4S Overheating & Shutting Down Using Dashcam

malford

Established Member
Reaction score
iPhone 4s 32Gb
Firmware Version 5.1 (9B179)

Can anyone advise?
I am experiencing overheat temperature warnings and shut-down when using a dashcam app called "Witness-Driver"

If I use the app first thing in the morning fully charged and connected to an incar charger I have no problems and apart from the phone being warm to touch on arrival at work everything is ok.

If I use the app when driving home from work at say 32% battery remaining and connected to a incar charger the 4S shuts down after approximately 12 minutes of use. The phone is hot to touch and briefly displays a yellow triangle and text saying "iPhone needs to cool down before you can use it"

The app is running at its maximum settings

Video segment length 6 minutes
Number of videos segments 10
Video quality 1080

So my question is can this be a failing battery and ultimately will this fry my iPhone and if so can I claim under the warranty if it does damage my handset?

The app is approved by Apple and being used in accordance with the instructions...

I experience over-heating of my iPhone 4S 16GB when coming home from work. Making calls and using TomTom App for the full 1 hour journey home. But it has never shut down because of the heating.

::: Update :::

I have lowered the settings to 720p and still the temperature warning flashes on the screen after 10 minutes of use with the incar charger attached...

Anyone else having issues running Witness-Driver for iPhone?

My phone gets very hot when using TomTom on the car charger but has never overheated. So it sounds like there is a fault with the charging circuitry &/or battery in your iPhone. I would take it into an Apple Store & get it swapped under warranty.

BTW Thanks for the heads-up on a neat application.

::: Update :::

I can now rule out the incar charger as the source of the overheating as today my 4S overheated after about 18 minutes using the witness-driver app.

Called o2 and explained problem and they have told me to exchange the phone tomorrow at my nearest Apple store...

Will keep you updated with the replacement handset..

App Store - Witness Driving

http://youtu.be/gV9ZgCs1yZA?hd=1

Last edited:
Is it only this App that's causing it?

Good point... it may just be the app that is cranking everything to the max :blush:
The phone works perfectly under normal usage :confused:

Edit:

My fault logs show 14 crashes using this app since 07-04-2012

Thermal Level: 12
Thermal Sensors: 5301 4359 5212 5261 5747

Last edited:
So there's your answer. Poorly coded App by the sounds of it.

you can get a fully featured dedicated hardware dashcam for 40 quid - why clutter your phone with junk?

Thanks for your reply to a 2 year old post :)

Have since purchased a dedicated DOD LS430W dashcam

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom