4th Sky+ box since August

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by nictry, Mar 9, 2006.

1. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    OK just want to have a rant really, my other half got home today and found Sky+ box switched off with red light showing, she pushed the button and the whole house fused :eek:

Anyway after switching the fuse box back on the box was showing red light so she unplugged it and left it a few mins then plugged back in (not sure the best idea but 3 kids desparate for CBBC!) anyway l;eft a minute after plugging in whirring noise from HDD and then the green light came on when she hit the button but................... no picture and no sound (scart and optical) so off again and leave and guess what no picture or sound. This from a PVR3 with only 3 weeks usage (the last box a PVR2 with approx 2 months use blew up completely after the last EPG update!)

ANyway rung Sky and some snotty little bloke tells me if I am not ringing from where the box is he will send an engineer out but will cost me £65 as they need to run through a series of checks first and I have to be with the box to do this. I suggested that as I had 5 whole days waiting for engineers to fix all the prev replacements I would like to charge them £65 for each visit to which he thanked me for calling and hung up :eek: (I would like to add despite my annoyance I had remained polite and courteous throughout the call!)

Anyway rung back and actuall ygot put through to a manager who has arranged yet another call for Saturday, he even said I would get a new box (WOW I am so impressed bearing in mind my current box was a brand new PVR3 and has died in less than a month!)

How I hate Sky and their crappy equipment, any other bit of kit that died 4 times in 7 months you would tell the retailer to shove it and buy something else but in this case no choice, I am still in contract and there is nothing I can do other than suffer yet another day in waiting for yet another engineer visit and yet another box. :mad:

Oh well rant over, don't suppose anyone would suggest whether asking for something other than a thomson box would be a good idea?

2. The_Nevster

The_Nevster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fourth box since August?! Crikey! I thought I'd done well with four Sky+ boxes within the space of a year!!

My current box is a "reconditioned" unit because the warranty had run out. Ironically it has so far been the best performing box!

Everyone I know thinks that Sky+ is absolute genius, it's just a pity that the hardware is so damn unreliable. I understand your frustrations!!

3. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    And the irony is that the first one was supposed to be a recon but they had run out so I got a new one (PVR2) and so the saga continued, 4 weeks ago they gave me a shiny new PVR3 becuase they didn't want to risk another PVR2 with the latest software problems and hey presto another knackered box!

What really bugs me is mys on has a PVR3 in his room which I got around Oct last year and he's never had a single problem!

4. MrG69

MrG69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have my empathy! I had two Sky+ (Amstrad) boxes installed in December. What a nightmare, both had different problems, the one downstairs had the sound dropout and upstairs refused to switch off every 2 days and had to be rebooted. Downstairs was replaced with a Pace box that failed after 2 hours : Luckily Sky said straight away I needed another new one as it displayed a system fault message and wouldn't do anything at all (I was hoping for more luck with Pace). The engineer has given me my third box (another Amstrad) and it has exactly the same problems as the first. Back to square one, its almost unwatchable.

Upstairs has been replaced with a Thomson. Again hoping for a better experience, it has sound drop, is built like an Airfix kit and has the noisiest hard drive I have ever heard.

I am so fed up I am thinking of asking them to take it out and going back to my Sony HDD; which never misses a beat. Trouble is, it would be so good if it worked properly! There is nothing wrong with my signal, aerial, or reception when not recording.The quality control on these boxes reminds me of the worst days of the 1970's! I am so fed up I cannot even face ringing Sky again!

5. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    Well engineer just turned up with a new Pace V3 box, didn't even check the Thomson just swapped them over (1st thing I noticed was how you couldn't even hear the Pace whereas the Thomson sounded like a steam train all the time!!) anyway seems to be working ok after 2 days. One thing peed me off though which was the engineer broke my opt lead from the Sat box to the Amp and didn't tell me so had to leg it down to the local electrical shop and pay way over the odds just to get a cheap and nasty lead so we had sound with the picture :mad:

Still lets see how long this one lasts :rolleyes:

6. MrG69

MrG69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck!

7. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Love it. Engineer indeed!

Sky pay such personnel £7.50 for each so-called 'service' call (regardless of the time involved). You don't get an engineer ("a person who uses scientific knowledge to solve practical problems") for that sort of money.

8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must be in the minority here...my Sky+ box V1 that I brought the month Sky+ started finally gave up the ghost after the last software update 9the one where the channle numbers changed...). It got confused and kept failing on recordings...I have paid for an extended warranty for the last 4 years and was just going to cancel it as well...
    The guy came round and said by rights, i should receive a like for like box and that he would be back the next day to change it. I managed to sweet talk him into giving me a brand new Pace V3 box...though now I'm not so sure it was a good idea...:rolleyes:

Out of interest, does the V3 box have a bigger HDD than the V1 or 2? The recordings appear to take up less space. An hour long programme used to take up 7%, but is now only taking 5%...

9. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    It is apparantly the 160gb HDD although partitioned so that you only get 80gb (not sure if this can be 'fixed' to give the full 160gb???) so yes it is bigger and better than your V1 box assuming it actually works and you get to view anything you have recorded :(

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    FWIW I am am now waiting for what will be my second Sky+160 box since installation 8 mths ago,during which time we've had the DD stuttering sound bug,the random lockups and also intermittent signal lock failures despite the signal strength always being well above 80%(and the other Sky+ box working perfectly).

The current 160 turned up its toes on Saturday and has refused to come out of standby despite several reboots and a software download courtesy of Sky.

Hopefully replaced on Thursday this week......

11. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - I might take it out and have a look...you should be able to unpartition it using XP I would imagine...

12. pmassey1

pmassey1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what time on Sat. mine did exactly the same