1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.0 Speaker suggestions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by AngelEyes, Aug 29, 2005.

1. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    I just purchased the .1 (SVS PB-12 Ultra) and am looking for some speakers to complement it.

I would prefer something as discreet as possible (no full size or floor standers) and have been toying with 3 x M&K MP-150 and 2 x M&K Surround-55 Tripoles. To be honest this is probably way over my budget and I need to calm it down a bit.

The idea is to replace my receiver with a Denon 3805 or hopefully an AVC-A11XW if I can afford it at the time.

If I allocate £2000 for the speakers, what would you guys suggest? Or should I wait and spend a bit more to get the most out of the AVC?

Thanks.

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The M&K speakers gets a BIG thumbs up from me, but they do require a lot of power to work there best so a Denon 3805 would definitly not do, it would have to be one of the Bigger models atleast...

3. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    Hi Recruit, I know you love your M&Ks :)

What I should have said is that I have discounted the M&K setup quoted above as it is really over the top for me at £3400. The trouble is I have been so set on this setup for such a long time I have no idea what I can get for £2k, whether it be M&K or anyone else...

Your comments on the power they need only makes me realise I need to change my speaker preferences. :(

I only really watch movies and like action / adventure / Sci-Fi the most.

4. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    As was said the 3805 would not cut it with the 150s - but as you you're trying to calm things down, why not consider the MK 850/851s. Ask around for opinions on these speakers, I've read they sound very similar to the 150s but don't get as 'loud' as them.

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It could be worth checking for S/H speakers from M&K as i have just seen a set of 3 S-150's being sold on ebay for a lot less than RRP, or else look at some other models ie the 850 range which are not that far behind the s-150's on performance and do not require as much power, i am sure that there will be other recommendations from other members ref different makes but IMO M&K do make some brilliant speakers for Home Cinema useage if that is you're preference.

Good Luck :)

John

6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    I originally considered the 850s but wasn't sure if they were suitable for wall mounting (or looked quite as nice as the MP150s). Does anyone have a link to pictures of them wall mounted?

The price tag seems much more realistic. Should I still use the Surrond 55s or will the K4s be more suitable to the 850s?

Any similar perfoming but 'prettier' speakers from another manufacturer?

Thank

7. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    The only issue there might be is the K4's performace in the 80-100 range - it seems like they're really rated down to 100hz which would 'force' you to set the crossover to 100 - this might not be such an issue with some amps/processors as they allow you to set crossover per channel pair (eg. LCR 80hz & Surrounds 100hz).

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 850's can be wallmounted but they will not look any where near as good as the new MP-150's a very neat and tidy solution with excellent sound to boot.. :)

9. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    Damn you recruit, I was just starting to move away from them...! :rotfl:

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    he he he..... :devil:

11. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I am looking to pair a 3805 with M@K LCR-35's. As my main priority is music I may go for 5, but am also considering 25's for the rears.

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mate bought my M&K 851's and he runs them with a Denon 3805 and they sound mighty fine, but i had them powered by a Yamaha Z9 and they did sound better than the Denon so i suppose more power is better than less, but that applies to most speakers... :)

13. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    Ok Recruit, I probably asked you this before but...

I will probably opt for the 850s at the front to save a bit of cash. The column surrounds seem a good option for the rears as our sofa will only be around a 2 feet from the back wall and they are nice and discreet. The room is roughly 5m wide by 6m long.

1. Would adding extra 2 wall mounted speakers for 7.1 really make much difference, or do you think the columns are good enough without the 7.1 config?

2. Would something like the 3805 have enough power for the columns?

3. When wall mounting left and right surrounds in a 7.1 config, should they be at ear level? Seems a bit intrusive in the room.

Thankee Sai

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Angeleyes - The 850's are very good speakers and tbh not that far away in performance terms to my new S-150's and IMO for home cinema M&K speakers are some of the best around.

Ref to the Columnn surrounds they are superb and probably one of the best buy's i have made and will stay with me for some time to come, i don't know if the Denon will drive them properly though as they have approx 5 drive units each built in and i would of thought that it will definitly strain the amp, my friend has the M&K K4 surrounds with his setup and it sounds very good indeed so may be worth looking at them if you decide on the 3805, if you go for a higher specd amp then definitly look at the Columnn's.

I do think that you need to have a good listen to the speakers 1st as not everyone likes the M&K sound and if they are put in a bright sounding room it will only enhance this further as they are extremely detailed in there presentation, so try and get to dem them if possible at a good dealership.

Cheers
    John

15. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    Thanks John,

One thing that has been bugging me is the idea of spending a lot on a 7.1 and having columns as the rears. If I understand things the two rears are just pumping out the same 'mono' rear output. This makes spending all that money on the rear channel seem a bit over the top.

Would I be better off with K4 rears and columns on the left and right surround channels where they get a true individual channel?

I am getting a bit lost here :(

PS... tick, tock, 24hrs to SVS arrival!! :D

16. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you did opt for the Columns then IMO you would not need to go for 7.1 as they really are that good, but if you opt for the K4's then it could be worth it, but it also does depend on the size of you're room.

Decissions Decissions :rolleyes:

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    AngelEyes

Your either going to have to reign in your 'wish list' or splash the cash on that M&K 150 system you hanker after :)

Though even suggesting you start with 3 x MP-150 (UK SRP £2,625.00) is going to blow your £2K budget and that AVR-3805 is definitely not an ideal partner for the 150's.

I guess you have to decide where your aiming the system at - if its a set-up incorporating the M&K S150 then your going to have to shift that budget ever higher; and how long are you willing to take to achieve what your after.

With £2-3K to spend now you may be better considering a decent Processor/Power amp combination in preparation for adding in M&K loudspeakers at a later date.

If that's out of the question then aim lower down the loudspeaker ladder - the M&K LCR-851 plus Surround 55 is obviously an option (UK SRP £2,220.00); though again they will benefit from decent Processing and Amplification.

You could also consider something like the Atlantic Technology THX Select 4200LR, 4200C and 4200SR set-up (UK SRP 2,280.00) - if they are deemed 'discreet' enough for you. These are less 'demanding' in terms of Amplification.

Where your stretching your budget so much I'd tend to concentrate on getting the best 5:1 system you can afford for now and revisit the extra two channels for 7:1 at a later date.

As recruit says - Decisions, Decisions... or should it be Expensive Decisions, Expensive Decisions...

Regards

Joe

18. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitly some good advice there Joe... :)

19. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    Hi Joe,

I hear what you are saying and I'll take a look at those Atlantic Technology speakers you mentioned. I agree, a good 5.1 makes more sense for me right now.

I suppose I then have a whole choice of Amp / Receivers at the £2-3k mark... another minefield.

I'll have to give this some thought and really try and tie down my budget, otherwise I won't get anywhere.

My biggest issue right now is that there seems to be a lot of new technologies buzzing around with receivers with regards to hdmi switching and upscaling etc. I just fear getting one now may mean the projector I buy in a year or so will require some new widget (1080p?) that isn't available now...

I guess that is the nature of the game though :)