4K to become mainstream by 2017 (again) and Global TV market set for growth in 2013

hodg100

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
22 Million Ultra HD TVs to be shipped in 2017

The global decline in the TV market is set to be arrested this year and is actually set for growth in 2013, following a fall in shipments 6% in 2013, according to a report from Futuresource. The report also concludes that 4K Ultra HD is set to go mainstream by 2017, echoing the thoughts of Samsung, although it looks like they're using FutureSource's data in any case.

"Our forecasts show emerging markets will grow by 6% this year, accounting for over 60% of worldwide TV volumes," says Simon Bryant, Head of Consumer Electronics at Futuresource Consulting. "Meanwhile, developed markets continue to shrink as flat panels approach saturation point and market stimuli such as analogue switch off and government incentive schemes come to an end. However, the global picture remains encouraging, with 4% CAGR expected to 2017, when annual shipments will exceed 270 million units and emerging markets will account for 67%.

The report says that whilst 4K is very much in its incubation period, at present, it is making its presence known both in the media and within the industry. It's predicted that Global 4K TV shipments will grow from just 62,000 units last year, to 780,000 in 2013 and 22 million units in 2017, with the arrival of 4K content and increased consumer awareness helping to boost sales from 2015 onwards.

attachment.php

China is currently at the forefront of 4K rollout, driven by relatively low-priced sets from its major domestic brands. However most global TV brands will launch a range of 4K TVs by the end of this year, with North America tipped to be a key market due to strong consumer appetite for large screens.

As we've said a number of times, the manufacturers are looking for the next big thing after 3D not taking off.

"LCD TV panel manufacturers and premium TV brands have been looking for the next hot trigger to accelerate flat panel replacement. 3D in the home was an attempt to achieve this and it has yet to become the solid success that many had hoped for," says Bryant.

The report reflects that 4K represents a more natural progression for the industry, than 3D, but one that brings its own challenges with intricacies of producing 4K panels at high yield rates and the complexities of delivering the bandwidth-hungry content.

"Substantial compression improvements provided by the HEVC codec will smooth the way for broadcast, and although the real-time encoding required for live transmission is still embryonic, solutions are being trialled and evaluated," continued Bryant.

Source: FutureSource

Attachments

• uhdtv.jpg
    uhdtv.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 592
Trend goes vs larger n larger tv screens 55" isnt a "big" tv anymore 4k with tvs over 60" is what will sell them to the public when.. 4K content with games and movies are mainstreem ...

I remain unconvinced.

it is too expensive and there is no decent Ultra HD camcorder for people to buy and use it. But it will be great to see what happens when it take off. Full HD stuff is fantastic anyway.

Do we really need 4K? Especially when it's only really going to be beneficial on very large screen Tv's, which the biggest majority of the buying public are never going to have. Even more so here in the UK because of our small room sizes.

i think the cards are firmly stacked against 4K succeeding quickly, if at all, without a reasonable price point for 55" - 65", mainstream broadcast support, a hdmi standard across the board, and av equipment, not to mention broadband solution. the forecasts don't mean much in the real world at this point, without the abundant variables solved, standardised, and marketed mainstream in the right way.

in the meantime i will enjoy my magnificent ZT

4k only works with OLED with me. Having seen a demo of a 4k LCD, I wouldn't touch it.

Just can't wait for 4k with OLED though.

Panasonic already selling a 4k plasma ,so next year hopfully that will go into smaller panels aswell...

4k is commming fast may be a few that regrett spending big money this year on tvs after ces 2014

i think the cards are firmly stacked against 4K succeeding quickly, if at all, without a reasonable price point for 55" - 65", mainstream broadcast support, a hdmi standard across the board, and av equipment, not to mention broadband solution. the forecasts don't mean much in the real world at this point, without the abundant variables solved, standardised, and marketed mainstream in the right way.

in the meantime i will enjoy my magnificent ZT

What do you call a reasonable price point for a 55" to 65" cos the prices I've seen even now are not much more than the cost of a ZT, £4000 will get the 55" F9000 Samsung (and that's RRP) which from what I've read comes with a media box for attaching things to that can be easily upgraded to hdmi2 spec (and might even be a free upgrade for early adopters) , also Sony have promised early adopters will be looked after to ensure comparability with future 4k hardware. I would be amazed if Sky aren't broadcasting a 4k channel by the end of next year and with H265 4K streaming should be perfectly achievable on a good broadband connection and definitely not a problem on fibre. With the PS4 coming it's just something else to bear in mind, if I was confident 1080p would be good enough for the next 5 years then I wouldn't be so hesitant but I really don't think that's going to be the case, I expect in 2 or 3 years 4k material will be pretty readily available and that alone is reason enough for me not to spend silly money on a 1080p TV right now, imagine the hit prices are going to take over the next few years for one thing. The only problem of course is that 4k sets are currently LED only (well affordable ones anyway) and we all know what issues most of them have , doesn't mean it's impossible to get one that's half decent but it's sure as hell more of a lottery!

Cheers
Andy

More intresting is 2 day..... 55" curved oled is out in usa .... FINALLY!!!!

just days before samsung

Now bring us 4K oleds at ifa 2014 as sony n panasonic did taaaa...

What do you call a reasonable price point for a 55" to 65" cos the prices I've seen even now are not much more than the cost of a ZT, £4000 will get the 55" F9000 Samsung (and that's RRP) which from what I've read comes with a media box for attaching things to that can be easily upgraded to hdmi2 spec (and might even be a free upgrade for early adopters) , also Sony have promised early adopters will be looked after to ensure comparability with future 4k hardware. I would be amazed if Sky aren't broadcasting a 4k channel by the end of next year and with H265 4K streaming should be perfectly achievable on a good broadband connection and definitely not a problem on fibre. With the PS4 coming it's just something else to bear in mind, if I was confident 1080p would be good enough for the next 5 years then I wouldn't be so hesitant but I really don't think that's going to be the case, I expect in 2 or 3 years 4k material will be pretty readily available and that alone is reason enough for me not to spend silly money on a 1080p TV right now, imagine the hit prices are going to take over the next few years for one thing. The only problem of course is that 4k sets are currently LED only (well affordable ones anyway) and we all know what issues most of them have , doesn't mean it's impossible to get one that's half decent but it's sure as hell more of a lottery!

Cheers
Andy

reasonable price point i was referring to 4k OLED, which for me is the only type of 4K i'm interested in really.

reasonable price point i was referring to 4k OLED, which for me is the only type of 4K i'm interested in really.

Ah ok, well I reckon about 5 years for reasonable prices on 4k oled, hopefully it will be worth the wait :)

Ah ok, well I reckon about 5 years for reasonable prices on 4k oled, hopefully it will be worth the wait :)

yeah and my Zt will be worth tuppence by then lol, but i just couldn't wait any longer, the 65" was just too big for my flat in the end, so i did splash out on myself (no wife who wants a kitchen you see)..and why not

Cant wait 2 read the sony w9 review here soon it will point the way on how 4k will look on "normal" tvs

Edit it was up... fantastic review with a quote that a few should think abt..

anyone who says that the difference between 4K and 1080p isn't that obvious, clearly hasn't made the comparison

4K vs 2K is like Sd to Hd cant wait..

Last edited:
Cant wait 2 read the sony w9 review here soon it will point the way on how 4k will look on "normal" tvs

Edit it was up... fantastic review with a quote that a few should think abt..

anyone who says that the difference between 4K and 1080p isn't that obvious, clearly hasn't made the comparison

4K vs 2K is like Sd to Hd cant wait..

by the same token, people have to take into account theres more to a picture than resolution!

OLED is going to be a lot more affordable than people think.

Competition rules.

Cheers
Andy

Well said that man.

Competition rules.

i hope so vism...i still believe there having trouble with the tech from the reports i have read. i think it will take a while to get right. of course CES 2014 should be the year of 4K.

Only 5 and a bit Months to go.

Competition rules.

Yeh its always new models and they will be selling out older sets for cheaper so its just to wait untill the right time n strike

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom