4k TV shows as 1080p native in setting.

Abdul70

Novice Member
Reaction score
My PC is connected to the TV using the HDMI 2.0. When I go into the resolution settings in Nvidia graphics panel it says native resolution is 1080p but allows me to choose 3840x2160 but i am afraid i am being upscaled.

I have 4k tv why does it say 1080p as native? I have reinstalled driver using DDU but still problem persist. Any idea how to fix it?

What model number TV is it ?

Philips 65PUT7303.

Its definitely a 3840x2160 display.

Is the TV in PC mode ?

Buried in the settings menu somewhere on Philips should be a PC mode option, I think it's near the game mode option, perhaps this is not enabled and the Nvidia driver thinks it's connected to a generic TV rather than treating it as a monitor.

Its definitely a 3840x2160 display.

Is the TV in PC mode ?

Buried in the settings menu somewhere on Philips should be a PC mode option, I think it's near the game mode option, perhaps this is not enabled and the Nvidia driver thinks it's connected to a generic TV rather than treating it as a monitor.

Yes its in monitor mode.

It normally means that whatever you play on your PC the card will always output everything as 1080p, up-scaling or downscaling the content as needed.
If available set to native or direct mode, (Or similar) as then it will just pass through whatever is played on the PC (If it's a game it will output whatever you set the game settings at) and the TV will do the up-scaling if required.

It is worrying that the Nvidia panel is not showing 2160p as the native res.

On many TVs there's a particular setting for each HDMI port - UHD enhanced or something similar - its necessary to enable that to get 4K/60Hz/8 bit

Check you are using a certified high speed HDMI cable

On Nvidia Change Resolution page I run with "Use Default Colour settings" which ends up with 4K/60Hz/8 bit. You cant get more than 8 bit at 60Hz with HDMI 2,0, But you can play with the Nvidia settings here - but I doubt if you can overcome what the card is seeing from the monitor.

On Nvidia "Adjust desktop size and position" start with "No scaling." In fact as a start go to each Nvidia page and change to defaults.

The Windows desktop should always be 2160p but in the Windows Display Settings I apply 200% in windows scaling - which just makes the text big enough to read but still at a 2160p res.

For gaming I often set games at 1080p to help the GPU but also to allow 10/12 bit depth at 60Hz.

Spec says can get 3840x2160 @ 60hz on all hdmi so should be ok. What graphics card?

Try another hdmi lead and also try selecting custom resolution and setting it to 3840x2160@60hz and see if ok then.
I had similar problem of it saying 1080p as native on my tv back when I was using display port but could set it to custom 4k60 and was ok.

It is worrying that the Nvidia panel is not showing 2160p as the native res.

On many TVs there's a particular setting for each HDMI port - UHD enhanced or something similar - its necessary to enable that to get 4K/60Hz/8 bit

Check you are using a certified high speed HDMI cable

On Nvidia Change Resolution page I run with "Use Default Colour settings" which ends up with 4K/60Hz/8 bit. You cant get more than 8 bit at 60Hz with HDMI 2,0, But you can play with the Nvidia settings here - but I doubt if you can overcome what the card is seeing from the monitor.

On Nvidia "Adjust desktop size and position" start with "No scaling." In fact as a start go to each Nvidia page and change to defaults.

The Windows desktop should always be 2160p but in the Windows Display Settings I apply 200% in windows scaling - which just makes the text big enough to read but still at a 2160p res.

For gaming I often set games at 1080p to help the GPU but also to allow 10/12 bit depth at 60Hz.
Now after some testing I am sure I am outputing Native 4k but just in nvdia panel it says 1080p as native.In nvidia i can select 4K/60Hz/8 bit. Whats the advatage of using 12bit depth?

Less colour banding / contouring. Windows gets round it by dithering etc so 8 bit colour depth still looks OK - and you certainly dont want less that 60Hz unless its a movie being played. Even with a 1080ti I often set 1080 in games with more graphics options turned on. With none or TV scaling the 1080p is sent over HDMI with the TV doing the upscaling so that more colour depth is possible.

Next time round there will be HDMI 2,1 so that work-around wont be needed.

For the windows desktop you can soon tell if its native 4K - with no windows scaling all the text is readable but tiny, which is why I use 200% windows scale. Most progs these days are also windows scaling aware.

Also there are apps you can download to show what the monitor is reporting (EDID) Ive just tried MonitorInfoView and Entech Monitor Asset Manager

Last edited:
Less colour banding / contouring. Windows gets round it by dithering etc so 8 bit colour depth still looks OK - and you certainly dont want less that 60Hz unless its a movie being played. Even with a 1080ti I often set 1080 in games with more graphics options turned on. With none or TV scaling the 1080p is sent over HDMI with the TV doing the upscaling so that more colour depth is possible.

Next time round there will be HDMI 2,1 so that work-around wont be needed.

For the windows desktop you can soon tell if its native 4K - with no windows scaling all the text is readable but tiny, which is why I use 200% windows scale. Most progs these days are also windows scaling aware.

Also there are apps you can download to show what the monitor is reporting (EDID) Ive just tried MonitorInfoView and Entech Monitor Asset Manager
I just love the super crisp of native 4k so I will stick with 4k/8bit. I set scaling to 200% which is just perfect but some small taskbar icon are blurry like low res for steam and some other but the rest of the icon are crisp. Anyway to fix that in windows? I wil try downloading the app to see what my tv report (EDID)

Now after some testing I am sure I am outputing Native 4k but just in nvdia panel it says 1080p as native.In nvidia i can select 4K/60Hz/8 bit. Whats the advatage of using 12bit depth?
Out of interest also try hdmi port 2 on your tv

Hello, similar issue on a philips 7504,
Edid says 1080p native . Nvidia shows 1080p as native but let me choose 4k modes

Tried change cables, but no luck.

Any idea??

Any luck from your end? I'm facing the same problem with my new Philips TV that I just purchased a couple of days ago, can't get it to display native 4K. I'm using a certified 2.0 HDMI cable, and can't figure out why would a 2019 4k TV with all HDR formats display a native 1080p instead of 4K? Thinking of returning this set if I can't find a solution and for the Panasonic 820b instead.

Due hace a wrong edid.
I have tries to tell this to phillips, but no luck.
Phillips s spain support is bad, and philips uk tellme that they doesnt help spanish users. So no luck.

Hello,

I am encountering the same issue with a Philips 55POS9002. I tried:

-changing the HDMI cable/ports
-checking "Enhanced" on the receiver and the TV
-checking with another computer

The native resolution still shows 1080p in Windows 10 and it is maddening! HDR cannot be set up properly either. Has anyone found a solution yet? Thanks! :)

Hello,

I am encountering the same issue with a Philips 55POS9002. I tried:

-changing the HDMI cable/ports
-checking "Enhanced" on the receiver and the TV
-checking with another computer

The native resolution still shows 1080p in Windows 10 and it is maddening! HDR cannot be set up properly either. Has anyone found a solution yet? Thanks! :)

Hey there, I sent mine back after I contacted Philips and they told me their TVs cannot display Native 4K using a PC, they sent me a special update but still didn't work, I think the TV does display 4k it's just reads native 1080p native which is annoying, I personally wanted a TV that showed me native 4k straight out of the box, that's why I sent mine back for a peace of mind, when I switched enhanced HDMI on the Philips, I noticed a massive improvement on picture and HDR worked fine, but like I said that little little detail bothered me even though it does display 4K. Hope it helps.

Hey there, I sent mine back after I contacted Philips and they told me their TVs cannot display Native 4K using a PC, they sent me a special update but still didn't work, I think the TV does display 4k it's just reads native 1080p native which is annoying, I personally wanted a TV that showed me native 4k straight out of the box, that's why I sent mine back for a peace of mind, when I switched enhanced HDMI on the Philips, I noticed a massive improvement on picture and HDR worked fine, but like I said that little little detail bothered me even though it does display 4K. Hope it helps.

Hey, thank you so much for your reply! Is there any chance you still have this special update file someplace ? :)

Hey, thank you so much for your reply! Is there any chance you still have this special update file someplace ? :)
No worries man, sadly I don't have that update and even if I did, I'm not sure it'll help you as it was specific to my TV model, I think you should contact Philips and try to get them to send you one, although I don't think it will help according to my research, if you do contact them do it via phone as they never responded to my email, I call them and they send me an update on the same day. Good luck.

No worries man, sadly I don't have that update and even if I did, I'm not sure it'll help you as it was specific to my TV model, I think you should contact Philips and try to get them to send you one, although I don't think it will help according to my research, if you do contact them do it via phone as they never responded to my email, I call them and they send me an update on the same day. Good luck.

Thanks! So I called Philips and they basically yelled at me that if I'm using an HDMI cable and the TV is 4K, then the computer is to blame. They said I was lying for saying the native resolution on Windows shows as 1080p. They wouldn't hear my explanations, no hello, no goodbye - the CS person was unknowledgeable. I won't buy another Philips set again! :D

Thanks! So I called Philips and they basically yelled at me that if I'm using an HDMI cable and the TV is 4K, then the computer is to blame. They said I was lying for saying the native resolution on Windows shows as 1080p. They wouldn't hear my explanations, no hello, no goodbye - the CS person was unknowledgeable. I won't buy another Philips set again! :D
That wasn't my experience tbh, it is worth mentioning that most of them are not technical and do not understand these specs, before they mentioned anything about my PC I prepared them with screen shots proving that the TV is outputting 1080p native, I also informed them that I had a high end PC and my 5 year old 4K TV display the corrective native resolution without any problems, they concluded that their TVs cannot work correctly as a PC screen, and I should return it or exchange it based on my return policy with the retailer, which I did. Good luck.

That wasn't my experience tbh, it is worth mentioning that most of them are not technical and do not understand these specs, before they mentioned anything about my PC I prepared them with screen shots proving that the TV is outputting 1080p native, I also informed them that I had a high end PC and my 5 year old 4K TV display the corrective native resolution without any problems, they concluded that their TVs cannot work correctly as a PC screen, and I should return it or exchange it based on my return policy with the retailer, which I did. Good luck.

I'm glad you had a better experience than I did!

What I noticed is that in spite of 1080p being shown as the native resolution, the active resolution signal shows as 2160p.

Only HDR is stuck on RGB 8Bits, so maybe everything's working all right after all!

Yes I believe your active resolution is 2160p as I have noticed with my previous Philips set, as for HDR it's not stuck at RGB 8bit, it's simply what it can handle because these sets are not real HDR sets, they can accept HDR signals but they remain an 8bit panels despite the label 8-bit + FRC, I concluded that in order to really enjoy HDR you must have a true 10 bit panel with enough peak brightness, otherwise HDR is just a gimmick in these sets, and they need to stop misleading the consumers by selling sets such as these offering apparently all the HDR formats with barely any peak brightness to enjoy HDR contents, consumers end up really disappointed when they experience HDR for the first time, they need to start labeling them and HDR ready as they did in the early days of flat TVs, this way people would understand the difference and make a decision how to choose their next TV set. Take care man.

Late to the party but I noticed the same on my Philips 58PUS6504/12. Nowhere in the EDID info does it even mention 3840 or 2160 (and for some reason it reports as a 65" screen).

I only stumbled on this thread as I was having HDR issues in games. Some work, others simply say something like 'non-HDR display connected'. I was putting it down to it not even being HDR400 certified, but digging around led me back to the resolution problem.

I'm not even sure why HDR works with some and not others but it's hard to pin down without another 4k HDR set to compare it with. Hell, it's barely HDR capable anyway so being able to enable it in every game would probably be little more than a placebo, but still.

I think I'm just going to return it to Argos (it's 70 quid less than when I bought it last week too!). Back to the drawing board.

HDMI 2.0 does not have the bandwidth for 4k at 10bit, 60hz and HDR. Choose any 2 from 3.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom