4K UHD blu ray discs that change scope between IMAX and Cinemscope

Yennadis

Novice Member
I wish to post this issue and would be interested to hear what people think about it and perhaps if they have found ways of dealing with it. Perhaps even, we can influence the studios to stop issuing discs with this feature .

The problem is this. Any cinephile who has bought a Cinemscope screen for their home cinema and has sat down to watch a 4K UHD blu Ray disc, will in the middle of watching, find that cinemascope image they were watching , has expanded over and below the screen and is now projecting not just on the screen , but on the wall. So , when this happens you change the scope setting on your projector and the image reframes to almost a 4:3 image ratio in a 16:9 space of the screen... and before long, the image changes back to a cinemascope but it's now wrongly framed because you had selected 16:9 on your projector to circumvent the previous event I described. So you change back to cinemascope and the process repeats and repeats until it drives you nuts......And why is this happening? ? Because the director and studios want us to experience IMAX at home......I mean that is the stupidest thing ever. And whilst i am in "get if of my chest status" , as owners of cinemascope screens, we are also disadvantaged when it comes subtitles. Netflix, Prime and disc media (less so) place subtitles in the black bars .....which when watching on cinemascope screens, black bars are off the screen.....

gibbsy

When you compare the number of PJs sold to the number of large screen TVs, or any size in reality, the streaming services are always going to serve the majority better first and foremost. There are no problems watching such films as Dunkirk or Interstellar where Nolan has taken a directorial decision to use both formats.

Again with sub titles Netflix or other streaming services know that the vast majority will be watching on TVs which will accommodate those sub titles being in the aspect ration black bars below the main screen. Do they spoil the experience for perhaps 95% of viewers or for that 5% with their PJs.

So, are directors going to alter their use of mixed formats because of PJ users, I doubt it. Neither will streaming services do the same. It's simply down to scale of use and PJ owners are very much in the minority.

Broadsword

It's not even the 5% that have PJ's but the 5% of that 5% who have cinemascope screens. I love the Imax bits because it fills my 16:9 screen. I've taken the decision that its too much effort to have a 2.35:1 screen though. So carry on Nolan I say.

Yennadis

Novice Member
It's not even the 5% that have PJ's but the 5% of that 5% who have cinemascope screens. I love the Imax bits because it fills my 16:9 screen. I've taken the decision that its too much effort to have a 2.35:1 screen though. So carry on Nolan I say.
Thank you for the reply. You are of course correct, though it’s not just a few discs that use imax. Batman was imax, I watched tenet, it was imax, watched aquaman, it was imax. Hope this trend stops, I can live without subtitles but I am having serious problem dealing with this imax business. So much so, I might change my screen to 16:9.

gibbsy

Thank you for the reply. You are of course correct, though it’s not just a few discs that use imax. Batman was imax, I watched tenet, it was imax, watched aquaman, it was imax. Hope this trend stops, I can live without subtitles but I am having serious problem dealing with this imax business. So much so, I might change my screen to 16:9.
Would that be fair on the vast majority of people who enjoy and don't have problems with it? You are, afterall, in the minority and perhaps it is you that should change.

MLCinema

I don’t like the shifting movies as well for the same reasons. Have yet to try the mask function on the projector or splash the cash on a real anamorphic lens.

I know I’m a minority, but either 212cm wide or 280cm wide is quite different with😝.

markie4tv8699

Standard Member
I wish to post this issue and would be interested to hear what people think about it and perhaps if they have found ways of dealing with it. Perhaps even, we can influence the studios to stop issuing discs with this feature .

The problem is this. Any cinephile who has bought a Cinemscope screen for their home cinema and has sat down to watch a 4K UHD blu Ray disc, will in the middle of watching, find that cinemascope image they were watching , has expanded over and below the screen and is now projecting not just on the screen , but on the wall. So , when this happens you change the scope setting on your projector and the image reframes to almost a 4:3 image ratio in a 16:9 space of the screen... and before long, the image changes back to a cinemascope but it's now wrongly framed because you had selected 16:9 on your projector to circumvent the previous event I described. So you change back to cinemascope and the process repeats and repeats until it drives you nuts......And why is this happening? ? Because the director and studios want us to experience IMAX at home......I mean that is the stupidest thing ever. And whilst i am in "get if of my chest status" , as owners of cinemascope screens, we are also disadvantaged when it comes subtitles. Netflix, Prime and disc media (less so) place subtitles in the black bars .....which when watching on cinemascope screens, black bars are off the screen.....
I had the same problem, i eventually bought an oppo 203 and a prismasonic anamorphic lens.
the lens allowed me to expand the picture horizontal and the oppo expand vertically.( using the 4K input and the aspect button) this eliminated the “IMAX’ effect of shifting aspect ratios. It’s not a great idea zooming out to get rid of the bars because of the resolution loss ( light) and the overspill with the “imax” res.

Superhans

I’m not so sophisticated so I plumped for a 16:9 screen with top and bottom masking panels that I only remove for the IMAX shifters.

markie4tv8699

Standard Member
I’m not so sophisticated so I plumped for a 16:9 screen with top and bottom masking panels that I only remove for the IMAX shifters.
Only thing is that the projector is still projecting the bars which drops the resolution and brightness On the screen. With , for instance Jupiter legacy jumping between 16x9 and ultra wide which is a problem for 16x9 masking but if it works it works.

linnasak

Lumagen switches ratio automatically so when imax reduces picture to fit inside 2.35 screen. What is perverse is the effect in cinema is to make imax element bigger and fill out screen, where as on TVs for majority it makes it smaller. I suppose if it really bugs you, then you need to get a large 16x 9 screen with auto masking. Not cheap though!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom