Question 4k TV for mostly PS5 Gaming (£1300 or less)

Solidito

Novice Member
New post -

I've now decided I can spend up to £1300 as I'd rather have a tv for long term. It's going to be mainly used for gaming on the PS5 and in a room that gets sunlight in the day and a light is generally on at night. Hdmi 2.1 port is preferable and I'd like good HDR.

From what I've looked at, it comes down to Q80T vs Q90T vs LG CX. The CX looks the best to me, but the potential burn in (minimal chance but still), and issues with a lit room put me off of it.

The Q80T is a lot cheaper and might be good enough for what I need, though for a little bit extra I can get the Q90T which seems to be a lot better.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks

Old post - Hi, I'm looking for a 4k TV for £450 or less, I might be able to manage a little bit more than that but I'd prefer not to. I would prefer it to have HDR (or as good as you're going to get in this price bracket, might not be worth it). Don't have a size preference.

The TV will be used with one single viewing angle (directly sat in front), and in a room which is mostly lit up. It'll be used mainly for gaming on a PS5, although tv might be watched on it occasionally.

I looked through some threads on these forums and one that seems to be recommended a lot for this price bracket is HISENSE 50U7QFTUK - HISENSE 50U7QFTUK 50” Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR QLED TV with Amazon Alexa

I think the TV looks great, but I've heard it has big issues with motion blur (or blur in general) when gaming, also I saw a video on youtube which showed the issue. Is this something that is going to be expected from any TV that is in this price bracket?

Saving for a more expensive TV isn't possible for over a year so I need something for the meantime that would look good enough.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

You just can't tell until you own the TV. The Hisense shouldn't have more blur than any other 50" TV using a VA type panel. Buy from a reputable retailer so you can return the TV if you are unhappy.

If you know you are susceptible to blur from prior experience, then you should consider getting a TV with an IPS panel instead like 49" LGs.

Solidito

Novice Member
You just can't tell until you own the TV. The Hisense shouldn't have more blur than any other 50" TV using a VA type panel. Buy from a reputable retailer so you can return the TV if you are unhappy.

If you know you are susceptible to blur from prior experience, then you should consider getting a TV with an IPS panel instead like 49" LGs.

Thanks, sorry about the late reply, been reviewing my options.

Not sure whether to make a new post entirely but my budget has changed drastically.

I've now decided I can spent up to £1300 as I'd rather have a tv for long term. It's going to be mainly used for gaming on the PS5 and in a room that gets sunlight in the day and a light is generally on at night. Hdmi 2.1 port is preferable and I'd like good HDR.

From what I've looked at, it comes down to Q80T vs Q90T vs LG CX. The CX looks the best to me, but the potential burn in (minimal chance but still), and issues with a lit room put me off of it.

The Q80T is a lot cheaper and might be good enough for what I need, though for a little bit extra I can get the Q90T which seems to be a lot better.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks

Dodgexander

I'd go for the Q85T or Q90T since they come with the superior anti glare filter.

The Q80T which is well reviewed online at websites like rtings.com is a different version from the TV sold in Europe. In Europe the Q85T is more similar.

The Q90T would of course be even better, and should give you a nice boost with picture quality when using HDR.

Also consider the Sony XH9505 which has recently been reduced and represents better value than the Samsung models. Its anti glare isn't quite as good as the Q85T or Q90T but its still a lot better than the Q80T.

The LG CX probably isn't suited to you really if you are going to always use in light conditions. Not because it can't cope, but because you are spending more money but negating one of the main benefits of owning an OLED; better blacks.

Solidito

Novice Member
I'd go for the Q85T or Q90T since they come with the superior anti glare filter.

The Q80T which is well reviewed online at websites like rtings.com is a different version from the TV sold in Europe. In Europe the Q85T is more similar.

The Q90T would of course be even better, and should give you a nice boost with picture quality when using HDR.

Also consider the Sony XH9505 which has recently been reduced and represents better value than the Samsung models. Its anti glare isn't quite as good as the Q85T or Q90T but its still a lot better than the Q80T.

The LG CX probably isn't suited to you really if you are going to always use in light conditions. Not because it can't cope, but because you are spending more money but negating one of the main benefits of owning an OLED; better blacks.

I'll look into the Sony tv, I previously hadn't looked at it at all, thanks.

Also in terms of brightness for my room, I say it is well lit, but i'm not sure if it counts. Here's an image showing the room -
The tv will be on the side closest to the camera of the bedside cabinet facing the camera itself (so the bright window will be behind the tv (and it has a blind that can be pulled shut).

The windows all have blinds so I can make my room dark enough. I won't lie, I do like the sound of the CX the most but the risk of burn in (when I do game it'll be for a lot of hours in multiple sittings when a new game comes out on the PS5, but there will also be periods of time where I don't touch the TV at all for a month or so (inbetween releases). Also I've read it has issues with some 30 fps games (stuttering, older games especially).

Also a slightly different question while I'm here, is it worth waiting till black friday specifically for a better deal? Obviously waiting till next year would be best idealy but I will be needing to buy a tv this month.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Well OLED brings more to the table than only better blacks. There's no motion blur compared to LCD TVs, better viewing angles and the HDMI connectivity is more future proof than Samsung with 4x HDMI 2.1 ports instead of only 1.

I don't think it will be too dim for your conditions, its just by getting an OLED and using it in bright conditions you negate the superior blacks, but also won't witness poorer blacks on a cheaper LCD TV, so it probably make sense to go with an LCD TV instead from a value for money perspective.

Of course if you judge on current prices where Samsung TVs like the Q85T and Q90T are still overpriced compared to the Sony XH9505 it makes the OLEDs look better deals, but in truth its only because currently the Samsung models are overpriced.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom