from the manual actually means. The 'wides' are used for the bi-amping.

Edit: think I understand if it means switching between front height (not Atmos) and rear surrounds.

I've just bought the lx 59 and currently have a 5.1 setup. The manual doesn't seem to list any support for 5.1.2 ? I plan on either getting 2 ceiling speakers or the kef Atmos up firing ones. Is this possible and if so how?

The manual only lists a few 5.1 modes and all are listed as not supporting Atmos. Which is one of the main reasons I bought this.

Thanks in advance, bit of a novice here. Haven't unpacked the amp yet.

I've just bought the lx 59 and currently have a 5.1 setup. The manual doesn't seem to list any support for 5.1.2 ? I plan on either getting 2 ceiling speakers or the kef Atmos up firing ones. Is this possible and if so how?

The manual only lists a few 5.1 modes and all are listed as not supporting Atmos. Which is one of the main reasons I bought this.

Thanks in advance, bit of a novice here. Haven't unpacked the amp yet.

Atmos requires a minimum 5.1.2 configuration and this equates to 7.1 as opposed to the 5.1 you appear to be associating it with. I'd look at configurations available as part of a 7.1 setup as opposed to a 5.1 setup.

The setup you are interested in is referred to as 5.2.2 within the user manual. See page 110 Speaker System Setting

GjbR6S.jpg

http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/s...als/AV-Receiver/SC-LX59/SC-LX59_manual_en.pdf

Last edited:
Atmos requires a minimum 5.1.2 configuration and this equates to 7.1 as opposed to the 5.1 you appear to be associating it with. I'd look at configurations available as part of a 7.1 setup as opposed to a 5.1 setup.

The setup you are interested in is referred to as 5.2.2 within the user manual. See page 110 Speaker System Setting

http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/s...als/AV-Receiver/SC-LX59/SC-LX59_manual_en.pdf
Thanks for the reply.
I didn't get that far as I was just studying the manual showing the different speaker layouts.

In effect where would I plug the Dolby Atmos or ceiling speakers in on the amp?

The more i read the manual the more understanding I am getting, things are finally sinking in.
THe way I see it from the various speaker setups is any .4 speaker setup for atmos (5.1.4 or 7.1.4) seems to require another amplifier either way. I think i'm just going to stick with good old 5.1.2. Or might add another sub and do 5.2.2.

Thanks for the input and replies guys and it seems what I want is achievable. However I've never not had these speakers bi-amped as the option with my current 5.1 has always been there so why not.

Might have a play tomorrow between standard and bi-amped. Lucky the KEF R500's use internal links that you configure on the back so I haven't got to go hunting for links.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom