Question 4k yes. But which.

Sparky7ot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
Front room is about to be rearranged. Corner sofa will be approx 4m from TV position when sat in corner. Where i mostly plan on crashing.
Was thinking of getting a 4k oled at 55", cant really fit larger than that in the opposite corner.
I have access to 4k content.
Will 55" be too small for 4k?
Does anybody else have a similar distance and size, could you please tell me how the picture looks and what TV you have.
TIA

Yeah, 55"@4m is far too small to see any benefits from 4K itself.

While you won't see any more detail, many 4K sources are higher bitrate than the HD equivalents so depending on what and how you watch you may see reductions in artefacts. Although you can get the benefits of that with an HDCP converter.

4K isn't a very significant technology, it's not worth buying a new TV for. HDR is the biggie, but if your content doesn't support that I'd lean towards sticking with your current TV.

Yeah, 55"@4m is far too small to see any benefits from 4K itself.

While you won't see any more detail, many 4K sources are higher bitrate than the HD equivalents so depending on what and how you watch you may see reductions in artefacts. Although you can get the benefits of that with an HDCP converter.

4K isn't a very significant technology, it's not worth buying a new TV for. HDR is the biggie, but if your content doesn't support that I'd lean towards sticking with your current TV.

My current TV is 10 years old so im wanting to upgrade. Its smaller at 47" too.
So should i be looking for a decent HDR and not worry if its 4k or not?

Any decent tv of that size will be 4k now so there is really no issue.
However quality will vary significantly with the amount you pay. You could spend as little as £500, or up to £3k for a top end 55".

My current TV is 10 years old so im wanting to upgrade. Its smaller at 47" too.
So should i be looking for a decent HDR and not worry if its 4k or not?

Pretty much all 55" TVs are 4K now. I'm not sure if Samsung have discontinued their FHD TVs in that size but everyone else has. If Samsung does have 2019 FHD 55" models they're at the bottom of the range.

So if you're upgrading to a larger TV anyway there's no decision to made made regarding its resolution, as you only have to one choice.

HDR is a new set of picture standards for colour and contrast/brightness range that will be the biggest improvement in decades.

'Will be' because the technology to display the full range doesn't exist yet so TVs vary substantially in how much they can display, and thus how they display HDR content. On a cheaper TV it won't look much different to SDR content (normal non-HDR).

HDR content is still very much in the minority at the moment, so whether it's worth the extra right now or best saved for your next TV in a decade's time is something you have to decide.

As above almost all new 55'' sets are 4K, it's just how much you want to spend. No Dolby Vision but this Panasonic is really good value.

Very are doing the b9 for £1044 great price . I have the fz802 which is brilliant to my eyes

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom