4k Without the gimmicks

mrapoc

Standard Member
My 32" 720p tv is looking a bit small and sorry for itself in our new front room. We are looking at what we can get probably on finance for the front room - sub £1000.

The whole curved thing is a gimmick in my eyes. As is 3D and the whole smart thing. I plan to either use a media pc or an nvidia shield - for 4k netflix, amazon and the whole streaming revolution.

So really - is there a tv that will either be cheaper without those gimmicks or just a better quality for the price (as you can see I don't upgrade tv often!).

The panasonic cx680 caught my eye on here but I don't mind paying a bit more if it brings a lot more to the table.

Thank you!

nugget2014

sony k55x8509

mrapoc

Standard Member
Thanks for the suggestion :)

I'll check it out.

HDR is a lot more £££ isn't it? But will I miss it that's the question (then can I afford it!)

CX680 is still looking a strong contender too - especially as avforums have a review on it.

Reason for nvidia shield tv is so I can continue getting updated apps when the manuf drop updates (smart tv) and also for Kodi.

Old Bones

The whole curved thing is a gimmick in my eyes. As is 3D and the whole smart thing. I plan to either use a media pc or an nvidia shield - for 4k netflix, amazon and the whole streaming revolution.

So really - is there a tv that will either be cheaper without those gimmicks or just a better quality for the price (as you can see I don't upgrade tv often!).

If someone wants a flat of curved screen is up to them - if your buying a curved screen Samsung, your getting a slightly better PQI over the flat version, and I'm sure there are one or two ther reasons, but its no biggie. 3D just tends to come with a decent TV - the panel is what your buying, and anything with a better refresh rate mostly has 3D thrown in as well. The odd one out in this is the Samsung JU6400 (etc) range. I suspect thats on cost, as much as anything - the glasses cost monet, as does the receiver.

Smart stuff, again is standard. If you dont like it, just ignore it, and use what you like.

The Panasonic CX680 and the Sony x85 are both good choices - go and have a look at them. I would certainly measure the distance from where you sit to the TV. That way you can nail down the size. If your roughly 2.5 times the size of the screen, then that works for a lot of people.

mrapoc

Standard Member
Thanks

Yeh size will be measured - That's a handy tip!

I'm wondering about HDR now too as it sounds like a must have from what I've read. Down side of the cx680 and cx700 is no HDR. The cx700 sounds just a bit better on paper.

Whereas the sony I've heard horror stories about the android os but like you say best to go have a play on them someplace.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom