4MP IP Cameras Vs. 8MP CCTV Cameras?

benkyearn

Novice Member
I'm new here. I googled this question and I understand that IP cameras have higher fps so it has a smoother video, ....etc. But when it comes to zooming in, I read that IP cameras are better. Why is that? They have lower resolution (lower MegaPixels). In my country, the max available IP camera are 4 MP and the max available CCTV cameras are 8 MP. Is IP camera still clearer? and Why?

Seb Briggs

Not sure who you have spoken to but most of that is incorrect

there are IP cameras up to 12mp

an ip camera is a cctv camera so not sure if you mean a AHD camera versus a IP camera

benkyearn

Novice Member
Not sure who you have spoken to but most of that is incorrect

there are IP cameras up to 12mp

an ip camera is a cctv camera so not sure if you mean a AHD camera versus a IP camera
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I would like to compare between cameras that are connected to DVR using BNC cable (maybe it's called AHD) Vs. IP cameras.
I understand that IP cameras are up to 12 MP but I asked some shops near my house and they said the available options are 4 MP for IP cameras and 8 MP for AHD cameras. So, at least, for me or in my area, those are the available options. Which one should I choose? How much does the size of the lens affect (like 2.8mm or 3.6mm or variable like up to 12mm)?

Seb Briggs

That seems the wrong way round, normally AHD resolution stops at 4/5MP whereas IP cameras go up to 12MP and 8MP

Lens focal length in a basic manner affects the size of the area covered or field of view

1623414514265.png

oneman

AHD is a encoding method to send signal over analogue coax cable, the one with BNC connectors and there are some other options like TVI. It doesn't mean that its better or worse than a IP camera. There are some 8mp AHD cameras advertised but I have no idea how good they are.

Don't know why there is a 4mp limit on IP cameras in your country but IP cameras are commonly available in higher resolutions in UK at least. If you switch to IP cameras then you cabling will need to be changed to Ethernet and possibly your recorder unless it accepts IP cameras.

However please do not mistake higher mp value for being better 'quality'. There are so many other factors to take into consideration like the lens and CMOS being used. Also the higher the resolution then more space its going to take to record so you may need to upgrade the storage on your recorder.

And for CCTV, unless you are looking at fast moving traffic or something then 15fps should be fast enough, anything extra is not getting you any extra usable information and just chewing up recording space and making camera more expensive for no return.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom