Answered 5.1.2 Atmos placement

slasher340

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've looked at the Atmos guide & it suggests to place the Ceiling speakers in front if the listening position, when looking at the plan view?

When looking at the side view it suggests its should be directly above the listening position?

Which is correct?

I'm thinking of buying 4 MA C265 IDC (for 5.1.4) but only have about 1 meter from front to back for the ceiling speaker placement (due to the sofa being almost near the back wall) is it going to be worth the investment or should I just go with the 2 ceiling speakers?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Attachments

• atmos2.JPG
    atmos2.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 90
  • atmos1.JPG
    atmos1.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 102
Place them just above where your knees would be when sitting, you want the sound to flow over you. It's just a guide in reality and maybe shouldn't be taken as gospel because everyone's listening room and seating positions vary greatly. Get as near as possible to the layout plan.

I thought best option would be half the way from sofa to front speakers!
So almost up your head is best option? And if sofa is against wall , wouldn’t be so close to the rear surrounds?

Hi

I've managed to work out the best placement which is 65 degrees from the listening position. Take a tape measure from your ear vertical to the ceiling (164cm) from that spot measure out towards the front speakers (76cm)

Add these values to the calculator below in the values side A and B

Angle A/B Will give you the actual angle you need.

Right Triangle Angle And Side Calculator

Gibbsy was spot on, that's roughly the right place if you don't want to be exact.

I don't have enough clearance at the back for 5.1.4 for the best placement. I'd need to bring the sofa too far forward for it to work.

@Barbin, thats the issue I'm trying to overcome the rears would be about 70cm from the right seat on the 2 seater sofa, I already have MA silver FX which I was going to try in bipole mode to try and defuse the sound being so close to the rear wall. Alternatively I have a pair or MA radius 90's as rears. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks both, for your input.

Hi

I've managed to work out the best placement which is 65 degrees from the listening position. Take a tape measure from your ear vertical to the ceiling (164cm) from that spot measure out towards the front speakers (76cm)

Add these values to the calculator below in the values side A and B

Angle A/B Will give you the actual angle you need.

Right Triangle Angle And Side Calculator

Gibbsy was spot on, that's roughly the right place if you don't want to be exact.

I don't have enough clearance at the back for 5.1.4 for the best placement. I'd need to bring the sofa too far forward for it to work.

@Barbin, thats the issue I'm trying to overcome the rears would be about 70cm from the right seat on the 2 seater sofa, I already have MA silver FX which I was going to try in bipole mode to try and defuse the sound being so close to the rear wall. Alternatively I have a pair or MA radius 90's as rears. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks both, for your input.
Hi Slasher, how far in from the side walls did you bring the atmos speakers?

Hi Slasher, how far in from the side walls did you bring the atmos speakers?
Try and keep them in line with the fronts. Inside of the fronts marginally if you feel that is too close to the side wall.

Try and keep them in line with the fronts. Inside of the fronts marginally if you feel that is too close to the side wall.
Thanks gibbsy, I've a plumber coming over next week to look at moving some pipework, this will allow me to step in the speakers a bit more.

Have you heard anything about Atlantic Technology speakers? I've had a CI quote with a AT system.

Last edited:
Thanks gibbsy, I've a plumber coming over next week to look at moving some pipework, this will allow me to step in the speakers a bit more.

Have you head anything about Atlantic Technology speakers? I've had a CI quote with a AT system.
A plumber.:eek:

What's going to be your first film, U571 or Titanic.:D

A plumber.:eek:

What's going to be your first film, U571 or Titanic.:D
Well I did mention Atlantic ;) and I feel like I'm sinking already :p

Step in the speakers less* so currently the best I can do is 850mm from the side walls....

Well I did mention Atlantic ;) and I feel like I'm sinking already :p

Step in the speakers less* so currently the best I can do is 850mm from the side walls....
I think most can be angled inward. Still the best way to go.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom