4k TV wanted, basic but amazing picture

addbrad

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am after some advice, I want a 55" 4k TV with an amazing picture + ARC or ideally eARC that's that it. I'm not bothered about sound, how many hdmi connections, connected apps or anything else like freeview or freesat etc.

Basically I have a very expensive sound setup with an xbox one x and sky q plugged in. Now I want to replace my 1080p plasma with a 4k TV.

I don't really have a budget restriction but then again I don't want to pay for all the stuff I don't need. Plus the more you spend the more I don't need I.e good speakers etc built in..

Any advice ?

Why would you get an E8 over a C8 if you're not using the tv's speakers? I would wait for the cheapest 2019 LG OLED that has HDMI 2.1 and should probably do eARC (and the E8's sound is apparently a step backwards from the E7; C8 might even sound better in practice when using the stand).

Alternatively some 2019 Sony models will have the eARC feature as well, just have to wait on more specs to become available for the lower end models.

I thought about the C8 or
Philips 55POS9002

I own a 4K LG and while the picture is good the quality of the build seems quite poor. Never owned a Philips apart from a shaver

ARC and eARC only work if the AVR or AVP is also ARC or eARC enabled - which AVR/AVP are you planning to use?

'Amazing picture' - I would concentrate on image quality and not try to separate out 'unwanted' features, pretty much every TV will have Features you do not require.

Joe

Hi,

I have the Sony HT-ST5000 which is eARC enabled.

Connected into this is a Xbox One X and Sky Q

Some 2018 Sony models got earc via a firmware update but as Joe says it’s only relevant if receiver can do it too.

ARC or eARC is fine. The important bit is the screen quality.
Just about every tv has ARC so that doesn't help to filter down anything. Not listing any budget doesn't either so in that case a Panasonic FZ802 OLED is an interesting option ...

Thanx, everyone, I think I am going to go look at the LG B8/C8, Panasonic FZ802 and the Philips 55POS9002 and decide which is best from there

Thanx, everyone, I think I am going to go look at the LG B8/C8, Panasonic FZ802 and the Philips 55POS9002 and decide which is best from there
The Philips POS9002 is from their 2017 range, this years (2018)updated model is the Philips OLED803, although it pretty much performs the same as last years tv.

I had a private viewing of the LG E8 in which I spent at least two hours going through everything the LG had to offer.
Anyway, my view was the LG a touch more punch, but the motion got nowhere near an Sony AF8.
Just my opinion.

I went for the Samsung Q9 QLED in the end.

Mainly because of the design of the OLED’s, whilst the screens are thin the extra bulk at the bottom makes them overall thicker than my current tv and because I want to wall mount it I think the Samsung looks better overall

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom