4th Ae100 (Mad or what)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Splice, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, popped over (100 miles) to pick up my fourth Panasonic ae100 Thanks Mathew at AV Sales. Anyhow after having three that either died or developed severe lamp flicker, i had decided to wait and monitor the forums to see if there was a trend forming. Anyway after looking at a blank screen for so long, i finally decided to get one today June 2002 model. Its been on for around 6 hours now and flicker free so far. However i Am running in high lamp mode, i intend to keep it there for around 40 to 50 hours and then switch the lamp to low life. All three previous machines were run in low life, i am starting to think that maybe they dont burn in properly under those conditions. so we will see how we go, has anyone seen lamp flicker on there ae100 in high mode as I couldn't find anyone either here or in the states that has.
    Just for the record when i turn it off at night i shut it down properly and then turn of the switch once the fan is off. A lot of people turn them off on the remote and leave them in standby, the reason i am reluctant to do it this way is because a couple of years ago i had an amp that i used to do this with,and when it blew up i was told it was not good for it to be left in standby,as there are still stresses put on some of the circuits. how true that is, i don't know. Any one have any thoughts on this.

All The best.Splice :D

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't got mine yet but had pretty much decided to run it in high lamp mode initially anyway. 2000 hours is still pretty good, I'm only going to use it for watching DVDs anyway, which will probably work out to about 800 complete films hopefully.

Maybe the projector should be powered up in high mode and then switch to low after around ten minutes? Just an idea.

3. Feersum enjinn

Feersum enjinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn! your 4th Panny!

I just got my new one (May 2002 model). Its my first one. Ive only used 16 hours in low mode so far.

I am very concerned about this pj at the moment. I just have my fingers crossed and hope it will be okay.

BTW has anyone had a Panny for a while that does still work perfectly?? and is there an official statement form Panasonic about these projectors?

Anyway, besides this risk - the performance and evrything else i am very pleased with.

4. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i am waiting on my replacement panny at the moment my first one had to be replaced due to the coating coming off of the bulb and getting on to the lcd and causing splodges which would not go away, i am using a loan panny ptae given to me by panasonic which is a feb model it has a couple of dead pixels which are hardly noticeable but i am upto about 120 hrs on the loan unit on low lamp mode the projector is ceiling mountted and switched off at the mains every night

5. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have followed the Panasonic AE100 saga for some time now and am still amazed. Why would you want to except your four replacement machine. There has got to be some problem/design fault. It might work for several months then die again. What happens when the warranty runs out and it fails on you. Get rid of it and buy another model from either panasonic or another manufacturer. The arguement, it is excellent value for money, simply holds not water anymore, espcially with this failure rate. Still their will always be people that will not face up to the fact that occationally manufacturers produce duff machines. I have used one of these machines, and yes they look great and are value for money, but at what price?
    Mark

6. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Splice,

I would be wary of constantly switching your panny on & off directly.

Dependent upon the design (assuming PCB based), I was told by an engineer in Arcam that most electronic systems benefit from being left in standby. This apparently is because of the temperature loading on the PCB's.

(ie, contraction occurs when the metal or contact is cooling when turned off & expansion occurs when it is turned on thus placing micro stresses on the architecture) Hence on a good design (I'm assuming the Panny is), you may benefit greatly from leaving it in standby and maintaining a constant internal environment.

Certainly Tag McLaren advocate this and suggest that their AV32R is only turned off directly/manually when the unit isn't going to be used for a long period.

Hope this helps:)

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll find that from off (either fully, or in standby) to on, there is a HUGE temperature increase inside this unit.

Temps inside the unit easily hit over 100 deg C (never had to find the little degree symbol on my keyboard B4 :D - anyone know how to get it?), when the bulb is running for a while.

I think people are getting a little paranoid with this issue.

The problem is with the PSU, & most definately the bulb driver circuit.

When the bulb is initiated, it has a very low resistance (most anyway), & this is when the PSU seems to fail (a microwave's transformer is momentarily @ 1 ohm during startup, basically a short circuit, kinda similiar to the PJ - well no, but it may clarify my point).

Leave in standby, switch off at the back, it's really up to you, but I would definately say this is having no bearing on the failure.

Same for high V low modes.

If it's going to fail, it will.

I understand all the concern though, but be sensible. Use it as intended.

And above all - :D :D :D ENJOY IT :D :D :D

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Yes, major paranoia around this subject !

I think I will begin consulting with Mystic Meg on this one...

On/Off switch or Standby. Well if you were not meant to use one or the other both the options wouldn't be there to begin with would they ?

It makes no difference to the machine as far as this fault goes. I think you would have more luck placing voodoo dolls around it.

But seriously, it hasn't been long when everyone was so concerned about the date label on there machine. Thinking that if they got one dated post May 2002 that they were alright as they had been promised it was the new rectified batches coming through.

It sounds like a lot of people are looking for some sort of comfort factor.

Best advice is to use, use, use this machine, start clocking up some serious hours on it and enjoy it.

9. stan_toopee

stan_toopee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interesting thread this one!
    my panny is a Dec 2001 model i think, and currently has about 200 hours on it. i used to have this flicker problem that started about 10 mins into viewing but this seems to have stopped now, perhaps it's due to the bulb burning in (always used low power mode)
    i've started to leave the pj in standby, think this will be a personal choice thing until a definitive answer comes along.
    i'm now using a rgb to s-vid converter with a pro-v waiting to be installed. it seems all these tweaks to improve pq cost as much as the pj itself.
    starting to enjoy watching the films rather than looking for faults now.

10. Feersum enjinn

Feersum enjinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    * makes projector voodoo doll using empty tissue box and empty toilet roll tube *

* sticks in some needles *

11. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I must live in a far of fantasy land where everything is sweetness and light. Mine must be the reality and yours a fantasy. If I had just purchased a projector, that even remotely had the possibility of blowing up if I turned it on and off a few times I would be a little unhappy. This projector must have an inherent design fault. Stating that maybe it fails because it is turned on and off to many times is mad.
    Mark