• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question 4TB WD drive struggling to play files yet USB stick perfect

BritanniaJaf

Guys,

I got a 4TB WD external hard drive to play films via my Boxee Box media player.

I'm not 100% the drive is working correctly, it starts to play films (MKVs etc) with no issues but if I pause the film, when i start it again, it loses sound and the picture jumps, takes around 10 secs to get back to normal, yet I tried another film on my 128GB USB stick, paused and played instantly, no issues at all. I have had had 2TB and 3TB drives and they haven't done this before.

Any ideas.

Thanks

MacrosTheBlack

Could be the file format of the drive? NTFS? See what format your other external hard drives were using.

HDD's, especially larger capacity, have much slower access times than USB sticks so that is also a factor. Often they have energy saving features that may slow down access times too. So if you're pausing and the drives spinning down, it has to spin up and re-sync to get going again. This coupled with the fact that MKV files are often heavily compressed could be the problem. Sometimes there are tools from the manufacturer to turn energy saving features off.

Adding and Using an External USB Drive

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom