4k UHD Multi region player - recommendations

Smallclone

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a SONY - UBP-X700B but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be multi region as it doesn't play region A Locked Blu Rays.

So are there any multi region 4k players that come recommended? My budget is ideally £350 maximum. And I'd like all the usual (Dolby Vision etc)

Thank You

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks but I have limited sockets and would like all blu rays to be upscaled to 4k. Will this play locked region A blu rays?

Amazon product ASIN B07YF3MMZL
You would need to ask the seller.

But it is just a rebadged version of it's predecesor UP-970, both have a terrible reputation.

Last edited:
They sell the MK2 which has Dolby Vision.

And I understand it's a little over what you're looking to spend, but the LG is bloody terrible.

@Gerry557 There is a reason the site you quoted is ****. AVForums does not support recommendations for that operation.

@Smallclone Your first post "it doesn't play region B Locked Blu Rays" (unless that's a typo) suggests that either
a) your machine is imported from Zone A land or
b) it is in fact a MultiZone machine, which is currently set to A.

In case you weren't aware: BD MultiZone modifications are typically not automatic. You can't simply insert any disc and expect it to play. Zone locked discs require the player to be explicitly set to whichever Zone. That involves ejecting the disc and then pressing (usually) one of the three colours - Red (A) / Green (B) / Yellow (C) - to set BD Zone before reloading the disc. Have you tried that?

@Gerry557 There is a reason the site you quoted is ****. AVForums does not support recommendations for that operation.

@Smallclone Your first post "it doesn't play region B Locked Blu Rays" (unless that's a typo) suggests that either
a) your machine is imported from Zone A land or
b) it is in fact a MultiZone machine, which is currently set to A.

In case you weren't aware: BD MultiZone modifications are typically not automatic. You can't simply insert any disc and expect it to play. Zone locked discs require the player to be explicitly set to whichever Zone. That involves ejecting the disc and then pressing (usually) one of the three colours - Red (A) / Green (B) / Yellow (C) - to set BD Zone before reloading the disc. Have you tried that?

Yeah sorry I meant region A. I have tried the red colour press with disc both out and in but no joy.

@LV426

Sorry should I delete it. It came up with a quick Google. Only because I might consider multiregion for myself or are you saying we shouldn't be trying?

@Gerry557 I can't discuss the reasons, but we do not recommend that "organisation" for this (or any) purpose.

I went with those folks and got a Sony ubp x700 which is the model I already owned but at least I know it does a good job and I have tested it with a region A disc and it works fine. One question I have:

Is it ok to install firmware updates and enable diagnostics to be sent to Sony? Everything is legit regarding these multi-region players right? Sony aren't going to disable the multiregion function or something if I enable internet on it?

Thanks

I got a LG UBK80 from MRMDVD. However, I can't really recommend it. It works most of the time and plays discs from other regions (although switching for Blu-ray is fiddly) but has "glitched" on more than one UHD disc, where the discs look unblemished. I don't know whether to blame the discs or the player.

I got a LG UBK80 from MRMDVD. However, I can't really recommend it. It works most of the time and plays discs from other regions (although switching for Blu-ray is fiddly) but has "glitched" on more than one UHD disc, where the discs look unblemished. I don't know whether to blame the discs or the player.
Did you try the same disc on a different device?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom