Question 4K UHD Player wanted - advice please

low-def.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to get a 4K UHD player soon to use with my KS8000, but unsure which one to get. At the moment, I would probably not want to spend more than £250 ish.

I was looking at a few players, including the Samsung UBDM7500 @ £179, UBDM9000 @ £199, UBDM9500 @ UBDM9500, Sony UBPx700 @ £229.

According to an article on forbes, the Samsung 7500, 8500 and 9500 will get the HDR10+ upgrade via firmware, but I see the Sony has Dolby Vision and has had a What HiFi 5 star rating recently.

I also read there are new Samsung players 'N series' are due in a few months - so would it be better to hold on?

DV is pointless given your TV doesn’t support it. If the Samsungs are definitely getting HDR10+ support then go for the cheapest one - they all should be same image wise.

Cheers. Oddly enough the M9000 isn't mentioned on the forbes site to have the hdr10+ update. Could be the 8500 is the 9000 in the US?

Hi all,

Looking to get a 4K UHD player soon to use with my KS8000, but unsure which one to get. At the moment, I would probably not want to spend more than £250 ish.

I was looking at a few players, including the Samsung UBDM7500 @ £179, UBDM9000 @ £199, UBDM9500 @ UBDM9500, Sony UBPx700 @ £229.

According to an article on forbes, the Samsung 7500, 8500 and 9500 will get the HDR10+ upgrade via firmware, but I see the Sony has Dolby Vision and has had a What HiFi 5 star rating recently.

I also read there are new Samsung players 'N series' are due in a few months - so would it be better to hold on?
HDR10+ No service/media uses it and no one has signed up to use it, so therefore not worth worry about.
DV is being used and looks to have a foot hold, but your TV does not. So a future proof tick box item. So i'd look at either the Panasonic DMP-UB700 or Sony UBP-X700

HDR10+ No service/media uses it and no one has signed up to use it, so therefore not worth worry about.
DV is being used and looks to have a foot hold, but your TV does not. So a future proof tick box item. So i'd look at either the Panasonic DMP-UB700 or Sony UBP-X700
Not quite true. Warner Bros & 20th Century Fox have both signed up to support the format. How that support manifests is another matter.

Not quite true. Warner Bros & 20th Century Fox have both signed up to support the format. How that support manifests is another matter.
21st Century Fox who own 20th century fox has been bought out by Disney who do not support it. So I'd kind of in my mind discounted them. But that does leave Warner Bros

but I see the Sony has Dolby Vision and has had a What HiFi 5 star rating recently.

It is supposed to get DV FW in the summer does not yet have it. I would not rely on it unless one it actually happens and two your TV supports it which it does not.

To future proof for a Samsung TV (if it will get HDR10+ firmware upgrade, that is) get a Panasonic UB420 which has HDR10+. Out now in Germany and shortly in the U.K. Or wait a few months and see what else appears. If HDR10+ isn't a priority get a Panasonic UB400 at £149.

Cheers I’ll bear these Panasonic’s in mind.
I’m happy with the ks8000 so can’t see me changing that to anything hdr10+ or dv in the next few years so a 4K player that can cover most things off now with some added future proofing would be good.

Panasonic ub300 is £129. Has same chipset as 400, slight difference in design and only one hdmi port but picture wise it is identical and will work perfectly with your KS.

Panasonic ub300 is £129. Has same chipset as 400, slight difference in design and only one hdmi port but picture wise it is identical and will work perfectly with your KS.
For the extra £20 for the UB400 you get better build and a lot more features:
Although the dimensions are the same, the construction isn't as solid as the more expensive DMP-UB400 and the drop-down flap at the front has gone....The UB300 also loses the second HDMI output and the optical digital output.....unlike Panasonic's other players, it doesn't have built-in WiFi. Panasonic DMP-UB300 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review

For the extra £20 for the UB400 you get better build and a lot more features:
Although the dimensions are the same, the construction isn't as solid as the more expensive DMP-UB400 and the drop-down flap at the front has gone....The UB300 also loses the second HDMI output and the optical digital output.....unlike Panasonic's other players, it doesn't have built-in WiFi. Panasonic DMP-UB300 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review

I referred to it being different - as for WiFi, op has a smart tv so it’s not going to cause much issue. You can use Ethernet if an internet connection is required. It’ll get the main job done and to the same standard...

Cheers for the input guys. Incidentally where is the ub400 @ £149? Did have a quick look the other day and it was £250.

Not having a front display would bug me, try the panasonic UB820.

If Dolby vision will be important for future proofing, get the Sony 700, if you want to be able to play Sacds,get the Sony 800.

If you want really good multimedia,get the Xbox one s or x

Yes the Sony is also appealing. Was tempted to get a samsung to match up with current gear but that Panasonic is priced very temptingly.

Hi all,

Sony UBP- X800

RS have the Sony UBPX700 for £205 (£215 - £10) this weekend, almost tempting.

Edit cheaper here, very tempting:

Sony UBP-X700 Owners Thread

Last edited:
I have a UB700 with a KS8000 (using split HDMI) and the quality is amazing, either for upscaled blu-ray or UHD blu-ray. If you can still find a UB700, it's a good choice.
Samsung said early last year that the KS8000 would get the HDR10+ update, but rumours now indicate they've backed off, which has kicked up a heck of a stink with some KS8000 owners (me included). There's a petition running here to try and get Samsung to follow through on their original annoucement.

If Dolby vision will be important for future proofing, get the Sony 700, if you want to be able to play Sacds,get the Sony 800.

If you want really good multimedia,get the Xbox one s or x
That’s useful
Can you please elaborate as I am between the latest 2018 pana and an x box x.

That’s useful
Can you please elaborate as I am between the latest 2018 pana and an x box x.
I can get youtube, Amazon prime and Netflix all in 4k.
Plus can play games, although I only have one that came with it.
At the time the one s as the cheapest uhd player.
So it depends on your requirements.
And don't believe the people who say a dedicated player looks and sounds player. Most people can't tell the difference between a really good blu ray upscaled and a uhd blu ray disk. I mean most non videophile and non audiophile people.

As another member has mentioned already the x700 is currently £187.99 at Powerdirect.co.uk

Just noticed the UB300 is £119 at Peter Tyson - how does this player compare?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom