4K TV help for around £1K

annieee3

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to research best TV picture quality and all-round great 4K performer for around £1,000. I'm pretty overwhelmed by all the choices out there and would like to make a fairly future-proof purchase. Will be mainly using for movies and normal TV, Netflix, youtube etc. Would also be good if it had a decent set of integrated speakers to keep cost down.

Searching through other posts, I came accross these models:
Panasonic TX50CX802
Samsung UE48JU7000
Sony KD 55X8509C

Do any of these stand out as being better than the rest? Or is there another TV I should be looking at in your opinion? Just looking for some advice from which to start my search.

Thanks for your help!

Annie

Last edited by a moderator:
Any thoughts on the models above?

I'm also reading a lot of amazing reviews for the LG Oled 55EC930V and wondering if this is a better investment than 4K (although a bit more expensive)?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Going on what I have reviewed this year, you could look at the Panasonic CX700 and CX680 which are under £1000 and have everything you want above, including Freeview Play, Netflix 4K, Amazon 4k and You Tube 4K, plus HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, so you are fairly well future-proofed.
There are also a number of Samsung sets which offer the same type of features.
Have a look through our TV reviews for more help Reviews | AVForums

They are all pretty solid choices, to be fair, but if you're even considering a 55-inch then I would urge you to go for it; you've listed a 48-inch model as an option but I almost guarantee you would
end up regretting it if you have space for something larger and the budget allows.

Out of interest, what are the best prices you've got on the TVs you've listed and what's your budget?

Thanks Phil, I'll check out those models but the CX700 looks good. I guess you inevitably end up looking at features you probably don't need! I know I listed a Samsung but have historically felt the products are slightly cheaper looking - this may well have changed or maybe its all in the marketing!

Thanks for your recommendations also Mark. I think my family were unsure on size initially and I'd love a 55 inch but concerned maybe it will look too imposing. It's not a small room by any means but it will sit on a unit we have that is between a window and patio doors so could possibly encroach a bit. The size might also depend on the stand (if its the full width like the 'panasonic' style stand, it may not fit on the unit). Is there a big difference between a 50 and 55 inch 4k TV?

Panasonic Viera TX50CX802 = £1,169 (John Lewis) / TX55 = £1,529 (John Lewis)
Sony BRAVIA KD 55X8509C = £995 (Richer Sounds)
Samsung UE48JU7000 = £1,034 (John Lewis?)

LG 55EC930V OLED = £1,449 (John Lewis)

The budget would ideally be £1,200 but if we decided that little bit extra was worth it (like a 55inch or an OLED) maybe it could stretch to the prices above. Definitely don't want to have to buy extras like speakers etc. though!

We will need to go see them in the flesh eventually but it's great to have some advice from the experts/ owners.

What's your view on the curved OLED? I never would have searched out for a curved set but it does mean you can go that little bit bigger and save an inch or 2 on the width. Most of our seating is within the 70 degree angle they recommend.

We're all fairly agnostic about the curve although we'd probably all slightly prefer a flatty; it certainly adds little to nothing, especially at 55-inches, but then it doesn't have any major drawbacks. A plus point in your instance is that it obviously makes it a little less wide so you could perhaps have less protrusion. That's certainly a more than fair price for the LG OLED!

Thanks Mark, that's really helpful. I'm guessing from your answer you'd choose one of the flat 4K TV's I mentioned over the curved OLED?

I'm Captain Indecisive Ans, I would probably take a good 6 months over the decision, by which time something new would be out :)

But, I'm not sure I'd buy a TV that wasn't Ultra HD capable now.

Ans it's as if I had wrote this post, I have been mulling over the same TV's you mentioned, I had many demo's and did much reading and in the end plunged for the 55X8509C

It's been setup just over a day now and I'm really impressed with it and so far ( touchwood ) haven't found anything negative to say about it

Ahh ok Mark ;) - it's tricky to figure out the best time to buy one and I guess there will always be something better just around the corner! But thanks for all your advice. Is Ultra HD only available in the SUHD models? Sorry I'm a novice and not too sure if the models I mentioned have that capability or not?

Thanks, good to hear you've been happy with the Sony shefflad. They are a trustworthy brand in my opinion so I think it would be a safe bet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to update anyone choosing a 55" TV, I went to see these models today at a store. We were a little unimpressed with the Panasonic upscaling when compared to the Sony with HD content.

We actually ended up comparing the KD 55X8509C with a KD 55x9005C and felt the 9005C won out. They said the spec was identical but the contrast, blacks and definition look noticeably better.

Has anyone here bought the KD 55x9005C ? Having checked it out online there are some great reviews but I noticed on the forums people have been returning them because of bad light bleeding on the edges. Is this still considered a problem or was it just a faulty batch? Really don't want to have to return a brand new TV!

Thanks guys!

Just to muddy the waters a little. I definitely think there is a variance between the picture quality of a lot of these TVs and that is more important than the size tbh. I was in Richer Sounds yesterday and had a chance to compare similar Panasonic, Sony, and Samsung screens and for value for money I think the 48JU7000 is the one for me. Its picture quality was similar to TVs that were a lot dearer. My budget is lower than yours but my current view is I can't settle for anything less than this TV and will be waiting for its price to drop before making the leap. Admittedly, the Sony I was comparing it to was a little cheaper but the niggle for me is the number of people complaining about the Android on the Sony Communities I would be daft to go out and buy one. I can't buy a TV and tell the family they might have to power it down at the wall a couple of times a week. I definitely would recommend having a look at the Samsung. And this is coming from someone who's has never had anything made by Samsung in his life :)

Thanks akonline for your advice.

I think you must be right about the difference between sets and of course the viewing conditions are bound to play a part too! That's interesting you went for the Samsung though. I didn't look at them for too long as the shop staff were too busy bigging up sony and panasonic. We ended up just being drawn to the Sony but I'm still concerned about the reviews.

The android platform, though annoying we could probably live with as we have Sky HD anyway so would only really utilise Netflix app regularly. What's that about powering it down though?

It's a very confusing task searching for the right TV. And with this whole black friday/ cyber monday its panicking me into thinking the good ones are all going to sell out (silly I know)!

You can only go by what is put in front of you but in JL I was told the same. I went in heart set on a Sony or Panasonic and then similarly when I went into RS this week but in RS they had all the TVs in close quarters and the Samsung clearly had the best picture at a price point more than I wanted to pay unfortunately. My father in law has bought the £700 Panasonic a week of so again so that is the only one I have really been able to play with all the settings on and I am just not 100% happy with it and I can't spend this much money to have regrets as soon as I get it home.
Regards the Sony / Android problems you need to at least have a look at Sony Community Forums. It may be disproportionate but there are a lot of people saying they wouldn't touch and that has convinced me.

Oh gosh, if only I'd seen your message sooner! I've just been through the Sony Forums and it certainly doesn't look good.

Unfortunately we already placed an order for the 9005c from Richer Sounds. It seemed the best for our budget and is down £200 from original Sale price. It would have been nice to check out the samsung models you have pointed out but we didn't have time to go out and see the other options available. Looks like we will have to sit tight, watch out for the problems reported and return it if necessary.

But thanks for the heads up. At least I'll be prepared if it all goes downhill!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom