Question 4k - which cables are required?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by SunnyB, Jun 19, 2019.

1. SunnyB

SunnyB
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am re-wiring my house - as part of this i'm building an electrics cupboard and I am thinking to house a CCTV unit, PS4, SkyBox and maybe some other media players in there - the idea being that i can then view these from various TVs in the house (lounge, bedroom, living room, dining room)

I'm a bit confused on which cables / set-up i need to go for there seems like there is a few options:

* Cat 6 Unshielded
    * Cat 6a Unshielded
    * Cat 6 Shielded
    * Cat 6a Shielded
    * Cat 6 Unshielded HDBaseT

Sounds like I will need a Matrix which will take an input as HDMI convert it to Ethernet and then on the other side the Ethernet will convert to HDMI which will then go into the TV.

I will put One sound Amp in the main TV room which will then be connected up to 5.1 speaker setup.

I'm already planning on running Cat6 unshielded data cables in the house for network / internet access - but I am not clear on what is required for the 4k outputs.

Pls could someone point me in the right direction here?

At this point in time I can only afford to get a 1080p Matrix, but in a couple of years I am planning to switch that out for a 4k one so need all the correct wiring in place now..

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    Centralised Sources devices is fast becoming the 'old' way to plan out a residential system.

With the rise of Smart TV's, low cost streaming devices, CCTV Apps for tablet and Smartphone you have to be sure you want to centralise your kit - at present running 4K over a CAT cable requires some form of image compression.

Where you want to 'share' a Source via a Matrix to zones with different capabilities you inevitably have to set the Source to a format which works for the least capable Zone and not optimised for the most capable Zone.

Joe

3. SunnyB

SunnyB
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think its more for things like games console if i wanted to play in different rooms without having to move the box around.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    Conduit - ideally you run conduit with a pull cord, that way you can pull through new cables as and when required.

Console - assuming you can control the device from remote Zones you can either use HDMI over CAT (with CAT6 UTP) or Hybrid Fibre HDMI (compression free).

Joe

5. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    I used to have my PS3 in the lounge connected to a cheap matrix for playing in both the lounge and another room. Worked well.

However when I upgraded to a PS4 it soon became apparent the range of the PS4 Bluetooth is much shorter than the PS3 (possibly not surprising seeing as the PS4 must use more bandwidth as it's much more complex and also does audio)

I did try adding an external aerial to the PS4 which helped a little but ultimately I ended up moving the PS4 to the other room.

6. SunnyB

SunnyB
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What cabling did you use for the Matrix? My electrics cupboard isn't too far from the rooms i'll be playing the Playstation in. But the other devices will be viewed from other rooms (e.g. apple Tv, CCTV unit etc.)

7. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    Probably not relevant for your circumstances as I only have 2 rooms which are next to each other.

I had a cheap 4 input 2 output matrix in the lounge with a 8-10m HDMI cable under the floor to the dining room. I only use 1080P as I don't have 4k in any form.