Question 4k UHD TV Setup

Geoff_W

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just purchased my first 4k UHD TV and 4k Bluray player, I am looking forward to setting it up for best picture quality. When I set up my previous Full HD TV I used the DV Essentials Bluray test disc. Can this disc also be used to set up a 4K TV? I have also read the various guides on this site and others such as What HiFi.

Having just purchased my first 4k UHD TV and 4k Bluray player, I am looking forward to setting it up for best picture quality. When I set up my previous Full HD TV I used the DV Essentials Bluray test disc. Can this disc also be used to set up a 4K TV? I have also read the various guides on this site and others such as What HiFi.
Old thread, I know, but still a relevant question. Does anyone have any suggestions or input on this?

IMO you are best using native 4K test patterns via a USB or connected PC/laptop; this is what I do. It avoids scaling artefacts when doing things like setting sharpness, etc.

Also try to avoid using patterns from places like the built in YouTube app, because the video compression can work against you.

Once you have set up the TV, view some material/content you are very familiar with. This should give you a good sense of how well the TV is performing.

Give it some time for your eyes to adjust to the settings you have done though before tweaking further, as sometimes correct settings can appear dim/dull in comparison to how the TV was originally.

IMO you are best using native 4K test patterns via a USB or connected PC/laptop; this is what I do. It avoids scaling artefacts when doing things like setting sharpness, etc.

Also try to avoid using patterns from places like the built in YouTube app, because the video compression can work against you.

Once you have set up the TV, view some material/content you are very familiar with. This should give you a good sense of how well the TV is performing.

Give it some time for your eyes to adjust to the settings you have done though before tweaking further, as sometimes correct settings can appear dim/dull in comparison to how the TV was originally.
Thank you for your response. :)
On previous TVs I have always used Joe Kane’s DVE setup discs, to include the source hardware in the picture chain. As far as I know, there are no 4K UHD setup discs available. You mentioned test patterns via USB, can I ask for your source for these? Also, does using USB not compromise the final picture by omitting the source hardware?

Thank you for your response. :)
On previous TVs I have always used Joe Kane’s DVE setup discs, to include the source hardware in the picture chain. As far as I know, there are no 4K UHD setup discs available. You mentioned test patterns via USB, can I ask for your source for these? Also, does using USB not compromise the final picture by omitting the source hardware?

There is a Spears & Munsil UHD disc in the works, but I'm not sure of the release date yet.

I use a program called HCFR, via my PC, it is a calibration software that can generate 4K test patterns. Also because I use a PC, it is still via HDMI and therefore as close to source chain as I can currently get.

But there are plenty of free repositories of 4K test patterns available, which could be loaded onto a USB. AVS forums have a large number of threads dedicated to the sharing of such media.

If you have a 4K player, you could use the USB port on that to display the patterns, which would be the same as if you played a disc through it. But I can't see there being much difference between USB and HDMI on the TV directly, as both are digital and should show the 1s and 0s in the same way. Unless the TV or player is tampering with the material somewhere in the chain.

There is a Spears & Munsil UHD disc in the works, but I'm not sure of the release date yet.

I use a program called HCFR, via my PC, it is a calibration software that can generate 4K test patterns. Also because I use a PC, it is still via HDMI and therefore as close to source chain as I can currently get.

But there are plenty of free repositories of 4K test patterns available, which could be loaded onto a USB. AVS forums have a large number of threads dedicated to the sharing of such media.

If you have a 4K player, you could use the USB port on that to display the patterns, which would be the same as if you played a disc through it. But I can't see there being much difference between USB and HDMI on the TV directly, as both are digital and should show the 1s and 0s in the same way. Unless the TV or player is tampering with the material somewhere in the chain.
Thank you for that. I'm am no pro or enthusiast calibrator with expensive meters at my disposal, I just want my picture to be the best I can make it using the simple tools at my disposal. Before I got my Sony X700 & Denon X400H I went through the TV settings using the Blu-ray HD version of DVE. I suspect that there is a 4K UHD DVE in the pipeline too. I guess what I am hoping for are some 4K UHD test patterns, similar to DVE, that I can use to tweak, or confirm that, my TV is set up to the best of my ability. :)

Thank you for that. I'm am no pro or enthusiast calibrator with expensive meters at my disposal, I just want my picture to be the best I can make it using the simple tools at my disposal. Before I got my Sony X700 & Denon X400H I went through the TV settings using the Blu-ray HD version of DVE. I suspect that there is a 4K UHD DVE in the pipeline too. I guess what I am hoping for are some 4K UHD test patterns, similar to DVE, that I can use to tweak, or confirm that, my TV is set up to the best of my ability. :)

Neither am I; I am just an "avid enthusiast", so I bought a cheap colorimeter. But it does mean I get called to set up every new TV a family member or friend buys! :facepalm:

If you Google "4K test patterns" you will get loads of results with patterns similar to those on the disc you have used previously. Which would allow you to set up your TV in the way you are familiar with.

For good baseline settings, that are usually pretty close to reference outside of a white balance adjustment, try looking up your TV model on Rtings.com. They offer calibration settings for all TVs they review, which will get you in the ballpark of an accurate picture.

Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:
I feel your pain about TV setups though, even with my limited tools, I have set up TVs for most of my friends and family! :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom