4K tv for Xbox X

ZicoUK

@BAMozzy thanks for the response.

To add a little clarity to my earlier post, I already have an XB1X, in fact I also have a Scorpio edition from day one of the release. I've been neglecting the XB1X for all this time. Before that, I had no 4K source (went from XB360 skipping past the XB1/S to the X) so 1080p was fine with DVD and Sky HD (1080i at the time of being subbed).

I could afford to go with something like the Sony 2019 XG9005 or OLED equivalent but my current living arrangements make things hardly conducive for a relaxed viewing experience. I could get Dolby Atmos sound system to go with a TV but again it just wouldn't be the right time to spend the money now (instead I have some Dolby Atmos headphones that were economic for the current circumstances).

Effectively, if going from the UE32H5500 to say the Hisense 43A6200 (no HDR, just 4K) would be a basic improvement purely for the resolution bump (and the few extra inches) then for £260 now, I would be able to jump up to the next level HDR / 8K TV in a few years’ time when it's worth my time in getting the best I can afford at the time for the (hopefully) better living arrangements.

ZicoUK

I would look deep into reviews of the the sets to check they have a 10 bit panel for the HDR and what the peak brightness is. alot of cheaper sets are 8bit and for a bit more the next model up might have a 10 bit panel
All of the Hisense set's I've listed are 8 bit + FRC panels.

Last November I was looking to get the Sony XF9005 but similar to my reasons now, It wasn't worth the ~£850 price at the time for the environment it would have been in.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
So it turns out the Sony 40" TV I purchased from John Lewis a few years back can't be repaired so John Lewis are giving me £400 to spend with them to get a new TV. They will refund but would like to go with them again as they have been excellent so far.

So could I potentially get a decent 4K TV for around £400 or should I be looking at replacing like for like.

It's currently a 1080p 40" with no HDR fancyness or anything.

Should I be looking at something like this

Sony Bravia KDL43WF663 LED HDR Full HD 1080p Smart TV, 43" with Freeview Play & Cable Management, Black at John Lewis & Partners

Or looking at a 4K TV to go along with the One X

Any suggestions ?

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
So it turns out the Sony 40" TV I purchased from John Lewis a few years back can't be repaired so John Lewis are giving me £400 to spend with them to get a new TV. They will refund but would like to go with them again as they have been excellent so far.

So could I potentially get a decent 4K TV for around £400 or should I be looking at replacing like for like.

It's currently a 1080p 40" with no HDR fancyness or anything.

Should I be looking at something like this

Sony Bravia KDL43WF663 LED HDR Full HD 1080p Smart TV, 43" with Freeview Play & Cable Management, Black at John Lewis & Partners

Or looking at a 4K TV to go along with the One X

Any suggestions ?
If it was me, then i'd certainly be looking to upgrade to a 4k HDR TV as IMO the extra resolution and HDR adds a lot to the experience. I've seen clearance LG 55" OLED's going for around the £1k mark of late, so I guess it comes down to whether you are looking to just pay the £400 they are offering, or whether you can also stump up some extra cash as well. To be honest i've not been keeping up with TV deals much of late, but I would guess that you should be able to get a fairly decent 40" 4KHDR LCD set for around the £400 mark.

Of course when you go down to screen sizes of say 40", you are unlikely to get much benefit from 4K (unless you're sat really close), but for me, good HDR can make a significant improvement to the viewing experience.

Indiana Jones

HDR is IMO definitely of more benefit that the extra resolution especially at that size but unless things have changed drastically in the last year I doubt you will find a set with good HDR for £400, there will be plenty that support it but this isn't the same thing.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
If it was me, then i'd certainly be looking to upgrade to a 4k HDR TV as IMO the extra resolution and HDR adds a lot to the experience. I've seen clearance LG 55" OLED's going for around the £1k mark of late, so I guess it comes down to whether you are looking to just pay the £400 they are offering, or whether you can also stump up some extra cash as well. To be honest i've not been keeping up with TV deals much of late, but I would guess that you should be able to get a fairly decent 40" 4KHDR LCD set for around the £400 mark.

Of course when you go down to screen sizes of say 40", you are unlikely to get much benefit from 4K (unless you're sat really close), but for me, good HDR can make a significant improvement to the viewing experience.
It's to replace the TV in the games room so wouldn't be looking for something much bigger than 40" so the Sony I linked to above might be the best option as the others that are 4K don't get great reviews. Not fussed on 4K as it will be a small screen and maybe HDR would be the better option. Could add a little bit to the budget but would be £100 at most.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
It's to replace the TV in the games room so wouldn't be looking for something much bigger than 40" so the Sony I linked to above might be the best option as the others that are 4K don't get great reviews. Not fussed on 4K as it will be a small screen and maybe HDR would be the better option. Could add a little bit to the budget but would be £100 at most.
There is no 40 inch TV that does hdr justice, the smallest you can get a TV that will actually display hdr how it's meant to be seen is around 49 inch I think, maybe even 55 inch now, if it's just for the games room I'd take the cash and buy a decent 2nd hand panel from here that still has warranty instead

King Tones

Distinguished Member
There is no 40 inch TV that does hdr justice, the smallest you can get a TV that will actually display hdr how it's meant to be seen is around 49 inch I think, maybe even 55 inch now, if it's just for the games room I'd take the cash and buy a decent 2nd hand panel from here that still has warranty instead
Thanks for the info. Not looked at TV's since I got this one.
My other option would be to take the money and get a monitor for the games room instead...

Kind of wished they just repaired or replaced it like for like. Save me having to make decisions.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the info. Not looked at TV's since I got this one.
My other option would be to take the money and get a monitor for the games room instead...

Kind of wished they just repaired or replaced it like for like. Save me having to make decisions.
What games/console are going to be played on it? If it's purely for gaming then yes a monitor may be better but you have to spend big to get one that does hdr justice again, nearly all 4k tv's say they support hdr, but supporting it and displaying it how it should be displayed are 2 different things

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
I've been keeping tabs on TVs for a while now as it'll be my first purchase once house is finally sold as the final piece in the divorce jigsaw and I can get my chunk of the cash to sort a new place to live. I'm still using my 1080p Sony I've had years, which has been a great TV but I fully intend getting something future proofed with decent for 4k and HDR, but you're looking at £1k plus really. My main use will be gaming which rules out OLED for me as burn in risk too great and I'm most likely going for one of the 2019 LG Nano Cell range as they tick all tye boxes I need and have HDMI 2.1 so many benefits for gaming like VRR and auto low latency mode etc. The 55 inch Sm9000 is circa £1300 and expect some deals by the time I can actually get one.

In your situation with £400/500 all sets will refer to HDR as a selling point, but won't cut it in most cases and often HDR on a poor set can apparently look worse than SDR as can't do it justice so adjusts brightness levels to compensate for inadequacies causing other issues, so pointless. With that focus on image quality mainly and as for games rokm input lag as some lower end sets might be really bad on this front.

Some TCL sets review incredibly well for their price range with specs and performance comparable to much dearer TVs so they may be worth checking out. I think it's the 6 series currently out and getting rave reviews.

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member

King Tones

Distinguished Member
So I have narrowed it down to 2 TV's and I know they are not the greatest but seem decent for the Money.
My idea is that I get this to replace the current 1080p Sony to tie me over as I don't have much money to upgrade. Get 5 years cover with John Lewis and then start looking at how I want the games room setup and maybe look at a Monitor for later on in the year and then stick this TV in the Bedroom.
Was looking at upgrading the TV downstairs and sticking my 46" Samsung in the games room but with a 2 year old and crayons on that TV I don't fancy spending much for it to get marked. At the moment as it's 6 Years old I don't mind the hand marks and crayon marks. When she is older then I will look at a 4K TV 50"+.

Is there much between these 2 ?

Samsung UE43RU7100 (2019) HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 43" with TVPlus, Charcoal Black at John Lewis & Partners

Samsung UE43RU7400 (2019) HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 43" with TVPlus, Titan Gray at John Lewis & Partners

For the time being this will be hooked up to a Xbox One X and PS4 Slim (which rarely gets used)

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
The hisense models from last year like the a6200 got very well reviewed, great for sdr, limited for hdr, that tv got a 9/10 review on here, bang for buck they can't be beaten, why not look at their current crop of tv's, John Lewis sell them so you're covered on the warranty front.
Edit: or if you can accomodate the size something like this from the classifieds that hits hdr premium specification for not alot of money
For Sale - Samsung UE55KS7000

King Tones

Distinguished Member
The hisense models from last year like the a6200 got very well reviewed, great for sdr, limited for hdr, that tv got a 9/10 review on here, bang for buck they can't be beaten, why not look at their current crop of tv's, John Lewis sell them so you're covered on the warranty front.
Edit: or if you can accomodate the size something like this from the classifieds that hits hdr premium specification for not alot of money
For Sale - Samsung UE55KS7000
I think a 55" in the games room would be pushing it, would have to hang out the window to see the whole screen haha

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
I think a 55" in the games room would be pushing it, would have to hang out the window to see the whole screen haha
I have a 58dx902 in the bedroom, a 55 inch in a dedicated games room is a minimum size i would want personally, I used to game on a 120 inch projector setup from about 8ft away, now that was epic, the 55 ks7000 I linked too will still be better than 95 percent of tv's for sale today, great input lag and easily hits over 1000 nits for decent hdr

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Well looks like the RU7100 has a great rating for Input Lag so that's a bonus.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Grabbed a new TV over the weekend and went for the Samsung RU7100 and impressed so far. Not tried the Xbox on it yet as I only had a chance to set it up and do software updates and have a quick look at the Smart Hub. Everything is setup ready to go though and ensured settings were game mode and HDR enabled and just need to tweak some HDR and SDR Settings and then load up the Xbox.
Love how it automatically detected it had an Xbox One and PS4 Connected and set them all to Game Mode automatically.

Just need to load up a game to show it off.
Very happy with the service from John Lewis.

TUBBST4R

I had my very first 4K HDR tv just after Horizon Zero Dawn was released and opted for a 43" LG (my previous 3D non 4k was only 42" so this was a size upgrade too) I agree with most posts on here that whilst 4k is a nice thing to have the HDR made the biggest difference, HZD which was the only thing I had to show off the TV at the time looked incredible with vibrant popping colours and vistas. A year ago I found a Sony 55" cheap at work, never been out of the box and snapped it up before any colleagues spotted it ;) but it was the entry model of their range at the time and after a months I could tell. despite the fact it was bigger it wasn't a patch on my previous LG so I've kinda tolerated it for a year and then bit the bullet and got myself another LG (55UM6470) but kept at 55" Sold the Sony and even profited so the LG cost me just under £95.

The difference is massively noticeable and the colours just pop off the screen, the Sony had very poor viewing angles, the motion at times on normal tv looking awful for fast moving images and it didn't do the HDR anywhere near as good as the LG does, in my heart of hearts I knew I'd let my judgement be clouded by a bargain price rather than quality and instantly knew the Sony was nowhere near as good as my LG 43" but I couldn't admit it to the wife as I'd convinced her to buy it for us :D With hindsight I should've known with it being an entry level but my male brain was just thinking 'bigger is better, bigger is better' but it truly wasn't. It just goes to show what a minefield it can be when buying a tv as you want to show off your consoles the best you can and you have to apply a bit more thought to it rather than 'bigger is better'

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
Finally got a new TV which I've been debating and changing my mind on for months. Originally was waiting until I move, but realised I could fit a 55inch where my Sony is now so decided I'd grab a black Friday deal.

Got a bargain Q90R for £1499 with a free soundbar. The deal driven by Samsung was with a HWq70 soundbar but when I called Richer Sounds they didn't have that bar in stock anymore so said I could have the HWQ80 bar instead.....result as thats £250 dearer than the lower model and itself retails at £999.

They've been delivered today so will be busy later clearing my old TV and surround set up and getting it all up and running. Can't wait to check out some 4k games on it

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
Didn't get the TV set up until stupidly late last night as had a few things to sort out and when I did crack on with it my existing 5.1 system wiring was a nightmare to sort out as tangled up with millions of other cables behind my TV unit. Got there in the end though but not spent too much time on it, but have watched some 4k vids on youtube and the image quality out of the box is ridiculously good. Then played some Forza Horizon 4 and it was superb. Very happy with it.

Will get the soundbar rigged up tonight hopefully then will be completely sorted. At some point with probably grab the wireless speaker kit you can get for that to make it a more comprehensive Atmos set up with 7.1.2.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Now looking at monitors after having to convert the games room into a home office for me and the wife. Desk setup today and work moniter setup but can't connect xbox. Like the setup I have now with the desk so tempted in sticking the TV in the bedroom and getting a monitor. No idea what to look for though.
The work monitor only has DVI and Display port so was tempted in trying it out first as I do like the big TV screen...

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
I think you would need to find a Freesync monitor with HDMI inputs though....

BAMozzy

Distinguished Member
Plenty on the AMD list.
That's cool - I was merely trying to advise King Tones to look for one with HDMI inputs...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett