• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

4K Test Channel

eddiewww

Established Member
Hi All,

Bit of a noobie Q, but having read that there is a test channel being broadcast in 4K, i thought i would have a look. I disconnected the cable from my Sky box and plugged it into my TV and tuned it in. I picked up all the channels i would have expected, but didn't see anything obvious for the test channel. I then cycled through them all to see if i could find it, but nothing.

Where would i "find" it?

cheers

TJT1

Distinguished Member
If it's a freesat TV, you won't. You need to tune it manually in non-freesat mode. I don't have the 28E tp parameters instantly to hand, but I expect someone will be along in a bit and tell you.

eddiewww

Established Member

logiciel

There's nothing to it on a Sky machine, except that it doesn't produce the channel!
I haven't tried it on anything else yet, but is there something to prevent it on Sky machines glt?

BigD18t

Distinguished Member
Probably not being a tuner that's able to decode it i would guess.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
EEEK!

That sounds a wee bit complex...i'll have a bit of a read around, i'm sure it is easier than it first sounds.

Thanks guys.

12441 Transponder Frequency
V Vertical Polarisation
DVB-S2 Modulation mode
QPSK Quadrature Phase Shift Keying Modulation
29500 Symbol Rate
3/4 Forward Error Correction - FEC

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
There's nothing to it on a Sky machine, except that it doesn't produce the channel!
I haven't tried it on anything else yet, but is there something to prevent it on Sky machines glt?

Lack of H265 decoding I guess, you need a UHD (4K) tuner (as on some LG TV's I believe).

Even if you could see the channel you can't watch as your box hasn't got 4K output.

Last edited:

Jonny76

Established Member
Astra UHD 4k demo channel, Thus settings installed from my Samsung TV.

Menu>Broadcasting>aerial, satellite.
Menu>Broadcsting>Channel settings>Satellite system>Satellite selection, select astra 28.2E.
Menu>Broadcsting>Auto Tuning, start auto tuning and select reinitalise. and select Astra 28.2E
Menu>Broadcsting>Channel settings>manual tuning> select Astra 28.2E, press scan.

Now enter in the transponder/frequency details, scroll all the way down till you see New, enter 12441, 29500 and vertical. Then select Search. The 4K channel should now display.

Have fun!

PS, Its only a short loop (approx 15mins) so switched the cable back into my Sky box from the TV within minutes.

Not enough content on there to warrant running an extra feed off the LNB but its all set up for a formal roll out.

Last edited:

JH4

Prominent Member
Resolution is 3840 X 2160P, btw. Some amazing close-ups near the end of the clip. ( Sony 55X93C on the Sat. tuner.)

logiciel

Thanks glt. I might try it on the LG TV some time.

logiciel

Yes.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
I'm sure we've had this conversation before Logi, I remember being shocked that you seemed to think the Sky box would playback the 4K test. :D

logiciel

You're easily shocked.

eddiewww

Established Member
Astra UHD 4k demo channel, Thus settings installed from my Samsung TV.

Menu>Broadcasting>aerial, satellite.
Menu>Broadcsting>Channel settings>Satellite system>Satellite selection, select astra 28.2E.
Menu>Broadcsting>Auto Tuning, start auto tuning and select reinitalise. and select Astra 28.2E
Menu>Broadcsting>Channel settings>manual tuning> select Astra 28.2E, press scan.

Now enter in the transponder/frequency details, scroll all the way down till you see New, enter 12441, 29500 and vertical. Then select Search. The 4K channel should now display.

Have fun!

PS, Its only a short loop (approx 15mins) so switched the cable back into my Sky box from the TV within minutes.

Not enough content on there to warrant running an extra feed off the LNB but its all set up for a formal roll out.

Thanks...will check it out when I get home!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom