4K video editing prog affordable suggestions

Merlin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
win7 64bit pro 32gb ram MSI GTX970 16Gb memory etc.
Eizo video editing monitor CG247 (though card or monitor giving tearing lines on verticals, unsolved)
what affordable (no subscription progs ) or even free 4K video editing progs are there I could consider,
ability to alter sound track, edit in new sound tracks and remove existing, scrubbing action fwd and backward, sound volume adjustment, fade controls maybe with editable line and control points.
move cuts to other video tracks, all a bit like premiere pro. I do have Prem Pro cs6 but will not go cloud and subs !

also what progs for editing mpg files same manner .

stills capture retaining shape of image viewed (dont want circles becoming elipses) with fwd and backward frame by frame scrubbing would be great for both of these video types.

Merlin

Wit a computer of that spec, I think you’d be better off using Prem CS6 but working with proxy video files, rendering 4K when editing complete.

Hi,
John7...Prem Pro cs6 doesnt support 4K, or so I am led to believe, and I wont go cloud subs.
MAGIX I will consider, thanks.

I also hear of Power Director.

then there is DaVinci Resolve. free version, (2600 page manual though)

I dont want a massive learnig curve, I want intermediate at most editing to start with, I have used premiere Pro, and fiddled with sound tracks, various layers for video clips etc. Being able to progress to more advanced if I wish to with the same prog would make sense. I must be able to edit 4k and also mpeg, I used to hear of Womble for mpeg, but I would rather have one prog does both.

which of these would be best then ?

Merlin

Magix bought the Sony software which was always easy to use - with the bonus (DYOR) of Show me how, which is a tutorial using your media, mouse and screen...you have to perform each task correctly to move on. A very clever idea that Sony never thought worth pushing... It used to cover about 20 topics = enough to get you used to the screen layout and most actions.
Beware of any software that's too cheap- or claims it's "easy" . Sadly this includes (free) DaVinci... which needs concentrated work as an Editor since its main purpose is for colour-grading ( eg Blackmagic cameras ).
I think Magix is selling the Studio software from about £50, but the extra software-bundle may be useful for a little more money. I regularly use SoundForge which integrated with the video-editor ( v12)...., + I think the latest version is v15,- - - with v16 later in the year. DYOR.

Good luck.

Hi, VegasPro is sony but $600 so how can sony exist and also be now Magix ?
that aside this Magix sounds useful, DaVinci complex. I am al for the tutorial follow along, the learning of these progs isnt appraoched in such a way normally and I am wanting such tutorials, so does Matrix use this approach, I think I read you that it does, which is good if so.

what is DYOR ?

Merlin

Hi, VegasPro is sony but $600 so how can sony exist and also be now Magix ? ---Merlin
Vegas Pro was Sony/SCS up to v 13 build 453 and Movie Studio Platinum was Sony/SCS up to v 13 build 955. After them the Vegas Pro and Movie Studio product lines are all MAGIX. If you are interested in them, you'll find the trials on Unique video products – VEGAS Creative Software. Try before you buy and try Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum first.

DYOR - my understanding is that when you give advice, especially here, others may disagree . . . maybe rightly or wrongly depending on how they approach the subject. DYOR give anyone a let-out should this happen - and such advice should apply to all postings, rather than accept it without question.... that's all.
The Show Me How featured in v12 (Movie Studio) but I don't know if later versions will have this wildly-good feature. Check out the Trial-version to check your PC works OK, but some "Features may be disabled" - it's back to DYOR . . . . perhaps you will tell us your experience - I understand these are now 64-bit programs, so a powerful PC is required.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a tad like RTFM ( Read the flipping Manual).... If you have a User Guide for a similar model and can advise, based on how you expect an Older/Newer camcorder may behave... but without the ACTUAL manual, it's probably better to suggest they RTFM.... at least then, the dissenters will have to behave themselves.
----------------------------------------------------------
IMHO is In My Humble Opinion.... sadly Text can look rather bare without the feedback (you get face-to-face in conversation)...so an information-guide or suggestion.... can look too clinical...and critical as well....

good to know vkmast is still with us...

Cheers all.

DYOR - my understanding is that when you give advice, especially here, others may disagree . . . maybe rightly or wrongly depending on how they approach the subject. DYOR give anyone a let-out should this happen - and such advice should apply to all postings, rather than accept it without question.... that's all.
DYOR. We have a range of posters - the young maybe with little experience of the equipment and the old who have to deal with new technology and systems - plus everyone in between. Its like telling a schoolage person to go to a library - where do they start? Probably they ask the librarian for guidance. So DYOR is not often helpful. Guidance to a starting point, like the librarian in a library, is often the better way.

but without the ACTUAL manual, it's probably better to suggest they RTFM.... at least then, the dissenters will have to behave themselves.
RTFM. First you need a Manual.:facepalm:I always try to behave myself, often it is very hard.:clap:

Hi,
Bit of a time lapse...but its Christmas and I get at last to give this a go. I have downloaded Movie Studio Pro 15 following your advice, which are the best forums specific to this prog should I need help or might it in fact be here ?

Merlin

There are some Tutorials on YouTube, but varying degrees of "Oh I made a mistake, let me do that again" ( and this is an EDITING program...Huh!)... some are very good... but it may depend on your level of experience....
e.g. Sony produced a Tutorial DVD with v10 - I think it was VAAST Corporation in the US.... When I was a newbee the whole DVD was terrible.... quite a waste of time... about 1-year on and it became more useful, but there is a language-barrier with many US-Tutorials . . . just every-so-often you wonder....

+Have you worked through the Show-Me-How's..? -OR- are they not there - at the Start-up as I recall...OR try:- Help / Show me How . . .
Remember to include the Version-Number in any web-SEARCH, as many will be older and lack some of the short-cuts now available. One I'd really like (it's in Studio) is the "Match Scene" - this lets the computer do the work of colour-grading between two scenes filmed at different times.
The PRO-version is "probably" very similar to the Studio version...there were some positive changes to justify the PRO higher price: but it's often said we use only 10% of the program-power. Text-handling in PRO is much improved, but I never liked the (Studio)add-on programs which were not quite aligned IMHO with the other bits.
( I still only use the Sony Text Generator)

FWIW, I don't think many (here) use the Pro (or Studio) versions since Magix took over - the old Sony Forum was well-liked, but somehow Sony never used it to gain User Ideas. Then Sony+Magix fouled up the x-links, so I've not used it for many years.

....When you think "Sony" was cutting edge ( the "Walkman" ) so many years ago and Studio/Vegas appeared to be a bargain Winner . . . yet they allowed it to die by ignoring their User-Base...er, IMHO . . . to the point that someone made an offer they couldn't refuse. What was odd is that Magix had/has a comparable set of Video programs of its own . . . if they'd waited; the Sony-line would have faded away.

Good luck with your Trial.
HNY

Last edited:
Have you completed the 20-or so "Show Me How" Tuts built into the prog?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom