Question 4Music on Freesat

oldmanhouse

I've lost a couple of channels from Freeview due to a recent re-tune, and am looking at Freesat as an alternative. Would anyone be so kind as to check if 4Music is available via Freesat (or 'Freesat from Sky'), please?

I believe it might have been removed recently due to the Freesat/4 HD dispute, although it hasn't been officially recognised.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I've lost a couple of channels from Freeview due to a recent re-tune, and am looking at Freesat as an alternative. Would anyone be so kind as to check if 4Music is available via Freesat (or 'Freesat from Sky'), please?

I believe it might have been removed recently due to the Freesat/4 HD dispute, although it hasn't been officially recognised.
Only available on lcn 139 on a Sky Box.

You can stream it to a PC (poor pictures)

oldmanhouse

Only available on lcn 139 on a Sky Box.

You can stream it to a PC (poor pictures)

Thanks. Seems like it was available on Freesat in the past (4Music launches on Freesat), but seemingly no longer.

Lots of out of date information out there about it being FTA, but I believe it's FTV so if it's not on Freesat then that means an old Sky Box and a 'Freesat from Sky' viewing card

oldmanhouse

Consider sorting out / improving your UHF TV aerial system?
Yep, that's looking to be something to investigate. A previous owner of the house has already gone down this route to some extent as we have a very large aerial mounted to the outside of the house. Size clearly isn't everything! Unfortunately access to the aerial is now very difficult (read: costly) due to needing scaffolding.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Seems like it was available on Freesat in the past (4Music launches on Freesat), but seemingly no longer.

Lots of out of date information out there about it being FTA, but I believe it's FTV so if it's not on Freesat then that means an old Sky Box and a 'Freesat from Sky' viewing card
It was added 9th Feb 2017

Channels deleted 509 The Box 12304 H and 609 Tiny Pop + 1 11306 V, Channels added 509 4Music 10714 H and 609 POP MAX 11306 V

And deleted

31st January 2018

Channels deleted 508 Kiss 12304 H 509 4Music 10714 H and 510 Magic 12304 H

SeeMoreDigital

4music is still broadcast via 28.2E (11264.00 | H | 27500 | 2/3) but it's no longer FTA...

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
we have a very large aerial mounted to the outside of the house. Size clearly isn't everything!
Unfortunately access to the aerial is now very difficult (read: costly) due to needing scaffolding.
To advise we need to know more.

Location? For transmitter used and to use the prediction tools from Freeview and Wolfbane. 4 Music moved from COM 6 (aka Arqiva B) to COM 5 (Arqiva A) on 13th May... but it's unusual to not receive both in any specific location. (Approx: give postcode of a shop, pub, church etc.,. nearby)

Elfin safety means some installer companies will require scaffold but others may still be able to safely use alternative means of access? That's IF the aerial needs attention/replacement.

First thing to do - always - is to go over the (accessible) aerial cables and connectors with a fine toothed comb. Replace or remake any suspect fly leads or aerial plugs. Lots of issues are down to dodgy connections.