4k vs. 1080p at 9 feet?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Tboy, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Tboy

Tboy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings all. I am a new member and am in the midst of replacing a six year old Pioneer Elite 1080i plasma. I am seeking advise from all, should it be concerned with 4K at a viewing distance of 9 feet? Or would a plasma 1080p present a better picture, I don't want to invest in obsolescence, but don't want to lock myself out of a better quality picture. I have looked at Panasonic Plasmas (disappearing fast)' Samsung 8500 series plasma, Samsung 9000 series 4k and Sony 4k.
    I feel the plasma still does blacks better and at this time I feel I won't invest in a 4k player or a pre/pro that is 4k compatible for a few years at best. And if my viewing distance won't really yield an appreciable visual advantage of 4K over 1080p, is there a reason to go for the 4k?
    So this is where your input and advise come into my decision making. Which format and secondly which brand? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    One last note I want to stay in a 55-60 inch screen size.
    Thank you in advance.
    Tboy

2. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
  3. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    As the article says, theres many other important aspects to consider with PQ, you are still comparing plasma to LCD.

4. Tboy

Tboy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ossie77, thank you for the article. I found it interesting that almost 100% saw a enough of a
    difference to call it dead on. But it was LCD vs LCD , as Scooby2000 points out my dilemma is Plasma 1080p vs. 4k. I have already eliminated 1080p LCD from the running. My concerns to name a few, glare, blacks, definition, motion refresh, and on another plain some weight is given to future obsolescence. Right now I have BluRay and a pre/pro capable of 1080p, it can be updated to 3D (not real desire there) but not to 4k. But my having a 1080i tv, I cannot get the full benefit of BluRay. So my concern as mentioned, is where do I go, best overall picture or comparable with future potential. How far out is true 4k broadcasting at the same level as 1080p? Is a plasma a better picture at 9 feet than the 4k LCD or is too close to call.

5. Iain42

Iain42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,185
    Hi there,

I don't envy you at the moment, a difficult decision as to which way to go just now. I had a look at the TV's in John Lewis last week (just out of interest) and, though I know that looking at a retailers setup can be misleading, it was still interesting,

The Ultra HD LCD's exhibited some startling clarity, with native content, but still had the "coldness" of an LCD picture about them.

The regular LCD's were the same as usual, not a natural looking picture to my eyes, and poor with motion.

The plasmas they had still produced a much "warmer", more realistic picture than the LCD's.

Then there was the OLED's. The picture on these looked really good, but at a premium I wouldn't pay just now, unless there was a clear upgrade path to Ultra HD.

So, if it was me, I'd try to live with what I had for up to 18 months, to see what happens. If I had to buy just now, I'd have another plasma.

6. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    I still find plasma (most) have a richer and deeper image. If you want good uniformity and and excellent contrast ratios Id go plasma for now. This sort if thing can come down to personal taste, a well setup LED back lit LCD can look very good, to me they still look a little flat. Many see the brighter picture as a big plus but most sets I see though bright clip a lot of detail(most are set up wrong to be fare) having a bright image is not always good, you can lose detail and depth to a picture. Take a VT plasma, it has wonderful rich and deep tones whilst when needed can produce good vivid and bright colours, the darker areas of an image make brighter areas pop out. The Samsung F8500 plasma is a good compromise as it has amazing light output along with good blacks, comparing side by side the samsung can look better some times due to this, however in average/medium lighting the VT looked better to me.
    The filters on top end plasmas do a great job, maintaining contrast whilst an LCD that is combating a bright environment has to sacrifice a level of depth and detail.

I d go 4k if you really want it but be aware the 4k will not lessen the issues inherent with LCD just as it wouldn't if plasma.

7. Tboy

Tboy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iain42, thank you for your reply and providing the results of your recent look at new products. I am leaning towards a plasma at this point. I like the idea of waiting another year or so but would really like to make a decision while plasmas are still available. I realize that in a year and half OLED may come out at a price point I can afford and possible more than two choices. I have looked at the OLED and was very impressed and if the money was in my pocket I would most likely have one. Although I am a bit apprehensive to buy the first product that hits the shelf. I read somewhere that Samsung has a 70% acceptance rate of panels. Which means that they are disposing 30% of produced panels due to inferior quality. This gains another question, and that is , what is the bandwidth of acceptance? Do I get that 69% or the target acceptance level of performance? That scares me a little about the technology. Also I find it curious that Sony really was the engine driving OLED and yet they have stayed away from the bigger screen sizes. Maybe we will see OLED rise and die in the next 18 months. For years I have waited for the OLED as I have read that this would be the, ology that resolves all the issues. But so far iat Samsung and LG have jumped the gun to be the first to market. So that draws me back to the dilemma of buying a plasma while I can or abandon the technology, that I beleive is still the best in the price point I can afford, or buy LCD. Your first line in your response,
    "I don't envy you at the moment, a difficult decision as to which way to go just now" says a lot and expresses your understanding of my situation.
    Scooby2000, I beleive I have expressed that I agree with you on the plasma being the better picture available right now. But you indicate that you feel that Panny VT is better than the Samsung. I would normally agree with you but I did find the Samsung to produce a truer black. Although I doubt that I will find a Panny VT at this late date. I would rather have a ZT but I really don't want to go 60" but may cave in on that when I get a chance to see them side by side.
    I get upset that the retailers don't have the TV's set side by side for a true A-B comparison, as that would help as well. But Scooby2000 if you could elaborate a little on what performance qualities you see in the Vt vs F8500 would be interesting to hear.

Thank You
    Tboy

8. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    I was at the TPS meet where they had both the VT and F8500 calibrated and next to each other. I was looking to buy and wanted the Sammy to be the best, however to my eye the VT had a deeper and richer image, its not a huge difference at all, but side by side with bluray it was clear.
    The F8500 is a fantastic set, I've gone from Panasonic to Samsung already and there is a difference in how the picture is presented, Panasonics are softer and more natural whilst the Samsungs are more like an LCD with a more processed look.
    Some may not see the difference but to me its definitely there. When I say softer I don't mean less detail or really sharpness as such, its more processed v natural if that makes sense. The F8500 or the VT would be worth buying, for once theres a real choice in plasma, shame it came at the end.

9. Tboy

Tboy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scooby, thanks for your input. I made some calls around to see what was left on the shelves in VT and only demos, and I am looking for a ZT but sure that I will come back with the same results. So I guess I will find that the Samsung may be my choice. I will still look at the 4K since some of the pressure is off for now. After reading some of the CES reports Panasonic and Sony are coming out with new 4K's in the spring. I do have an issue with plasma in my home as I use the Niles Remote Ir repeater and Plasma drives it nuts, the heat issue, and my Elite screen buzzes which drive me nuts. I need to see if the Samsung's buzz. It is impossible to determine this in the store due to the ambient sounds. One dealer has told me he would stay late some night when the store is empty so I can listen, pretty cool on his part, I think. But the gap is narrowing and I still lean towards plasma, I just want to see a side by side comparison before I commit the money.