Wanted 4TB HDD(s)

Discussion in 'Archived Classifieds' started by lmao2k, Jun 28, 2015.

1. lmao2k

lmao2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi,

Looking for at least 1 x 4TB HDD. Ideally I would like Hitachi, but may consider WD or Toshiba. I don't mind if the unit was originally inside an external.

@ad-d I seem to remember you possibly had some to offer, but can't find the thread.

Cheers

Please be advised, all buyers and sellers should satisfy themselves that the other party is genuine by providing the following via private conversation to each other after negotiations are complete and prior to dispatching goods and making payment:

• Landline telephone number. Make a call to check out the area code and number are correct, too
    • Name and address including postcode
    • Valid e-mail address
    DO NOT proceed with a deal until you are completely satisfied with all details being correct. It's in your best interest to check out these details yourself.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. lmao2k

lmao2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Bump

3. ad-d

ad-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I do but never found the time to list them for sale! Let me know how many drives you were after, I have a few 4TB Hitachi bare drives and some Hitachi USB3 4TB versions as well - was going to put them on ebay where they seem to be fetching good prices but would be a lot less hassle to sell here and would be nice if they went to an avforums home :)

4. beefybarn

beefybarn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well if you list some I might be interested in one.

5. ad-d

ad-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    ok, will see how many lmao2k wants and offer him first choice of course but I do have quite a few of these. May take a little while to get them out of the server though as they're full of data and data needs to be transferred across to a new drive. Obviously if I know there's serious interest in the 4TB drives this will become a high priority and get done ASAP, otherwise I have a lot of other important jobs that need doing and clearing them may get left a while - basically if there's a deal agreed I'll clear them ASAP but not much chance of me finding time to clear them just on the off chance someone may buy them in the future :)

Ps the bare drives were fitted into my server but server is only really used for offline storage of bluray rips etc, powered down for 99% of the time. Most (possibly all, can't remember would need to check) of these drives were bought new by me so likely to have quite low usage times, server has drivepool and stablebit scanner installed so I know health of all 4TB drives is good and no bad sectors.
    The USB3 4TB drives were bought for expansion (server has 2x USB3 ports) but now I've filled the server I think I'd rather just buy bigger drives and not have external drives attached, these drives were not bought new but had a full hdtune sector scan when purchased over a year ago (pass of course) and just sat in a box waiting ever since, not sure how much use these have had overall but almost nothing since I bought them.

Internal bare drives will be removed in the order of which has the least amount of data on it to clear, I'll try and have a look for duplicate files/no longer needed data etc that I can delete pre removal which should hopefully speed up the data transfer process but that means I probably can't give an idea of exactly what drive is going to be removed for sale until it's actually being removed - shouldn't be a problem though, as I said all drives are fully working condition with no bad sectors etc.

Any questions let me know of course

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  6. lmao2k

lmao2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi,

Sorry currently working a double back to back shift, so replies between now and end of today (Thursday) will be a bit sparse.

Very similar to you, these would be used for offline storage. I would then be migrating the 3TBs out to 3 different Microservers.

I would be looking for 3 drives, maybe 4 depending on what sort of price we can agree. The last lot of 3 I purchased from here came to £193 delivered (For Sale - 4TB HDDs, HP Microservers, ECC RAM, Intel NICs, Switches, GPU, SSD, Slimline BD | AVForums)

What sort of price did you have in mind?

7. lmao2k

lmao2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Bump

8. ad-d

ad-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    hi, sorry had a lot on myself yesterday so didn't have a chance to get back to you. I was looking for a little more than that but not too much over, could do 3x 4TB hitachi bare drives for £210 inc insured courier postage, alternatively if you do want all four 4TB hitachi bare drives I could do the last disk for an extra £60 (£270 inc insured courier postage). These drives seem to be really desirable all of a sudden for some reason, have seen some of these bare drives going for near £85 elsewhere and £95 for the USB3 versions so it seems like a good time to upgrade, I think my prices are quite fair to be honest given that. I'm going to try and forget that I paid over £100 more for most of these drives but that's technology depreciation I guess! (certainly paid over £200 for the first one I bought :( ). I remembered one of them was bought used from somewhere and has a much higher 'power on hours count' than the others but even that one would have a much lower 'power on hours count' than the other 3 you bought that had been on 24/7 for 3 years. The drive with by far the most use has done 7064 hours - over 800 days less use than the others you bought that had been on 24/7 for 3 years, the lowest use disk has only done 1159 hours which is just over 48 days or a massive 1046 days less than a 3 year 24/7 disk. Another disk has only had a fraction more use (1170 hours) and the 4th disk has 2125 hours (still only 88.5 days). Given these have had so much less use than the other disks I think that justifies the slight extra I'm asking.
    Ps I deleted a few duplicate files last night and the disk with the least amount of data on it is now the 7064 hours disk (makes sense, it was the last disk added and where any duplicates were likely to be). I set that disk to remove when I went to work, and trying one of these 8TB shingled drives as the replacement. If anything goes horribly wrong with the transfer due to the nature of these odd 'archive' disks I'll need to keep the 4TBs but that's highly unlikely, had been running fine for 30mins or so before I left, will know for sure when I get home if it completed OK.

9. lmao2k

lmao2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I don't even want to look how much I paid for a few of mine new! They are just very reliable drives.

Your price is very fair and so will take 4 drives at £270 delivered

10. ad-d

ad-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    hi, yes they're very reliable, some of the best drives I've ever owned and much better than the 6TB red I bought, really don't want to sell them but really don't want any external drives hanging off the server either so need bigger disks. Think I'll regret selling these, just hope those odd shingled drives work out OK! When I get home I'll be able to see if the drive removal has gone ok, some of the shingled drive reviews seem to indicate the performance drops to a crawl after copying a fair bit of data, if this has somehow screwed up the drive removal I'll have to rethink the sale but otherwise if removal has worked then sale agreed. I meant to offer a £5 discount on the 4th drive but looks like it was £10 in the end, doing too many things at once so you got an even better deal :)
    I'll send you a message later tonight when I've seen how the drive removal went/payment details etc, might take a little while to clear all the data off these but I'll do so ASAP. Due to various house work on the go my room is the only dust free area so that's where the server currently is, given the hot weather, extra heat the server generates and noise I can't really leave it running overnight but will keep it running during the day. Will keep you updated on progress. Thanks

11. ad-d

ad-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    hi, looks like lmao2k will be taking all 4 of the bare internal drives all being well, I do still have 2 of the USB3 versions though (same drive inside and fairly easy to break open if you really did want bare drives). If interested in the USB3 versions let me know and how many (still 1?) so I can price for you. thanks

12. lmao2k

lmao2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Sounds good to me.

13. beefybarn

beefybarn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yeah interested in one if the price is right :D

14. ad-d

ad-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    hi, well from what I've seen the USB3 versions seem to be selling for a bit more than bare drives and postage costs eat a bigger chunk when only sending single drives, I'll stick to £80 inc postage on this if you want one? A little less than I think I'd get elsewhere but less hassle selling here. If you decided you wanted both could knock £5 off the total. Easy enough to crack these open if you wanted bare drives and then you have a USB3 enclosure to use with something else as a bonus. thanks

15. lmao2k

lmao2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Deal concluded :thumbsup: