• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

5.0 / 6.0 / 7.0 Speakers - upgrading

RoughRider

Hi

I enjoy reading the forums, I feel slightly guilty as haven't had a lot to contribute but I am very grateful for anyone's suggestions for my question.

As you can see I have an easy upgrade path open to me - my speakers. What makes it harder is that I don't need a new sub and I quite like my mains, so a new “5.1” set doesn't appeal.

Amp Yamaha AX1, soon to be Onkyo 875 or 905
Source Denon 1930, PS3
Sub SVS 20-39 PC Plus
Mains B&W DM 603 S2

Centre B&W CC6
Surrounds Canon S-35 (funny old mushroom things from the mid 90's)
Rear a floorstander I found in the roof when I moved in

Considerations
I think I should keep the DM 603's
In terms of configurations my strongest preference is 6.1, then 7.1 (less convenient)
Budget is flexible - it's a good sized room that I get to listen in at a decent volume
Something tells me the centre might be a good place for a good chunk of my budget as it's for all the sound, not just “effects”
I'm not sure of dipole / bipole / “directional” i.e. traditional stereo speaker pros and cons - and what about the #6 (rear) speaker? All surround material is movies and games only.

Ideas
Buy some new B&W's for the rest of the room e.g. LCR 60 / 600, 3 (second hand?) 601's / 2's for better surrounds + rear(s)
Chuck it all out and buy; M&K sats
Chuck it all out and buy; Blue Sky 6.5's (buyitnow £343 each for the series I's !!! But - need plugs so might not happen, also how do use as centre with a plasma)

Question to forumites
What would you do?
Another is - I could fit floorstanders in place for both surrounds and the rear and 603's are quite easy to find on ebay - but would this be pointless (see above re dipoles) or awesome?

My best tip / contribution (thanks in advance)
Get an SVS sub. Just do it. :devil:

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
You could buy the rest of the B&W package, but there's no real need for speakers that large in a home cinema system. Dedicated home cinema speakers like M&K can easily match the ouput of large hi-fi speakers even in larger rooms.

Seeing as you're movie and game orientated, go for the M&K's to use with your sub. We'd definitely recommend going for the 905 as this will do everything you shoud ever need it to, and with that we'd look to add something like the LCR750 setup. These are more than powerful enough for any room when partnered with a decent sub. Their dynamics and detail are amazing, and will leave the B&W 600 series gasping for breath.

A centre rear should be considered if your room is very large or your rear speakers are quite far apart. M&K's tripole surrounds are ideally designed to be used on the side walls to recreate a cinema as they generally use speakers all along the side walls. Direct speakers tend to be more pinpoint with their presentation, but are prone to their location being 'detected'. They also act like stereo hi-fi speakers, so they have a hotspot. Because the tripoles fire in 3 directions, they produce a much wider soundfield and are harder to locate. Some people say that their more diffuse surround presentation tends to 'blur' pinpoint effects, but I've never found that with mine, I find them suprisingly accurate. The 55S surrounds are the ideal match for the 750's.

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
Some people say that their more diffuse surround presentation tends to 'blur' pinpoint effects, but I've never found that with mine, I find them suprisingly accurate.
I agree. With the forward firing side driver being in phase with the front speakers, I've found you can get almost holographic imaging of effects high up and wide out left/right whilst the tripoles barely reveal their position.

The hard wooden banging on the deck above in Master in Commander (as they beat to arms) during the first battle is an excellent example of this ability. It's still makes me giggle like an idiot and that's just with the little Xenons.

Russell

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
I agree. With the forward firing side driver being in phase with the front speakers, I've found you can get almost holographic imaging of effects high up and wide out left/right whilst the tripoles barely reveal their position.

The hard wooden banging on the deck above in Master in Commander (as they beat to arms) during the first battle is an excellent example of this ability. It's still makes me giggle like an idiot and that's just with the little Xenons.

Russell
I know exactly what you mean - i'm hard to impress, but the first time i used tripoles i was watching a Japanese horror film (which at the time i wasn't used to and they're a different style to western ones) and someone started banging on a door at the back of the soundstage, and that really made me jump - it really sounded like it was in the room and it was more convincing because it seemed to come from about 15 feet off centre behind me :)

Because the M&K's are satellite speakers and have a more 'leaner' sound, effects like that i think sound more convincing on the M&K's because they reveal more detail. Hi-fi speakers present things more politely with more mid/bass which clouds that sort of detail.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom