• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

4K UHD Player and a HDMI/HDR splitter. Will this work?

Waynej

Distinguished Member
I wasn't sure where to best ask this. I figured this section is probably the best as it relates to an amp that is not 4K capable. So my 4K UHD Player goes straight to the TV for 4K/HDR, and I run optical to the amp. I'd like to regain my HDMI uncompressed audio though.

My thinking is the 4K Player goes to the input of the splitter, then output 1 goes to the TV for 4K/HDR picture, and output 2 on the splitter goes to the amp for uncompressed audio.

Would that even work, is that something that anyone has tried here?

Last edited:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Only if both the amp and the splitter fully support HDMI 2.0 + HDCP 2.2. Since your HT-S3405 does not, you will lose the UHD display if you use a splitter.

This is why most currently available UHD players have dual HDMI outputs, but AFAIK the PS4 is the exception.

movie_fan

Established Member
That's a doubt that I also have....

I don't know if a splitter with edid editing-capabilities is needed to achieve this. Or if something from the HDFury range can help there.

Hopefully someone will shed some light.

Edit: Mark is already helping out. :)

Last edited:

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Only if both the amp and the splitter fully support HDMI 2.0 + HDCP 2.2. Since your HT-S3405 does not, you will lose the UHD display if you use a splitter.

This is why most currently available UHD players have dual HDMI outputs, but AFAIK the PS4 is the exception.
Well, I'm certainly glad I asked as I was considering just buying a splitter and trying my luck.

It's not what I wanted to hear but at least you've saved me some time and money from attempted trial and error.

The device I am using at the moment is the Xbox One S, and as I planned on picking up the Xbox One X aka. Scorpio in November, I've been waiting before trying a splitter or looking at an amp replacement, as for a £450 4K games console with UHD drive - I was really hoping the premium console would have a dedicated HDMI out audio port.

I suppose I am forced to look at a new amp with 4K/HDR passthrough, which is an irritable expense as I am otherwise happy with what I have. Dolby Atmos and ceiling mounted speakers is of no interest to me. I'd just like to maintain uncompressed audio for games, and Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD for 4K and Blu-rays.

My Onkyo I got as a bundle with speakers (it's in my signature), and I notice when I last looked a lot of amps are currently standalone purchases right now.

Is there an amp anyone here would recommend that is similar to my existing amp, but obviously compatible with 4K/HDR passthrough?

I'm not sure if my current Onkyo speakers can be moved to a new amp, or should I be looking at another new amp bundle with speakers again?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Speakers from a "home theatre in a box" cannot (in general) be used with separates.

At the same time, I rather think you'd be wasting money doing so, as there are currently no AV bundles with HDMI 2.1 and no TVs that can handle HDMI 2.1, yet the new XBOX One Scorpio is supposed to be HDMI 2.1 (Xbox 'Scorpio' will feature HDMI 2.1 & adaptive frame rate - FlatpanelsHD). So if you don't want to be buying new devices all the time, I'd suggest you stick with optical until things settle down. The audio difference is minimal.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Spitter is not an ideal term to use - most devices are Distribution Amps (DA) where the DA simply mirrors the Input signal to multiple Outputs.

As Mark suggest a Dual Output UHD_ BD Player is a good option.

HDF have two devices which can be combined to allow you to take an UHD signal and send one signal to an UHD Display and a second to a non-UHD compatible AVR - see Linker + Integral Bundle – The Media Factory

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom