Question 5.1.2. atmos/amp/speaker set up / install question....help/advice

wakkaday

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi guys

i hope you can help - i went to richer sound and they sent one of their guys who quoted around 600£ for the install (this is running wires discreetly / hidden)

2 speakers wall mounted (front)
2 speakers wall mounted (rear)
2 atmos speakers in ceiling... (runing cable through ceiling to wall)

are there an alternative people i could find to do this cheaper? (it would involve cutting ceiling, walls, refilling etc)

-----
i have been given a quote for:

Sony 1080 & Mass 5.1
Monitor Audio's Core C265

£1650

or

pioneer vs933
monitor c265 ceiling speakers
wharfdale dx2

£1679

there maybe other bits includes, but these are main bulk items...

what would you guys advise?

Glad to see you took my hukd advice to post here. As Andrew said, where are you located?

So Richer Sounds have specified you a 5.1 set-up consisting of 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, and no sub... I know they have a rep for being a bit clueless, but this takes the biscuit!! :eek:

I think he means he's been quoted for installing them as both speaker packages listed are 5.1.

Any builder handman could run cables for you. It's not a difficult job, can be messy. I'd save the £600 and do it yourself and put that towards the kit.

Yep, I agree with Harkon. I've just run some cables in my living room. Just cut a small channel across the joists and attached the cables to a thin metal fish-tape.

It was a bit of a pain but very do-able. Obviously depends on your health/ability but wasn't too difficult. Plenty of advice on YouTube about it too.

Would be an extra £600 to spend on kit? :)

ok guys, im going to get a builder to sort out the walls holes (2 front) and (2 rear mounted on corner) and help me run the cable.

i may leave the atmos setup for now... but what cables do i need to purchase? (is it cheaper to buy a reel and cut as required) or shall i get a rough estimate...

VanDamme Blue 2.5mm is good. I used this for my fronts and then some cheaper stuff (1.5mm for my rears). Many use 2.5mm for everything.

purchased vannedamme 2.5mm blue 100m reel

what connections would i need?

Last edited:
purchased vannedamme 2.5mm blue 100m reel

what connections would i need?

None to be honest. Banana plugs if you want to be able to unplug and replug with ease.

Quite a few use minx for atmos.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom