4x2 HDMI Matrix with IR Optical Audio Streams Question

Drummermandan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry I am new to this forum and could not find a definitive answer by searching.

Anyway, I have literally just purchased the HDanywhere 4x2 HDMI Matrix (4x2 HDMI Matrix with IR - Buy online from HD Connectivity) online yesterday so I have not actually got it yet. After buying it I have been thinking whether or not it is going to work for my needs :confused:.

My aim is to connect a Virgin TiVo box, Xbox 360, and PS3 via HDMI to an LGLM670T TV (which I am going to be buying shortly!) and also have these sources connected to a Dell U2711 monitor.

What I want to do is via the opical output on the HDMI matrix, is be able to passthrough 5.1 surround sound (DTS, DD) to my Logitech Z5500 speakers. I know the LG TV has an optical output but I have read that it does not passthrough DTS streams.

I realise that the Dell U2711 monitor cannot accept DD or DTS sound (only PCM 5.1) so my question is, does the 4x2 matrix have an audio select button/option? Can 5.1 (DD, DTS), 5.1 (PCM) and 2.0 streams be selected depending on which display I am using, or does it simply depend on the source?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Dan.

Hi Dan,

A HDMI source can only output one type of audio at once. The settings on the source will either force the type of output to one particular type or automatic will pay attention to the EDID information it collects from the devices it is connected to.

The 4x2 matrix audio outputs take their audio feed from the source going to output 1. If this signal is 5.1, the left and right phono outputs have the left and right part of the 5.1 signal on them. If the signal is stereo from the source, then both optical and phono carry the stereo channels.

It will be worth reading up about EDID, as the HDMI sources will output audio depending on the EDID they pick up from the display you are using.

As you can't get 5.1 and stereo from a source at once, if the source starts outputting 5.1, the stereo capable display will not play any audio.

This is a HDMI limitation, not a source, matrix or display limitation.

I hope that helps.

Many Thanks,

Jamie

Thanks for the reply Jamie, your explanation has helped. I will definitely read up in more detail about EDID.

Just another couple of questions.

So you are saying that if I was playing a PS3 game that has a DTS stream and the LG TV was connected to output 1 of the matrix splitter, the sound from the optical should output as DTS? Would you have to select an option on the LG TV to cause the audio to strip to DTS as the TV has speakers (2.0 stream)?

Also, if that was the case and DTS sound was selected, then if I wanted to simultaneously watch the PS3 video on the Dell U2711 on Output 2, I assume the audio would not work as this does not allow DTS? Or would it just downgrade the audio to 2.0 or 5.1 PCM instead for both outputs and optical?

The only reason why I asked in my previous post if there was an audio switch on the HDanywhere matrix was that I tried an alternative brand of 4x2 matrix that did (Leicke KanaaN was the brand), but the audio did not work for the PS3 properly so I sent it back. Plus the audio selection was very clunky and random, and I wanted a matrix splitter that is future proofed for 3D (by having HDMI ver. 1.4).

Anyway sorry for all of the questions.

Cheers.

Dan.

For PS3 you can set the HDMI output to 2.0 then use the optical output to get 5.1 / DTS from your AV amp
Due to old AV amp that's not got HDMI inputs that is the configuration that I am currently using. This should preserve your audio on both displays.

The Optical Out on the Matrix is not ideal where you are trying to switch multiple 5.1 Sources to an AVR where your Sink (TV) is 'limited' to Video + 2.0 'stereo' Audio via HDMI!

Do you have enough Optical (or Coaxial) Inputs on the AVR to allow you to run an Optical or Coaxial from each Source direct to the AVR?

Joe

Hey Joe,

Thanks for the info. I have got the matrix and TV now and have had a little chance to work out how to get all these devices to work.

My AV device unfortunately only has one optical input and one coaxial input as it is an old piece of kit. I will probably purchase an optical splitter to solve this issue.

I have one last question though. With my current setup, when I use the PS3 and play a game it seems to output DTS sound to the AV device (only when the new TV is selected that is) via the optical out on the matrix. However, when I play a blu ray which has DTS-MA it is unable to select the DTS stream. I realise my device does not support master audio, but if I use the optical out on the PS3 instead it will select the "lossy DTS audio" when I play the same blu ray. Just wondered why this is the case. Obviously if I buy an optical splitter this issue will be resolved also.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions!

Dan.

The PS3 is ignoring the EDID its receiving from your Display device – if you are lucky the BD Player may do the same, try manually setting the BD player to DTS not DTS-MA!

Joe

PS You will want an Optical Switch not a ‘Splitter’ (Distribution Amp).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom