4K tv for Xbox X

Thanks all,
Will take a look, guess I need to set a budget but from just looking there's a huge range with a huge range of features !

im contemplating this, its literally so i can have a tv for the xbox one x while im on lockdown

is it worth it, or is a better tv available on a budget, would 65 inch be overkill?

im contemplating this, its literally so i can have a tv for the xbox one x while im on lockdown

is it worth it, or is a better tv available on a budget, would 65 inch be overkill?

How far away are you sitting to game ?
65" is a BIG set !!

I picked up one of these when I upgraded an old 720p Sony Bravia in the conservatory, connected to my X it looks stunning :cool:

Buy LG 43 Inch 43UM7000 Smart UHD 4K LED TV | Televisions | Argos

My seating is about 6ft away from the screen.

Bargain at only £279 IMO

i know 65 inch is big, im unsure how close i will be - i could be some distance

55 inch was my original choice, but the 65 was only a hundred quid more

i know 65 inch is big, im unsure how close i will be - i could be some distance

55 inch was my original choice, but the 65 was only a hundred quid more

I sit about 10ft away from my 55" in the lounge.

What sort of distance are you currently sat at ? What size at the moment ?

at the moment i have a 43 which is the main living room set,
i need to go a bit more self isolated after work - so i will have a room with a tv basically... so i can sit further away if needed.

at the moment i have a 43 which is the main living room set,
i need to go a bit more self isolated after work - so i will have a room with a tv basically... so i can sit further away if needed.

Squeeze a set of these into ya budget for "total isolation" !!

I can't hear the misses, kids or dog when I game now :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Squeeze a set of these into ya budget for "total isolation" !!

I can't hear the misses, kids or dog when I game now :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

thats more or less what i have

im now looking at this

thats more or less what i have

im now looking at this

I guess it's just a case of buying the biggest you can with your budget, make sure it's 4k HDR certified and job's a good'n :thumbsup:

Some folks will say "that set hasn't got this" or it's not "that great for this", blah blah blah.

It's your dosh, it's your budget, go LARGE or go home ;)

Right folks. I'm going round in circles, so any thoughts greatly appreciated! I'd like to replace the existing 1080p 43 inch Sony TV in the games room. Space is tight and it is only used for streaming and gaming (with the odd National League footy match - frankly they are best watched at the lowest resolution possible). I had a shortlist of three:

Sony Bravia KD43XH8196

Samsung UE43TU8000

LG 43UN81006LB

But there is a chance I could squeeze a 49 inch in and get away with it (insert gag here about the Entertainment Prevention Officer not knowing 6 inches when she sees it), so would it be worth going to a:

Sony Bravia KD49XH9505

Which is a bit out of budget and likely to be somewhat controversial for the reasons outlined above.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Right folks. I'm going round in circles, so any thoughts greatly appreciated! I'd like to replace the existing 1080p 43 inch Sony TV in the games room. Space is tight and it is only used for streaming and gaming (with the odd National League footy match - frankly they are best watched at the lowest resolution possible). I had a shortlist of three:

Sony Bravia KD43XH8196

Samsung UE43TU8000

LG 43UN81006LB

But there is a chance I could squeeze a 49 inch in and get away with it (insert gag here about the Entertainment Prevention Officer not knowing 6 inches when she sees it), so would it be worth going to a:

Sony Bravia KD49XH9505

Which is a bit out of budget and likely to be somewhat controversial for the reasons outlined above.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Of your options I'd 100% no questions asked go for the Sony H9505. Its the only premium TV out of those and will deliver superb HDR. The others simply aren't HDR sets really - they are advertised as such but don't have the peak brightness to do the format any justice - its a bit like a TV accepting a 4K signal but only being able to display HD.

The best TV's around are the LG OLED's and the 48" version of those are around £1400 ish - the Sony is probably the best around that sort of budget. The Samsung QLED Q80T is also good and the same price I think but also £999.

If it was me - buying a premium set for the sake of a few hundred quid more is worth it because you future proof yourself and also stop yourself buying another one a few years later.

Also don't go smaller than 49" - smaller sets nowadays are the cheapo versions - even the QLED I mention above peak brightness on the same model is lower on the smaller screen.

Of your options I'd 100% no questions asked go for the Sony H9505. Its the only premium TV out of those and will deliver superb HDR. The others simply aren't HDR sets really - they are advertised as such but don't have the peak brightness to do the format any justice - its a bit like a TV accepting a 4K signal but only being able to display HD.

The best TV's around are the LG OLED's and the 48" version of those are around £1400 ish - the Sony is probably the best around that sort of budget. The Samsung QLED Q80T is also good and the same price I think but also £999.

If it was me - buying a premium set for the sake of a few hundred quid more is worth it because you future proof yourself and also stop yourself buying another one a few years later.

Also don't go smaller than 49" - smaller sets nowadays are the cheapo versions - even the QLED I mention above peak brightness on the same model is lower on the smaller screen.

Cheers. My one concern with the H9505 is that it doesn't have HDMI 2.1, which may be slightly limiting with the Series X in future.

Cheers. My one concern with the H9505 is that it doesn't have HDMI 2.1, which may be slightly limiting with the Series X in future.

I look at it this way - what you miss is VRR and 4K at 120. But no games will run 4K120 (or very very few) - so you can easily this gen go with HDMI 2.0 1080/120.

VRR is arguably a miss - but the other TV's you have there aren't HDMI 2.1. And you know what - if you want 2.1 to my knowledge you have to buy a 55" TV. I don't think the smaller models are 2.1 - BUT someone could correct me. I'm sure the 55" of the H9505 is 2.1 though....

The best TV's around are the LG OLED's?

No they're not. The best are the Panasonic's.

If you really need them?

End of the day any OLED will be amazing but the LG feature probably make them the best for gaming. Overall. But yeah Panasonic motion stuff is better for movies etc...

If you really need them?

you need it for 4k and frame rates above 60fps (up to 120fps) and Full 10bit 4:4:4 4k 60+. May need it for VRR, eARC (lossless Audio pass through inc Dolby Atmos, eARC), Auto Low Latency Mode etc.

There is a reason that both Sony and Microsoft are going with HDMI2.1 for their next gen hardware and whilst HDMI 2.0 may well offer 4k/60 HDR (not 4:4:4 10bit) and some even VRR (45-60fps), you are not getting everything the new consoles will offer. You have to settle for 4:2:2 or even 4:2:0 because HDMI2.0 doesn't have the bandwidth. Games like Gears 5, Dirt 5, Ori, Call of Duty, Falconeer, Halo Infinite, Second Extinction, Rainbow Six Seige etc are offering 120fps but you will be limited to 60fps options without HDMI2.1.

VRR allows Devs to target or lock to any Frame Rate essentially. If 120fps is 'too' much, they could opt for 100fps and the TV will sync with games and refresh at 100hz.

HDMI2.1 is as much about increasing the bandwidth to allow up to 120 4k full RGB 10bit (and even 12bit - although some TV's seem to be limited to 40Gb/s which is fine for 10bit panel TV's) HDR images per second to get from the console to the screen. There are other features too that are more geared towards gaming but without HDMI2.0, you will miss out on.

Not to say you 'need' HDMI2.1 or your new next gen consoles won't work - but you will need HDMI 2.1 IF you want to play games at 4k/120, play at full RGB 10bit HDR and take advantage of other gaming features that HDMI2.1 offers.

If you really need them?

Maybe not today, but if I’m spending £1400 or whatever on a fancy OLED then I want all four hdmi to be 2.1, it just makes sense to future proof if possible as I’m going to have the tele a long time, my current 1080p screen is still going strong after 8 years or so, I’m not buying new screens every three years.

Getting a model with multiple 2.1 ports is also useful if you have a decent pc, those are likely to be able to hit 4K 120fps more readily than consoles so it’s nice to have the option to use an adavanced tele as a big screen monitor.

you need it for 4k and frame rates above 60fps (up to 120fps) and Full 10bit 4:4:4 4k 60+. May need it for VRR, eARC (lossless Audio pass through inc Dolby Atmos, eARC), Auto Low Latency Mode etc.

There is a reason that both Sony and Microsoft are going with HDMI2.1 for their next gen hardware and whilst HDMI 2.0 may well offer 4k/60 HDR (not 4:4:4 10bit) and some even VRR (45-60fps), you are not getting everything the new consoles will offer. You have to settle for 4:2:2 or even 4:2:0 because HDMI2.0 doesn't have the bandwidth. Games like Gears 5, Dirt 5, Ori, Call of Duty, Falconeer, Halo Infinite, Second Extinction, Rainbow Six Seige etc are offering 120fps but you will be limited to 60fps options without HDMI2.1.

VRR allows Devs to target or lock to any Frame Rate essentially. If 120fps is 'too' much, they could opt for 100fps and the TV will sync with games and refresh at 100hz.

HDMI2.1 is as much about increasing the bandwidth to allow up to 120 4k full RGB 10bit (and even 12bit - although some TV's seem to be limited to 40Gb/s which is fine for 10bit panel TV's) HDR images per second to get from the console to the screen. There are other features too that are more geared towards gaming but without HDMI2.0, you will miss out on.

Not to say you 'need' HDMI2.1 or your new next gen consoles won't work - but you will need HDMI 2.1 IF you want to play games at 4k/120, play at full RGB 10bit HDR and take advantage of other gaming features that HDMI2.1 offers.
I think 4k 120 will be mega rare , 1440p 120fps maybe which hdmi 2.0 will be ok.

I think 4k 120 will be mega rare , 1440p 120fps maybe which hdmi 2.0 will be ok.

Whether 4k is rare or not, just because the game may run at a 'lower' resolution, doesn't mean the game will be outputting to the TV at a 'lower' resolution. There are games that are running at 4k and with techniques like CB rendering for example, they could be reconstructing a 4k image which WILL need a HDMI 2.1 port to work. The Series X won't let you pick 120hz if your TV won't accept it and, if you can opt for lower resolutions, will have to go into the settings and turn down the output resolution to enable 120hz - assuming the game will let you select 120hz modes even then...

The only game I know of at 1440/120 so far is Dirt 5 but there are a few at 4k and I wouldn't be surprised if we see more as the generation goes on. Devs will get better at optimising, engines will get better and more streamlined and use techniques like CB rendering, Variable Rate Shading maybe even Machine Learning upscaling (like DLSS) etc, Mesh Shading etc. Look at Battlefield 4 and the way Frostbite engine games were able to get better visuals at higher resolutions and more consistent frame rates on a Base XB1...

An Xbox One S can output at 4k regardless of what the resolution the game is running at. You can use your console to upscale to 4k if you want and your TV will be 'receiving' a 4k image. If the output is set at 4k, regardless of what resolution the game is running at, the console is sending a 4k image and to get 120fps, you will need a HDMI 2.1 port.

You also need a display that can actually accept 120hz and display at 120hz - not some fake method of simulating 240, 360 or 480hz as they claim.

I really do not see why you want to settle for HDMI 2.0, miss out on features that HDMI2.1 offers when there are TV's on the market offering HDMI2.1. I guess if you want to upgrade a few years later when there is more choice, maybe but most buy for more than a few years. It seems odd to me to want a HDMI 2.0 TV for 'next gen' gaming and BOTH consoles coming with HDMI 2.1 and HDMI 2.1 features that games will utilise...

Whether 4k is rare or not, just because the game may run at a 'lower' resolution, doesn't mean the game will be outputting to the TV at a 'lower' resolution. There are games that are running at 4k and with techniques like CB rendering for example, they could be reconstructing a 4k image which WILL need a HDMI 2.1 port to work. The Series X won't let you pick 120hz if your TV won't accept it and, if you can opt for lower resolutions, will have to go into the settings and turn down the output resolution to enable 120hz - assuming the game will let you select 120hz modes even then...

The only game I know of at 1440/120 so far is Dirt 5 but there are a few at 4k and I wouldn't be surprised if we see more as the generation goes on. Devs will get better at optimising, engines will get better and more streamlined and use techniques like CB rendering, Variable Rate Shading maybe even Machine Learning upscaling (like DLSS) etc, Mesh Shading etc. Look at Battlefield 4 and the way Frostbite engine games were able to get better visuals at higher resolutions and more consistent frame rates on a Base XB1...

An Xbox One S can output at 4k regardless of what the resolution the game is running at. You can use your console to upscale to 4k if you want and your TV will be 'receiving' a 4k image. If the output is set at 4k, regardless of what resolution the game is running at, the console is sending a 4k image and to get 120fps, you will need a HDMI 2.1 port.

You also need a display that can actually accept 120hz and display at 120hz - not some fake method of simulating 240, 360 or 480hz as they claim.

I really do not see why you want to settle for HDMI 2.0, miss out on features that HDMI2.1 offers when there are TV's on the market offering HDMI2.1. I guess if you want to upgrade a few years later when there is more choice, maybe but most buy for more than a few years. It seems odd to me to want a HDMI 2.0 TV for 'next gen' gaming and BOTH consoles coming with HDMI 2.1 and HDMI 2.1 features that games will utilise...
I said 4k120 , as in 120fps will be rare if ever the 120fps games will probably be 1440p or lower.

I said 4k120 , as in 120fps will be rare if ever the 120fps games will probably be 1440p or lower.

And as I explained, whether its 'Native' 4k or not, you will need HDMI2.1 to output at 4k. The console can and will upscale to 4k so you are STILL sending a 4k image that STILL needs HDMI2.1 to send to your TV. 4k reconstruction can ALSO be used (like 4K Chequerboard) which is STILL a 4k image and STILL needs HDMI2.1. Games could also have 1800p or even target 100fps and you will still NEED HDMI 2.1.

Regardless - without HDMI2.1, you are using Limited colour at 4k/60 HDR, cannot do ANY frame rate at 4k above 60fps and with VRR, they don't have to lock to 120fps, they can lock to 90fps, lock to 100fps - VRR will sync the TV to the refresh rate so you get the 'benefits' of higher frame rates without Screen Tear or Judder because your TV is out of sync with the games Frame Rate. VRR is really a HDMI 2.1 feature and works for games running at 45fps up to 120fps.

Devs may well be hitting 1440/120 now - but with more understanding of the hardware, better and more streamlined engines etc, they could hit 1800p, maybe even 4k - especially with VRS. Using CB rendering, they could offer 4k/120 too so you will still need HDMI.2.1. With CB rendering, they are only rendering half the frame size every frame and using old frames to construct a 4k image - a little more costly than 1440p but 'cheaper' than native 4k but STILL NEED a HDMI2.1 enabled TV.

Point is, it doesn't matter what the console actually renders 'per' frame, its what the console sends to the TV that 'matters' and the Console will send a 4k/120 image BUT only if you have HDMI2.1 and that's NOT the only benefit of HDMI2.1 the TV offers either...

EDIT: and you also need to find a TV with 120hz panel to get 120fps regardless and the vast majority are built with 60hz as that is what the most they will be used for. Very few (if any) TV's will accept 120hz at all - even if in theory, HDMI 2.0 is enough for 1080 or even 1440 at 120fps. The TV is not built or able to accept more than 60fps and have to look to PC monitors instead.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom