• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question 4K, UHD, HDR, Beginner Questions

cctaylor88

Novice Member
I'm going to preface this by saying that I haven't purchased a new TV in approx 10 years. I purchased a 42in plasma when HD was still a brand new thing, and that TV still works perfectly FYI.

Anyways, new home, time for a new TV, I am not willing to go below 65in, but I am "on a budget." What I mean by this is that I want a nice large TV but I am by no means a "moviephile" or TV "enthusiast" as in... I don't need the latest, greatest, most expensive TV. It seems like most TVs now (esp at the size I want) will be at a minimum "4K" but I'm not even sold on 4K as I don't believe there is a ton of content out there.

I will not be purchasing any type of disc players (blu-ray, UHD dvds etc) as I believe the future is fully with streaming and not physical media.

I know this is a bit all over the place, but what I'm asking is... what are the minimum things I should be looking for? For example, is "hdmi 2.0" still a thing or should I be looking for a better/more future proof connection.

When it comes to screen resolution what should I be looking for? Whats the difference b/t 4k vs UHD vs HDR?

I've read elsewhere that the biggest actual difference is HDR, as you won't even notice the difference between 2k and 4k unless you are viewing on 65+ inches.

I apologize for the spew of words, but basically I'm looking for the minimum wants that will give me a great viewing experience on 65inches, and some exact model recommendations would be great as well! I'd actually prefer to buy "last years" model as this will save a good chunk of change as well.

next010

Distinguished Member
* 4K is a resolution of 4160x2160
* UHD is what the TV industry decided on as the official implementation but it is 3840x2160 however because 4K was easier and catchier to say it stuck in consumer mindset so 4K is often used in place of UHD or 2160p.
* HDR is a system for showing more colours on TV basically, it's got nothing to do with the above per say but it is packaged with UHD TV's as a means of pushing upgrades. There are a few different brands of HDR, some TV's support more than one.
* HDMI 2.0 is required for displaying 4K/UHD resolution at 60Hz.

On the horizon is HDMI 2.1 but unless your into gaming or watching high frame rate video on TV this doesn't offer much to you.

Most TV's these days have streaming services at least the three big ones (Netflix/Amazon/Youtube) built in though software wise when it comes to the smart TV OS they are poorly supported so they can push newer models a few years later. In all likelihood your going to be buying a set top box for streaming (like present day Roku or Android TV/FireTV) if this TV is to last 10 years.

Sony's TV's have AndroidTV OS built in and they receive at least it seems 1 or 2 major updates, when a newer version comes out, you also have access to a AndroidTV app store which over the long run will likely retain better compatibility than some other smart TV OS/apps.

Check out avforums review of the Sony XE93 which may interest you, it scores high on future proofing.

SonOfSJ

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom