4K TV buying advice

D

Deleted member

Hi, looking for some advice as to what TV to get please with the following specs:
  • HDR
  • 10bit panel
  • Response time low enough for FPS
  • Not fussed about sound quality as will be connecting to a 5.1 system
  • Size probably c.49"
  • Price up to c.£800
I currently have a 32" Samsung and love it but need 4K as will be buying the Xbox One X when it comes out. I've always had Samsungs and love them, although would be open to other suggestions. I do like the ease of use with the Samsung and have heard the same can't be said for other brands?

Had my eye on KS8000 or KS9000 although finding them difficult to find to buy and wondering if there are better options given they're over a year old now? Have seen the KS9000 brand new for £929 or ex-display for £749. I'm cautious at buying ex-display - anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Had my eye on KS8000 or KS9000 although finding them difficult to find to buy and wondering if there are better options given they're over a year old now?

No, because they're a year old. Prices in the TV market start high and reduce until they get discontinued. Newer models that are only half a year old don't have anywhere near the discount of those ones yet.

This is just the time of year where most of the old ones have sold out and the new ones haven't gotten close to matching their clearance prices. This time last year the KS8000 was £1250 and the KS9000 £1350-1400.

You're looking at a similar amount right now for a good HDR implementation, a Sony XE90 or Samsung Q7. Samsung have gone for better quality rather than lower price, but the Sony is quite a bit cheaper than last year's cheapest HDR offering from Sony, the XD93.

A 10-bit panel doesn't make a significant difference to HDR performance, the hardware side of the technology is (almost) all about the backlight.

I do like the ease of use with the Samsung and have heard the same can't be said for other brands?

It's one of those things where there's lot of contradictory opinions on. I suspect a part of it is whether people are judging ease of use based on how easy it is to find things or how quick it is to use common functions, two completely different things.

What is it specifically that you like about Tizen (Samsung's Smart TV system)?

Dodgexander

Nothing is comparative to those models for value now really, they only became close your budget as they are heavily reduced. This years models with HDR equivalent are considerably more expensive. You will find they come down in price as time goes on though. So pick up a KS series if you still can, or wait for the others to be reduced!

D

Deleted member

You're looking at a similar amount right now for a good HDR implementation, a Sony XE90 or Samsung Q7. Samsung have gone for better quality rather than lower price, but the Sony is quite a bit cheaper than last year's cheapest HDR offering from Sony, the XD93
Would you rate any of those better than the ks8000/9000? I can hold off buying until late October so hopefully they may come down in price by then?

What is it specifically that you like about Tizen (Samsung's Smart TV system)?
Mainly how the tv guide on the integrated freeview is laid out. I don't have a TV box so will use the inbuilt freeview. Not as fussed about Apps or OnDemand as can do all of that through the Xbox.

So pick up a KS series if you still can
Even if it's an ex-display model? I kinda worried by them being on 12hrs a day in a shop wearing them out?

I can up my budget to £900 if you think that'd make a difference although don't think can justify spending a grand on a TV, particularly when I'll be shelling out £500 on a new xbox too.

D

Deleted member

Another thing I forgot to ask about was in reviews of the ks8000/9000 I've seen reoccuring mention of dimming issues, blooming and colour banding when using HDR. Are these really noticeable to the relatively untrained eye? Should it be a concern to put me off buying?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Would you rate any of those better than the ks8000/9000? I can hold off buying until late October so hopefully they may come down in price by then?

There should be some price drops, but the biggest single drop for many models have been at the start of winter/'Black Friday'. They won't come down to £700-800 brand new until next year though.

I can up my budget to £900 if you think that'd make a difference although don't think can justify spending a grand on a TV, particularly when I'll be shelling out £500 on a new xbox too.

You can spend £5000 on fancy tyres, superchargers, ECU upgrades, new suspension bits and so on but you're not going to get the full race car experience if you connect them to a Honda Jazz.

Like many things in life, the initial attractive low price can be a long way below what the total cost is.

If you're not happy with the current price tag for HDR as a whole, then put the money aside and see what it costs in three years time. It sounds like you're perfectly happy with your current Xbox One and 32" TV.

Alternatively, consider what cheaper TVs do give you and whether that appeals. Going from 32" to 49" is a huge upgrade in size which brings plenty of benefits of it's own.

Another thing I forgot to ask about was in reviews of the ks8000/9000 I've seen reoccuring mention of dimming issues, blooming and colour banding when using HDR. Are these really noticeable to the relatively untrained eye? Should it be a concern to put me off buying?

The blooming is just a limitation of the local dimming systems at this price. The higher end sets like the KS9500 and ZD9 have less of it with their smaller dimming zones, and direct emission screens like OLEDs eliminate it entirely.

The KS series seems to be the point where most reviewers agree that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. Reviews of cheaper models with more basic local dimming like LG's LCDs often include comments that the picture quality is better with it turned off.

Dodgexander

The only concern of a display model would be burn in and that will only happen if they have kept static images on the screen for a very long time. Make sure you can return it if you aren't happy to be sure though.

Endless has already echo'd what I would say about the other things, try to find a single tv without complaints, there is no such thing. The KS series is still the best bet unless you wait for the other models 2017 to come down in price.

Most people won't notice these kinda traits though, gotta remember reports on here and online are from people who have been unlucky, got faulty panels or are extra sensitive to these traits themselves, 99% of people who buy the KS series wouldn't come on here as they had no problem so they felt they didn't need too.

Believe me, Samsung ship a lot of TVs, more than anyone else, there are no more complaints with them than other brands!

D

Deleted member

Thanks. I'm definitely upgrading as my current TV isn't 4K.
I looked at the XD93 although the input lag is too high for me for gaming.
Sounds like the KS series is the one for me, I'll keep an eye out for the best deal before Xbox releases.
Thanks for your help

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom