4MB Connection Running at below 1MB

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by trip, Jan 16, 2008.

1. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Right, I need some of you more technically minded folk to help me out a little if you would.

I've been with NTL (now VM) for probably 5-6 years for their broadband service. It used to be better in the beginning yeah but it's been very very reliable all these years, barely had downtime. So I was happy in that regard. Until this week.

For about a week, maybe a little less, according to speed tests it's dropping to BELOW 1MB (remember it's a 4mb connection). It's not just a spare of the moment thing it's remaining down there. Even with a reset of modem etc etc.

I phoned Virgin Tech support and they ran tests apparently and found nothing wrong with the connection to my modem. They tried to blame my comp and said P2P programs might be doing it. Well, I know I keep my PC clean of viruses/spyware and any of that. And I've turned off the computer altogether and just had my PS3 running which gives the same speed test results. Which I tried to explain on the phone.

Heres an example:

[​IMG]

I use a wired router, they asked me to try it without the router with a direct connection instead, but to no avail, still this absolute mess of a speed. All speed test sites are telling me the same. Downloading is visibily slower although webpages seem to still load quite fast. Noticed the problem first when I was trying to listen to online radio at 128k and it would buffer every 30seconds. And unable to host a game on PS3, people said it was ultra laggy; before it was not laggy for them. This morning it seemed to be back to the right speed (just under 4MB) according to Zdnet bandwidth test, but that lasted about 1-2hours at most!

They are sending somebody out to check the connection. I remember the person on the phone said they'd check for interference/noise ? I don't know what this will achieve. They said theres no problem their end, but there obviously must be. I don't get it. As I say it's barely had a problem in all the years I've been with ntl/vm, the speed has been great. If it doesn't go back to normal soon I might change providers. I just find it really strange how it keeps staying at such a low level.

Any ideas whats causing this? :suicide:

Cheers

2. TigerBytes

TigerBytes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  3. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Might be time to change. How are Sky in comparison?

Lately I only really use it for browsing websites and playing PS3 games online. UT3 in particular. Is playing PS3 online exceeding these limits? Hosting servers and joining servers takes a lot of bandwidth? I certainly haven't downloaded very large files at all in recent months.

4. Jayceef1

Jayceef1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  5. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25

It sounds like this is happening. But, the question is Why? Take today...at about 1pm I tested speed and it was perfect speed for 4MB. Throughout the day I must have used the Internet for all of 10minutes (no downloads whatsoever) just browsing the web. And yet, when I tested again at 6pm it was below 1MB speeds.

Am I missing something here? :suicide: Now, every night it's down to this speed no matter what I do?

6. RoNaLdiNhO

RoNaLdiNhO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i'm the same trip but i'm on 20mb and getting around 1-2mb. Been told its because so many people in my area are using the service. They have now put me to 2mb line which still i cant get the speed.

I'm going to contact my local trading standards because they wont refund be the lost speed i was paying for. Lets see what happens.

7. punk

punk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    ive had the same thing . i phoned em up said the same thing , why am i paying for something im not getting. did the non speaking English man seem bothered , yeah right....

8. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Can somebody please clarify that if you go over the usage limit then your speeds get restricted for THAT day? Is that how it works?

Because as it is, this is EVERY DAY that my speed (from about 4/5pm onwards until about 2am as far as I can see) drops to below 1MB. Then from 2am onwards its the perfect speed again. Almost 4MB speed.

If I'm being throttled it is happening each and every day for the past week I've been checking. Is it meant to happen each day? And I really don't know how I would have gone over the usage since I've not had heavy downloading or anything, i've simply played online games on the ps3. So could it be a mistake?

It certainly seems systematic (and not just random speed decrease) since I know almost exactly the time period of when the speed goes down to >1MB. It's really starting to annoy me and I bet this isn't an easy problem for them to correct over the phone I think, or even admit to.

9. paulcw

paulcw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ive also had it every day this week, including toady, been browsing the web for 30mins today, no downloads whatsoever, havent even bothered reporting a fault as yet as i know what the response will be :)confused:)

10. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Another few days past, every day been the same, below 1mb speeds. Below half 1mb speeds sometimes. It is now officially ridiculous. I doubt I even surpassed any usage limit in the first place. Why is this continuing? :suicide:

..Oh and the Virgin Media "engineer" no-showed.

11. Wonka

Wonka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    simple online gaming won't take you over your limits. Virgin are being very naughty to save bandwidth costs.

If a company treats you like crap, lies to you and expects you to behave like 95% of the Apathetic UK population do you

a. lie down and take it
    b. walk and find a new ISP

:hiya:

12. hepton

hepton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    same hear guys im only getting 0.86mb should be 4mb virgin are taking the p**s its of on a nite but 4mb again in the morning thats no good we should all phone up at same time and cancel

13. trip

trip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Given my month's notice. Been with them a lot of years, time to try another.